PDA

View Full Version : Mountain bike touring Prep!!

snowtulip
06-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi Everyone,
Just a little over a week before I start the entire Colorado Trail, I can smell the singletrack!

So today was my first ride with my panniers fully loaded, I did a trail with lots of singletrack switchbacks to see how well it works. Wow...having an additional 20-25 lbs. on your rear is something to get used to! I also forgot it's difficult to bunnyhop with those panniers!

I had a full experience with them, worked the switchbacks, worked steep hills, worked steep downhills. As an added bonus, I was rained and hailed on...so I got to feel the traction on slippery dirt and yes, my panniers are actually waterproof.

All and all, a good experience and wake up call. The only bad part of today is that I took my camelback off to put my rain jacket on and left my camelback in the mountains! Luckily everything I normally have in my pack was in the panniers. I'll head back up tomorrow to get it, unless a bear took off with it (I had some yummy cherry lara bars in the pack).

So excited for next week to be here, I could be in a lot better shape for this trip (but with school, work, life, it gets difficult). Yet after today, I'm feeling better. Is it next week yet! :D

SadieKate
06-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Are you going with a pro guided group, on your own, what? I can't remember - does the CO Trail have huts? What's your plan? Do you have a favorite link? I'd like to read more.

MomOnBike
06-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Oooh, another tour! :D

Are you going to write a journal for all of us to enjoy?

I'll refrain from asking all the million and two questions I have and just ask you to tell us all about it.

(listening hard)

CorsairMac
06-29-2005, 10:21 AM
*hugs* I couldn't remember when your trip was Snow - :eek: just a week away??.......you are going to have such a blast!! yes yes yes - we want to hear all about it when you get back!!!!!

snowtulip
07-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Hi Everyone,
This is a self-supported tour (me and my hubby), the Colorado Trail goes from Denver to Durango, and is on some of the most beautiful singletrack. The trail distance is 450 miles, but we'll be doing an additional 200-300 miles because we have to detour around wilderness (mtbikes not allowed).

I've learned from Denise Goldberg on her posts, so this weekend I plan on starting a journal at crazyguyonabike.com. I won't be able to post often (we only have three city stops planned), but will update fully upon my return.

I've done sections in the past (small rides) and it's always beautiful. This is a picture on Monarch Crest Trail, a part of which is the Colorado Trail and Continental Divide Trail, from last year.

I've never done 20 days straight of riding, so it will be a new experience. Also hubby and I agreed not to talk to each other the first three days (if he even starts to ask if I could pedal faster...) since we'll both be a little grumpy getting used to the altitude.

Once I start my journal, I'll let you all know.

Enjoy!

mumbles
09-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Did you make it back or did the bears get ya? Curious what you took for food since you weren't planning on hitting up too many towns.