PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shop Recommendations: St. Louis

Ana
06-13-2009, 06:28 AM
I am planning to travel to St. Louis sometime this summer and would like to test ride some frame while I'm there. I'm very curious about titanium and high-end steel frames and would love to test ride some! Unfortunately, the bike shops in my area do not have bikes in my size to test ride so I'm hoping that traveling to a different city will expand my options.

Any suggestions of places to go? I trust recommendations here and I see from my search that there are LOTS of bike shops in the city!

I will only be there 3-5 days but would consider renting a bike that fits me for the time I'm there (if the shop allows it...).

Thanks!

TrekTheKaty
06-13-2009, 07:15 AM
We do have a lot of bike shops here. Do you have a manufacturer in mind? I'll give you a list of shops I'm familiar with, but you might want to call and see what they have in stock before you visit--to narrow it down. What part of town will you be staying in?

Tour of Missouri is Sept 7-13th, if you have your choice of dates.

Big Shark is a nationally ranked shop near Forest Park. I didn't find anything there for me, but their website is bigshark.com. They host a lot of local races and a bike team.

We also frequent Ghisallo in Chesterfield Valley. They host rides and seem to cater to higher-end bikes and triathletes. ghisallosports.com

We purchased our Trek street bikes from Momentum Cycles (there is also a Trek store on Manchester Rd.) They have several locations--one is on the Katy Trail in St. Charles. They definitely rent. (If you have time to bike part of the Katy--Defiance, MO is a good start. The Defiance bike shop also rents.

Then there is always Touring Cyclist (my husband bought my first hybrid there, and they host several local/international organized rides).

Alpine Shop is a fun stop. They have everything outdoors--don't know that they have what you want in bicycles--but stop by anyway. They host rock climbing classes, kayak classes, etc.

We also have an REI at the Galleria. Not a great selection of bikes, but fun selection of accessories.

Ana
06-13-2009, 07:36 AM
I was hoping to ride one of the following brands:

Seven
Independent Fabrication
Litespeed
Lynskey
Waterford
Serotta

I found Maplewood Bicycle which has many of these brands so I might see how close it is to my destination. I am not sure in what part of St. Louis I will be staying.

I have already begun contacting the shops :)

Thanks!

TrekTheKaty
06-13-2009, 09:13 AM
I've never been to Maplewood, but DH says his cycling buddy is a regular (likes the bike fitter). After checking out their website, I think I'll head over. Thanks :)

uforgot
06-14-2009, 12:32 AM
If you are looking for those brands, Maplewood is the shop you need to go to. They have been in business a long time, and have a good reputation. I haven't purchased a bike there, but it seems like I always see them fitting someone, so they seem to be the go to shop for that. There is another shop that has Waterford and Heron, but I wasn't impressed and won't go back. Bike fit? He said that wasn't necessary, that people are too concerned about it and could you believe some people actually travel to the factory to get fit? What a waste of time according to the guy who was in the shop. Big surprise that I was the only customer in there.

Others that have been great are Big Shark, Trek bike store, and Alpine Shop. I've not been to Ghisallo, but Fastdogs recommends it.

Have a good trip and make sure you hit Maplewood for the Lynskys!

silver
06-14-2009, 04:05 AM
I live three hours away and drove to St. Louis to buy my Cervelo. I bought it at Big Shark. They spent at leat 6 hours total fitting me. And I'm very happy. I paid the retail price but it was worth it for the fit.

I have a friend who has been fitted at both Big Shark and Maplewood and I think that he was more impressed with the computerized fitting techniques at Maplewood. Also, I don't remember seeing the brands that you mentioned at Big Shark.

Ana
06-14-2009, 07:42 AM
I e-mailed Maplewood and someone got back to me the same day! He was professional and friendly and said if I gave them advanced notice, they could build up a few frames I could ride! :D

I'm so excited :)

I'll let you know how it goes....and if I end up with a new bike.... :p If it's perfect, I just might have to get it....

uforgot
06-14-2009, 07:49 AM
I e-mailed Maplewood and someone got back to me the same day! He was professional and friendly and said if I gave them advanced notice, they could build up a few frames I could ride! :D

I'm so excited :)

I'll let you know how it goes....and if I end up with a new bike.... :p If it's perfect, I just might have to get it....

I think if you get a bike, that the St. Louis peeps get to see it in person before you leave!

Ana
06-14-2009, 07:55 AM
I think if you get a bike, that the St. Louis peeps get to see it in person before you leave!

That sounds reasonable ;)

I'm sort of hoping that I won't find the perfect bike so I won't have to spend the money....but if I do, you are all welcome to see it (and touch it ;))

I would have to ship it back home but the perfect bike would be worth it :)

I'm just excited at the prospect of being on a nice frame that fits me!!!

TrekTheKaty
06-14-2009, 08:24 AM
and said if I gave them advanced notice, they could build up a few frames I could ride! :D

:eek: Really?! Wow. I hate to say it, but that is a better response than I got from Big Shark. I didn't want to say anything bad about them--but I was a newbie, we dropped in and they only had two frames I could ride. They seemed disinterested. I figured I must have looked clueless. I planned on giving them another try--but now I want to check out Maplewood!

I'm in. We can meet you there--surely I've passed uforgot somewhere and just didn't know! Just give me advance notice so I can ditch the husband and find the check book :D

uforgot
06-14-2009, 08:38 AM
If you ride the Katy Trail a lot, you've probably passed Fastdogs too!

I ditched the husband ten years ago and have my own checkbook. Fastdogs? What about you?

lattae
06-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Maplewood is the place to go for a great bike fit and if you're interested in Lynskey they do carry them. Tim Ray is the fitter and is great. I bought my Lemond Zurich from Maplewood about 5 years ago and I had some problems with knee pain at times so went back for some adjustments on the bike. I'm interested in purchasing a Lynskey in the future and will definitely make my purchase at Maplewood when that time comes. They recently renovated their shop so the fit area is cornered off for more privacy for the customer and Tim.. Tim really takes the time to listen to your concerns and in my opinion is the best fitter around in the St Louis area. You won't go wrong at Maplewood. Let us know if you do purchase your new bike from this shop... I'm hoping to make a purchase probably in the next year or so depending on our economic situation. Maplewood does carry the high end bikes you had mentioned.

fastdogs
06-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I am a golf widow with a 5 year old. I don't get to ride that much any more.,
I spent the weekend at the emergency vet's- I have no more money.

I got my trek hybrid at ghisallo's, but when I went looking for mountain bikes I had to look elsewhere- no selection and they were trying to sell me what they had, which probably wasn't what I needed.

The trek store has always been very helpful, although I've never bought a bike there. I've never been to the maplewood shop. There is a new bike shop in fenton, I've only been there once. The bike shop in eureka recently shut down.

Alpine shop has a great selection (I've only really checked out the mountain bikes) and are great to deal with. We are meeting there saturday for a women's mountain bike ride, and they host some clinics as well.

vickie
no money, no more room on credit cards, and I don't even have my poor dog home yet.
two mostly unridden bikes