PDA

View Full Version : Cable Housing

Heifzilla
06-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Can the same type of cable housing be used over brake cables and derailleur cables? Or do each type of cable have its own special type of casing?

Oh, and another question. Can BMX brake cables be used with road bikes or are they entirely different? I found some awesome hot pink cables and I'd love to use them on my my new project bike but I want to make sure they'd fit.

TIA!

DebW
06-13-2009, 06:13 AM
No, they each have their special housing. Though years ago both used the same, which is still used for brake cables. Indexed shifting requires special low-compression housing. BMX brake cables will probably work on a road bike, though I'm not sure if the BMX cable might be a bit thicker. If it fits through your housing and operates properly, it should be fine.

Heifzilla
06-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks, Deb!

IvonaDestroi
06-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Can the same type of cable housing be used over brake cables and derailleur cables? Or do each type of cable have its own special type of casing?

Oh, and another question. Can BMX brake cables be used with road bikes or are they entirely different? I found some awesome hot pink cables and I'd love to use them on my my new project bike but I want to make sure they'd fit.

TIA!

If you have index shifting then you do need a different housing then the brakes... index shifter housings have longitude cables down the length and brake housings are wound in coils.

I found this vid very helpful when I did my housings, I just learned how to do that last week:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4975590_cut-bikes-cable-housing.html

If you have some of those old school smooth shifters, not the index kind, then you can actually use brake housings on them. (My old gitane project has these, so I only needed one type of housing). you know like suicide shifters:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd241/IvonaDestroi/new%20project/DSCF6448.jpg

I don't know anything about BMX housings/cables. weee learning bikes is fun!