PDA

View Full Version : Whoops: $84 Mistake

Reesha
06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Yesterday, I decided to be more industrious about my errands and go by bike. I was pretty excited about this prospect as I'd never really been on my bike through the eastern end of downtown, St. Louis (I live on the west end of downtown and generally only ride west). As I arrive at my first stop, I take out my lock and lock my rear wheel and frame to a sturdy tree in front of the shop. I go about my business, come back out and grab my keys. *Cue psycho music*

I didn't have my lock keys with me. :rolleyes: Usually they were on my key chain with my car keys and the only other key I knew of was 15 miles away at my work. I hadn't the foggiest clue where I'd left my other keys (and why I'd taken them off my key chain in the first place).

My first thought was, "How am I going to convince anyone that this is my bike and I'm not trying to steal it!" :eek: I was all decked out from head to toe in a bike outfit. I could probably have produced a few different forms of ID from Lake Placid, NY which would match the shop sticker on the bike. After obsessing for a minute, I flagged down a cop and he pulled over.

He examined the situation, cheerfully offered, "Well, I could shoot it :cool:" (I couldn't tell if he was serious, but explained that I was uncomfortable with him shooting anywhere close to my bike.) After trying for a while to break it with his bare hands, he said: "Call a locksmith". Bummer sauce! I figured a cop could at least cut the measly little cable and a well-seasoned cop could pick the lock. He felt bad that he couldn't help but probably had better stuff to do, it being St. Louis.

Now a locksmith in Lake Placid (my former city of residence) cost me $20. Naively believing that it couldn't cost too much more I called a locksmith from my cell. They came within 25 minutes. He attempted to pick the lock for about a minute then gave up and lopped off my lock. The whole ordeal took perhaps 3 minutes. He then rang everything up and I was handed the 84 dollar bill. I guess I'm not in the country anymore! Still-- considering the locksmith was located just a few blocks away and that the whole cutting/paying process took the guy approximately ten minutes of his time, 84 dollars seems a bit steep.

I felt pretty sheepish though... next lock will almost certainly be a combination lock!!!

Tri Girl
06-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh no!:eek:
I have a combination lock for that very reason. I went to a race one time and had my bike locked on my car's bike rack. Got to race, and realized the key was at home. D'oh! DH had to meet me halfway to give me the key before he had to be at work. I use a combination lock every time now- I'm too forgetful.
$84 seems really steep- especially since he only spent maybe 10 min. there. I guess you could've ridden the bus back to the office, gotten the key, ridden back and saved yourself some money. Then again, maybe it was worth the convenience to not have to leave your bike to a thief who may have lopped the lock off and taken off with your bike (then it would've cost MUCH more than $84). I'm trying to see the bright side here- tho it would be hard to see the bright side if I were in your shoes.
Glad your bike is free once again. :)

TrekTheKaty
06-12-2009, 01:41 PM
BUMMER! Of course, a lesson here is--a lock that can be cut off that easy is useless in front of a thief. Make sure that new combo lock is heavy duty!

NoNo
06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
*Note to self: make sure keys are with lock.*

That's a bummer! Reminds me of last year when I lost the key to my apartment. Naturally, I hadn't gotten around to making copies for anyone.:rolleyes: Didn't call the landlord because I specifically remembered when moving in him telling me not to bother, to just call a locksmith. Waited an hour for him to show up (it was 11pm Sunday), took him an hour and a half of drilling to finally replace the lock, and $350 later I was all set:eek: Called my landlord the next day to let him know and he says "Why didn't you call me?":mad::mad::mad: Day 91 after the 90 warranty: lock breaks, and I'm out another $150 (the guy felt bad and only charged me half). Moral of the story: make copies of your keys!!!

irrealised
06-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Ugh, that was an expensive mistake.

I always keep my bike locks locked, for that very reason. I figure if I have to unlock them to use them, then I must have the key with me!

Reesha
06-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Ugh, that was an expensive mistake.

I always keep my bike locks locked, for that very reason. I figure if I have to unlock them to use them, then I must have the key with me!

That's a great idea!!

fidlfreek
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Ok. WOW, a few months ago I called a locksmith in TX who came and spent 40 minutes trying to pick, then drill the lock. Then he replaced the lock on my apartment. And charged me $100. Total. I'm guessing these things vary WILDLY but for 10 minutes I would think that common sense would call for a lower price.

I'm guessing the guy ripped you off since he didn't have a set price for "bike lock removal" on his little invoice list so he made something up. $84 sounds a lot like $75+tax.

I too use a bike lock with a key but I store the key in the lock - removing it only when the lock is actually keeping the bike safe outside a bar. Your story surely gives me pause to think though....

Groundhog
06-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a combo lock (when I remember to use it) because of that reason. My DH just got a new lock and you have to have the key to lock it. In other words it won't lock unless the key is in the lock, so if you are attaching the lock to a post you have to have the key right there or it won't lock. I still like my combo better.

Of course, I forgot to lock my commuter bike a month ago and a thief took it, along with all my attachments...fenders, mirror, lights, rack and helmet. That set me back over $400.