PDA

View Full Version : 3:30am basketball dribbling

shootingstar
06-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Lots of outdoor fitness activities that happen around in our neighbourhood-- including someone dribbling the basketball in the outdoor court ..very early in morning. :eek:

Methinks person probably wanted to get their fitness dibs in rising twilight on that space because 3 hrs. later there is an outdoor aerobic exercise group boot camp doing their thing. Plus 3 other different groups in different park locations or free public space outdoors, doing same thing when one cycles around the area.

Yep, that sound. Oh well, at least we are not real close to the outdoor skateboard park area.

Biciclista
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
we hear that around midnight sometimes. I like it better than the sound of gunshots.

Zen
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I guess I'm spoiled living out in the nether lands. Some nights I can hear the bugs breathe.That thump thump thump would annoy the hail out of me.

PamNY
06-10-2009, 12:47 PM
we hear that around midnight sometimes. I like it better than the sound of gunshots.

That's a great perspective.

Pam

shootingstar
06-10-2009, 02:30 PM
I guess I'm spoiled living out in the nether lands. Some nights I can hear the bugs breathe.That thump thump thump would annoy the hail out of me.

Though we live in heart of the city, many stories aboveground, we do regularily hear birds twittering early morning, the occasional car..

Basketball dribbling so early is actually rare. I was impressed that someone was motivated enough to be out there so early.

Other outdoor fitness activities that we hear from home, is the yelling by team leads for the dragon boat paddlers either competing or practicing. There is a heavily used creek area for dragon boaters and kayakers. Drumming only happens once a year and not often other times.

And the cyclists by comparison are quiet, lost among the faint roar of traffic. We can see some major bike routes that are used often. Too bad critical mass rides don't use these particular routes, they go elsewhere.

There is a local residents' group that is abit vocal about the "noise" and temporary traffic blockages for annual major marathons, walks. This is thousands of participant which start with occasional warmups with bullhorn, music, etc. There's several that start in our area.

It's not a big deal to myself and partner because the events don't happen often and when they do, they are positive, life-affirming type of sports events. My partner recently received a petition of neighbours in opposition to such events. He wrote back, that he supported such events as long as they are well-organized, etc. that such events make a city livable, and build community. He was annoyed because there are some wealthy neighbourhoods where rarely do such events don't route through there....some influence most likely from residents there to city hall since city hall grants organizations permission for event/route planning and work on traffic management issues with police, etc.

mimi: Once a upon a time, I did live in a Toronto neighbourhood where I heard a gunshot at night. It happened just down the block.

Tuckervill
06-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I have no tolerance for basketball dribbling during the noise ordinance hours (10 p.m. to 6 a.m.). My crossthestreet neighbor was up at midnight doing some carpentry, using his Skil saw in the front yard. :eek: It's not my job to enforce the ordinance, so I called the police and asked them to do it. He was really nice about it (I could hear their whole conversation through my bedroom window, about 50 yards away--sound carries at night). I felt bad for him, just trying to get some work done, but I was trying to sleep.

I do NOT feel sorry for basketball dribblers.

Karen