PDA

View Full Version : LBS ripped my saddle:(

flyingpig
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking on TE for a little while, but this is my first post. I am always so impressed with the support and encouragement offered to other riders here- what a great community this is;)

Here is my dilemma: I recently brought my bike in to my lbs for a tune up. On the ride home, I felt something strange rubbing the inside of my leg. Once home, I looked and found that the guys at the lbs had sliced the leather of my saddle about 1 1/2 inches along the edge. (I know it wasn't there before because I rode it in to get tuned up and would obviously have been able to feel it- and I just washed it before I brought it in and would have seen any tears.)
I didn't have time to deal with it then and didn't get back to the lbs until over a week later. When I told one of the guys there what happened he just said "sorry."
It's not that big of a deal- I put a piece of duct tape over it and it's been ok. I don't expect them to replace it or anything, but maybe just some acknowledgment? Some store credit? True my wheels? Tune-up? Ideas on how to fix it?
I've had this bike (a sweet Scott Contessa Speedster) for less that a year and she doesn't deserve the duct tape treatment quite yet.

If I go back and talk to the owner (very nice guy who sold me the bike and spent a lot of time fitting me, etc.) will that seem whiney/pushy? Am I justified feeling a little shafted here?

Thanks,
Erin

smilingcat
06-05-2009, 10:11 PM
don't wait!! give him a call firsrt thing in the morning and explain what happened.

If I were the LBS owner and got a call like that, I may have doubts but got go with "customer is right" and give you a discount or some sort of freebie. Cause in this climate, last thing a good business owner needs is to lose a customer.

Besides, you are telling the truth. so why be shy or reluctant about it?

Now go right down what you want to say to him, the facts A, B, C... and practice what you are going to say for tomorrow.

tantrumbean
06-06-2009, 01:59 AM
AFAIC they should replace the saddle!

Mr. Bloom
06-06-2009, 02:55 AM
To be fair, waiting a week makes it tougher for them, but they should replace the saddle. Talk to the owner...

Zen
06-06-2009, 04:45 AM
If I go back and talk to the owner (very nice guy who sold me the bike and spent a lot of time fitting me, etc.) will that seem whiney/pushy?

This is a conditioned female reaction. The answer is HELLNO you're not "whiny". They were negligent and they need to make it right.
In a situation like this just ask yourself, What Would Judge Judy do?
or WWJJD :D

ny biker
06-06-2009, 08:07 AM
This is a conditioned female reaction. The answer is HELLNO you're not "whiny". They were negligent and they need to make it right.
In a situation like this just ask yourself, What Would Judge Judy do?
or WWJJD :D

What she said.

MartianDestiny
06-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Yes, waiting a week does make things seem iffy from the LBS's point of view.

BUT, you should DEFINITELY go back and talk to the store owner. Reasonably and levelheadedly (which it sounds like you are more than). I'd be asking for a new saddle, or at the very least an extremely steep discount on one!

sundial
06-06-2009, 06:33 PM
It's not that big of a deal- I put a piece of duct tape over it and it's been ok.

It is a big deal. You shouldn't have to stick duct tape over a damaged saddle. They damaged it and they should make it right by offering to replace the saddle--free of charge. It's the principle of the idea.