PDA

View Full Version : Friday Nights at the Velodrome

Pink Kona
06-27-2005, 01:05 PM
This year has been filled with many firsts - road races, crits, time trials, and track racing. On Friday night I was able to participate in my first ever track race and had a blast. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where we have a velodrome and there's enough women involved that we can actually race one another. It's gaining popularity - but nothing in comparison to other countries in the world.

Anyhow - we did a 10 lap scratch race and I was positioned near the rail during the attack. I didn't leave myself an escape route so when the final sprint came I was only able to get 4th. Luckily you have multiple races in one night - so if one of them doesn't go as planned you have more races you can focus on. The next race was a 10 lap snowball. I had a break away with Taylor, this 15 year old experienced track racer - and we nabbed the first 5 laps of points. Then I was overcome by two other riders and managed to get some points- placing 3rd. The last race was a 4x4 points race - with a couple of premes intermixed. I went for the premes instead of the points and ended up placing 4th in overall omnium points. It was a great experience and I'm already looking forward to this Friday's event.

If you have a velodrome near you - I highly recommend going. The community is fantastic and atmosphere is great. Everyone is so supportive and even the spectators are encouraging!

Steph_in_TX
06-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Congrats! It sounds like you are having a great time. We have a velodrome here and we love going to the races. I'm too chicken to try it myself...I rather like having brakes on my bike!! I love the roar of the track as the bikes go by.

Steph

Pink Kona
06-27-2005, 02:39 PM
You should try it Steph - it's a blast. All it takes is one afternoon of getting used to the fixed gear and you'll be hooked. Hopefully I will get to come race at your local velodrome in the future!

KSH
06-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Were you in Frisco, TX by any chance? We have one out there... so... maybe?

Yea... no brakes? NO WAY! I need brakes. Not to mention I FEAR hitting ground, because someone has wrecked in front of me. If I am going to wreck me and my bike... it will be because I was an idiot! HA!

But, sounds like you had tons of fun... and that rocks! Maybe I will go watch at our Velodrome sometime! But no riding for me!

Pink Kona
06-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Look at it this way - no one else has brakes either which actually makes it safer than road riding. Plus you don't have to deal with motorist or other moving objects. :) Riding a fixed gear is really easy - you will be instantly reminded that you can't stop pedaling! Or you will only stop pedaling once. You should try it - it's a lot of fun!