PDA

View Full Version : random observations lately

lph
06-03-2009, 05:35 AM
I just read badgers pancake thread (scary! :eek:) and thought of a few random situations I've seen lately.

1. Yesterday, on a busy road, very windy, on my road bike. I'm on the far far right of the bus/taxi lane and get honked at by a taxi driver RIGHT on my left elbow for being in his lane. He felt I should have been over in the bus "pocket" (what's that in English?) where the other cyclist was. Ok, so I could have swung in there just to let him pass, but veering in and out of a lane with traffic is generally not a very good idea. This was right after a light, with another light straight ahead, so no big rush on anybody's part. Ah well.

2. Bike path going home, I'm sort of drafting behind this guy who seems to be in a hurry. He goes a little crazy, and dives past a dude doodling around on a bike weaving from side to side, yelling as he does so. Note to dude - even though you're not in car traffic, you can get hit if you ride like an idiot. You can weave around at the beach. Note to guy in a hurry - use your bell and hit the grass if you have to. Note to self - some people go a little nuts when drafted...

3. Same bike path, early morning. Two little girls riding to school, both of them neatly on the right hand half of the (enormous) bike path. Lefthand girl still manages to veer to the left completely crossing the bike path by the time I come up to pass her :D No fuss, I just swing into the grass and say hi. Note to self - I know little boys squabbling will jump around like kangaroos, but even wellbehaved little girls moving in a straight line will eventually do something weird too.

Biciclista
06-03-2009, 06:19 AM
1. I'd call it the bus lane. not sure though.
3. Yeah, little kids can be dangerous!

badger
06-03-2009, 09:17 AM
in a perfect world we'd all ditch cars and ride bikes! At least bike collisions shouldn't end up with too many fatalities.

I see way too many idiots riding around while talking on the phone!