PDA

View Full Version : Katy Trail....Wow!

KathiCville
06-02-2009, 09:41 AM
I've been visiting St. Louis for the first time this week and was able to spend a couple of hours yesterday riding the Katy Trail on a rental from Momentum Bikes in St. Charles........Wow! What a great trail! I rode from St. Charles down past Green Bottoms, plus a bit of the Creve de Coeur---probably 20-22 miles total. If the heat hadn't been quite so fierce, and I'd had more water with me, I'd have stayed out twice as long.....Anyway, just wanted to tell the St. Louis area TE'ers that this visitor was *very* impressed by the Katy and by what appears to be a cycling-friendly park system overall. Wish I had had more time to ride, but even a small taste of the Katy was terrific! (And the MO Botanical Garden was phenomenal---I spent all day Sunday there and enjoyed every minute of my dawdle!)

uforgot
06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Glad you enjoyed the trail! It is a good one, and the Greenway systems in St. Louis are really coming along. Lots to do, it's great you had such a good experience. You should let us know next time you are in town, maybe we can have a TE ride.

TrekTheKaty
06-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Glad you like it! Come back and start in Weldon Springs and head west. It only gets better.

uforgot
06-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Glad you like it! Come back and start in Weldon Springs and head west. It only gets better.

Yes, it is pretty there and on west. I really love it around Defiance. it's a neat town, with the bike shop and friendly places to eat. Lots of trees and hills, and then in Augusta the brewery.:)

KathiCville
06-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Great! Good to know that other stretches of the Katy offer even more scenery. I'll have to come up with a good excuse to head your way again!

uforgot
06-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm heading your way in a few weeks. My son is coming back from the middle east and I am going to take my bike and drive there. Any good biking recommendations? I'll be in Norfolk and Richmond.

KathiCville
06-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi Claudia......I'm about an hour west of Richmond, so don't know that area of the state as well as I should! I'm more familiar with the Blue Ridge Parkway and places west.

BUT, that being said, I've posted a question on the Mid-Atlantic board and those gals will be able to load you up with their favorite options. (The thread is titled "Favorite rides in, around, and between Norfolk and Richmond") I'm eager myself to hear what they have to say.

I do know that the Richmond area has an active and well-thought of bike club: RABA (Richmond Area Bicycle Association). Their website includes ride suggestions and cue sheets. Check it out at www.raba.org.

The "Northern Neck" and the Williamsburg area are very popular with cyclists and would be within easy reach of where you'll be. I won't be surprised if both pop up in suggestions offered by TE'ers who are closer to the coast than I am!

Glad you're coming to the Old Dominion for a visit!