PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Stats

Veronica
06-27-2005, 05:42 AM
I finally remembered to hit my lap counter for each "official" section on Diablo.

From the North gate to the Junction is 6.4 miles, climbs 1780 feet at an average grade of 5.2.

From the Junction to the Summit is 4.5 miles, climbs 1660 feet at an average grade of 6.9%.

I descended in just over 26 minutes yesterday. I got stuck behind a line of Corvettes! :mad: The same ones who were not good about sharing the road on the ascent. This will scare Jo - I still averaged 24.6 mph. :eek:

V.

aka_kim
06-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Ah, the long-awaited stats. Now we still need info for: Mt. Tam, Mt. Hamilton, Palomares, McKewen, Ink Grade ... Think of the public service you would be providing if you put all this info on a web site, with pics of course. Forget Krebs, we'll all be opening up our Dyson's.

jobob
06-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Here are very detailed stats for the climb from the South Gate; of course once you get to the Junction the climb to the summit is the same as from the north gate approach.

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp/grade/mountdiablo.html

He didn't do the same for the North Gate.

I'll be doing this climb on Saturday:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp/grade/oldlahonda.html

bikerz
06-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Question form the "new gal" (who is marking off the the remaining days until I have to make the attempt! :eek: )

Do you guys ride the North Gate approach over the South gate approach because it is harder/steeper?

SadieKate
06-30-2005, 08:19 AM
I think we ride North Gate more because it is in the middle geographically. I'm coming from Davis and Jo comes from the south bay. Kim - well, it's in her back yard. Also closer for Princess Zippy.

Could be wrong on this though.

SadieKate
06-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Question form the "new gal" (who is marking off the the remaining days until I have to make the attempt! :eek: )So, is there a scheduled attempt?

Veronica
06-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Do you guys ride the North Gate approach over the South gate approach because it is harder/steeper?

Convenience - it's a shorter drive for us.

V.

bikerz
06-30-2005, 11:31 AM
So, is there a scheduled attempt?
Nooooo - Not actually scheduled yet, but I'd like to try for the last weekend (30/31) in July. It's my birthday weekend, so it would be a good way to celebrate (or mourn) my condition, depending on how it goes! :D (Plus a little more time to build up my legs and lungs!)

Trek said she'd do it too, didn't she? I guess I should get a date on the calendar so I have so fixed focus point. Looking at those pictures and grade charts, I can't believe I'm seriously contemplating doing this!

Trek420
06-30-2005, 01:15 PM
bikerz reminds us all "Trek said she'd do it too, didn't she?"

Yes, that she did. Thanks very much for reminding me.

"I guess I should get a date on the calendar so I have so fixed focus point. Looking at those pictures and grade charts, I can't believe I'm seriously contemplating doing this!"

don't look at the charts
:cool: :rolleyes: