PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck

massbikebabe
06-26-2005, 07:10 PM
I know several of you use them, and I have read multiple reviews, But what do you truly love about them/hate about them/and would you recommend something else??? I really want to step up my riding a bit and I think a few extra gizzmo's bolted on my bike will give me the information I am looking for. Right now I am using the TREK version of a cateye.

Thanks in advance for all of your input

karen...slow to become a HR/cadence junky ;)

Trek420
06-26-2005, 07:29 PM
I love flight deck, I miss flight deck. It's the one thing I DON'T like about Campy. Flight deck has everything I need and nothing I don't; cadence, gearing.

I use a wireless Cateye now and it's ok but I miss knowing if I have any gears left.

Veronica
06-26-2005, 07:31 PM
I use the results from HRM monitor when I want to try to ramp up my training. It gives me graphs of speed, altitude and heart rate. I've used that to figure out where in my training rides I tend to slack off and to try to push a little harder there. I like having the info downloaded to my computer because I can look at myself over time.

V.

Carm
06-26-2005, 08:28 PM
I have been using a Flight Deck since April. The greatest benefit of this computer for me is that it tells what that I'm in for both the large and small chainrings. It also gives a gear ratio. I like that I can work the controls with the buttons near my shifter.

Drawbacks: time of day is displayed in military time; sometimes you can accidently reset the computer by pressing the buttons near the shifter (I have done this while clutching my handlebars during a fast downhill descent); may interfer with a HRM; more expensive than other computers.

yellow
06-27-2005, 11:51 AM
I like my flight deck. I especially like that I don't have to monkey around with moving my hands and that it's (mostly) wireless (not so hard to clean around it when there aren't any wires!). I figure the military time thing is good for my brain, so it doesn't bug me that much. I've never messed it up while riding, but my hubby has had that happen with his. But I have small hands, so it's probably harder for me to mess it up!

IMHO, its biggest drawback is no altimeter. And I think this is a VERY BIG drawback. Shimano should make a version with altimeter.

y

MM_QFC!
06-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Hey Trek - but Campy has Ergobrain - which is the equivalent of Shimano's FD...I use Ergobrain and love that it's integrated so I can just thumb-reach to check data, etc.
Thought I'd throw in my $.02 since no one was mentioning the Ergrobrain...
Mary