PDA

View Full Version : My bike got stolen!

sfa
05-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Why does this feel like such a violation? I had just gotten (with my REI birthday giftcard if anyone remembers that!) an Electra Townie for around-town fun riding. I've ridden it exactly once for some errands this week. It was on my porch behind a locked gate and sometime either last night or this morning it was stolen. I hate mean people.

The idiots who took it left my Miyata touring bike that was sitting right next to it that is worth MUCH more and is a much better bike. When I was reporting it to the police I was telling them that my bikes are my transportation--this is how I get to work. And the guy taking the report kind of raised his eyebrows at me and said "you ride all that way?" I don't know if he was impressed or skeptical. It's only 13 miles, so I don't know why he'd be either.

Sarah

PamNY
05-31-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm so sorry. It feels like a violation because it is a violation. That's such a cool bike -- I hope a miracle happens and you get it back.

Pam

NbyNW
05-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Oh no, that sucks!
I hope the bike finds its way back to you.

OakLeaf
05-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Aw, that stinks. I'm sorry that happened to you. :(

madscot13
05-31-2009, 12:09 PM
I am sorry that your bike was stolen. Hopefully things will work out.

Jiffer
05-31-2009, 12:32 PM
I feel your pain. I had a bike stolen when I was in high school. Since I didn't have a lock (dumb), I thought I was being smart and parked it on the side of a big Walmart like store, where it was out of site from most people. But since it was out of site from most people, there was no one to see it being stolen! :( I didn't have it that long either and couldn't afford to replace it.

We had our house robbed a year ago with LOTS of stuff stolen and my bedroom left in shambles, including my underwear drawer. They loaded stuff from the house into my car and took that too. The police found the car torched later. We fully expected our bikes to be gone, but they weren't.

But here's a GOOD story. My sister had a nice bike stolen last summer, devastated her, couldn't afford to replace it and could no longer train for and do triathlons, .... but then won a Specialized Ruby for FREE! She had to write an essay about why she deserved to win the Ruby and, since she apparently had the most pathetic, yet inspiring life story, she won!

Sorry some jerks took your brand new bike. :(

Tri Girl
05-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Thieves suck!!! I'm so sorry...:mad:

Miranda
05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I have had it happen to me also, more than once.

When I was in school, our system had no bus. I lived the furthest point from the school. My bike was my ride (besides many other important things to me). Financial hardship for the family too. I've had the locks cut as well.

Last summer someone specifically stalked out one of my more expensive bikes to target at home. While we were right inside the home where you could see us!:eek: I'm thinking do they need the drug$ that bad?

I just had some guy from the sub garage sale (in the biz of buying/fixing/selling old bikes) that was very interested in some of the nicer stuff we had in the garage. Though I said, "sorry, not for sale". It's been creeping me out ever since. Like when is one of the possess coming back to hit my stable?

I just did NationalBikeRegistry for our more $ bikes. Though thinking the carbon might be trashed if she was recovered with what theives would do. Plus, I added on the highest $ bike onto my home-owners as a scheduled endorsement. Which claims make your premium go up.

That's about all I can think of to do. Other than a big dog is a deterient. My new lab is smaller, and doesn't bark at peeps near the house for some reason. My other lab would NEVER let anyone near without that big dog "WOOF". She was too sick to bark before I got her put down when last summer's thieves showed up. Bastages.

Honey... get that good bike that's left in the lock-down inside... they *might* research or figure out what it's really worth. It's probably a brand they did not know off hand. The Townie was shiny new and common known.

Best of luck on never repeat!!!

twin
05-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I am sorry.

solobiker
05-31-2009, 04:50 PM
so sorry. I just don't understand people sometime:(

kenyonchris
05-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Bummer. Sorry.

jesvetmed
05-31-2009, 10:06 PM
So sorry. That would be just awful. I hope you can at least get it replaced soon.

runningteach
06-01-2009, 03:29 AM
I'm so sorry.

coz i can
06-01-2009, 04:20 AM
that's just crap, totally sux, am so sorry. hope you are covered and can get it sorted. Some people out there hust suck so much!!!

AnnieBikes
06-01-2009, 10:32 AM
It feels so bad when this happens. Nothing makes you feel better and all the "what ifs" drive you nuts.

So sorry. :( :mad:

short cut sally
06-01-2009, 10:47 AM
That so stinks...sorry that had to happen to you..

GLC1968
06-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh wow...that totally sucks. I'm so sorry!

NoNo
06-01-2009, 05:44 PM
That's horrible, and you have every right to feel violated/angry/sad/whatever. Just last week my friend got up to find her car on blocks. The way we feel about our bikes, she feels about her car, and she was furious/devastated. I hope it's at least found, and hopefully they get the people that took it, too. *hugs*

malkin
06-04-2009, 06:51 PM
It is a violation!
I hope you feel better soon, and get the details worked out soon without too much red tape.

sfa
06-08-2009, 08:57 AM
New development: the Bike Fairies came this weekend while I was camping. They left a new Townie for me on my porch (LOCKED!) with a note saying it was from the Bike Fairies. Amazingly, the Bike Fairies have the same handwriting as my sisters!

I have the best sisters in the world and I am truly blessed. Apparently they were as upset as I was about the bike being stolen and within an hour of me telling them about it they had ordered a new one. This was completely unexpected--I really never imagined that they would do this!

And now the real question is how on earth do I begin to repay them for their thoughtfulness and generosity?

Sarah

Aggie_Ama
06-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Make sure you tell those sisters how thankful you are to have them. I am tearing up at their sweet and loving generosity. Babysitting? Cook them dinner? I personal note or call to tell them how much you love them?