PDA

View Full Version : George Washington Bridge

PamNY
05-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Does anyone have recommendations for getting on the George Washington Bridge from the west side bike path? I'm not sure if it's best to bike all the way to the bridge base and then go up to the entrance, or if I should get off the bike path earlier and use the regular streets.

I have street maps; I'm just looking for advice on what's best/easiest. Also, if I go up from the bike path, are there a lot of stairs? I have a lower back issue and I'm avoiding carrying the bike when I can.

Thanks!

Pam

ccnyc
05-29-2009, 08:05 AM
The exit from the West side bike path to street level at the GWB is very steep. There are no stairs there, IIRC. I've only done it going to the path from the GWB and I rode down a very steep path to get there. Once you get to street level you have to cross over a major road. There is a bridge with a ramp on both sides, no stairs.

It might be easier to get off the bike path earlier and then go up 165th street, left onto Ft. Washington, left on 177th, then a right on Cabrini (2 blocks down) to the south walkway entrance of the bridge.

Carol

Pedal Wench
05-29-2009, 08:11 AM
I saw the way the path over the bridge goes down towards the west side - only from the car. It looked steep with rather sharp curves - I don't know if I could climb it on my bike, but very walkable without stairs. (Again, I only saw it once from the car, so there could easily be stairs where I couldn't see them from the road.)

PamNY
05-31-2009, 08:55 AM
After a false start following directions from a very confused cyclist (who eventually gave up his quest for the bridge) I had a great ride. The path up is indeed steep; it will be a while before I can bike that one!

This is a fairly good map (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bike/brgwb.shtml).

Pam