PDA

View Full Version : more nutrients: some cooked veggies

shootingstar
05-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Article which outlines some benefits if certain veggies are cooked (but not overcooked), can be more nutritious than eaten raw all the time.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/go-ahead-nuke-those-carrots/article1154365/
We're told repeatedly to eat more vegetables – and for good reason. Hundreds of studies have linked a high intake of vegetables to protection from heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure and certain cancers thanks to their generous supply of vitamins, minerals, fibre and phytochemicals.
And while raw food enthusiasts contend that cooking your vegetables destroys vitamins and minerals – as well as enzymes that aid digestion – it turns out that raw vegetables aren't always more nutritious.
Recent studies suggest that cooking can actually increase the antioxidant content of some vegetables, even microwave cooking.
The latest study, published last month in the Journal of Food Science, demonstrated that microwave cooking without water and only until tender maintained the highest antioxidant levels. Baking and grilling also preserved antioxidants while boiling and pressure cooking led to the greatest losses.
An often cited study from 2002 found that microwaving caused a significant loss of antioxidants. But this study measured antioxidants in broccoli that was submerged in water and cooked in a microwave for an extended period of time.
In fact, cooking your vegetables can actually boost their antioxidant content.
The new study found that all cooking methods increased antioxidants in carrots, celery and green beans. It's thought heating vegetables releases antioxidants by breaking down cell walls.
Studies have found that eating cooked spinach and carrots – versus raw – results in much higher blood levels of beta-carotene, an antioxidant that when consumed from foods (not supplements) is thought to guard against heart disease and lung cancer.
Cooking tomatoes also increases the amount of lycopene that's available for absorption in the body. A higher intake of lycopene from cooked tomato products is associated with a lower risk of prostate cancer.
You'll also get more lutein, a phytochemical that helps prevent cataract and macular degeneration, if you eat your leafy greens cooked instead of raw.
When it comes to certain minerals, you're better off eating your vegetables cooked. Green vegetables such as spinach, beet greens and Swiss chard are rich in calcium. But they also contain elevated levels of a compound called oxalic acid that binds calcium and reduce its absorption.
Cooking releases some of the calcium that's bound to oxalic acid. Three cups of raw spinach, for example, has 90 milligrams of calcium whereas one cup of cooked has nearly triple the amount – 259 milligrams.
Cooking vegetables also increases the amount of magnesium and iron that's available to the body.
When it comes to cooking, water is your enemy. Boiling vegetables causes a significant amount of nutrients that dissolve in water – vitamin C, folate and thiamin (vitamin B1) – to be leached away. The longer you cook your veggies, and the more water you use, the more vitamins you'll lose.
Steaming is much gentler on nutrients because vegetables don't come in contact with cooking water. Dry cooking methods like grilling, roasting, stir-frying and microwave cooking without water also preserve a greater amount of nutrients than boiling or pressure cooking.
Some vegetables, however, are a better source of other phytochemicals when eaten raw. Cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy kale and turnip are best known for their high concentration of glucosinolates, compounds that are converted to anti-cancer chemicals called isothiocyanates. (One of the most famous isothiocyanates is sulforaphane, a phytochemical that's plentiful in broccoli, broccoli sprouts and kale.)
When you chop or chew cruciferous veggies, glucosinolates are converted to isothiocyanates by an enzyme called myrosinase. However, this enzyme that's easily destroyed by heat. So, cooking cruciferous vegetables reduces the formation of isothiocyanates, which may reduce their cancer-fighting potential.
A study from Michigan State University of women living in Chicago and Detroit revealed that those who ate at least three servings of raw or lightly cooked cabbage had a significantly lower risk of breast cancer compared to women who ate only one serving per week. Cabbage cooked a long time was not linked with protection from breast cancer.
Heating garlic may also reduce its disease-fighting properties. Garlic contains an enzyme called alliinase which triggers the formation of allicin, a sulphur compound linked with many health benefits. Even a few minutes of cooking inactivates alliinase.
But you don't need to resort to eating raw garlic to reap its benefits. Crushing or chopping garlic before cooking releases the enzyme and triggers the formation of garlic's healthful phytochemicals. Letting crushed garlic stand for 10 minutes before cooking is thought to further enhance the formation of allicin before cooking inactivates the alliinase.
While how you cook vegetables does affect their nutrient and phytochemical content, the most important thing is to eat a variety of vegetables each day, and plenty of them. The following tips will help you increase your intake of vegetables – and retain their nutrient content.
Plan ahead
Aim to include at least four vegetable servings in your diet each day. Incorporate vegetables into snacks and all meals. If you forgo vegetables until the end of the day – e.g. salad at dinner – you won't get enough. (One vegetable serving is the equivalent of ½ cup (125 ml) raw or cooked vegetables, 1 cup (250 ml) of salad greens, and ½ cup (125 ml) of vegetable juice.)
At breakfast, add red pepper or spinach to an egg white omelette. At lunch, include one or two vegetable servings such as tomato juice, baby carrots, vegetable soup, or a leafy green salad. At dinner, be sure to include at least two different vegetable servings.
Snack on raw vegetables between meals
Eat them with a dip that contains a little fat (e.g. hummus, Ranch dressing) to enhance your body's absorption of beta-carotene, lutein and lycopene.
Cook minimally
Steam vegetables or stir-fry briefly until tender, but crisp. If you cook vegetables in water, vitamin C, folate and thiamin will be leached into the cooking liquid. Use the liquid that's left over to make sauces or add extra flavour and nutrients to soups, stews and pasta sauces.
Don't prep too soon
Avoid slicing vegetables too far in advance. When cut surfaces are exposed to light and oxygen, nutrients are lost. Prep vegetables just before cooking. One exception: let chopped garlic sit for 10 minutes before cooking to increase its phytochemical content.
Think frozen
When fresh produce is out of season, opt for frozen. Frozen vegetables often rival or outshine fresh as a source of vitamins and minerals. That's because processing and packaging takes place almost immediately after harvest, locking in more nutrients. (By the time fresh vegetables travel from farm to supermarket to your dinner plate, two weeks may have passed during which time nutrients are lost.)

Biciclista
05-27-2009, 06:47 AM
thanks for the link! great article.

bmccasland
05-27-2009, 09:56 AM
One thought on the raw vs cooked leafy vegetables... are we talking the same amount of leaves? Did they pack the raw? As the leafy stuff cooks down it wilts, therefore you can get more in a measuring cup.

Thank you for posting the article - as I sit here munching raw baby carrots and cherry tomatoes - just because they're in season, fresh & sweet.

shootingstar
05-27-2009, 12:34 PM
When fresh produce is out of season, opt for frozen. Frozen vegetables often rival or outshine fresh as a source of vitamins and minerals. That's because processing and packaging takes place almost immediately after harvest, locking in more nutrients. (By the time fresh vegetables travel from farm to supermarket to your dinner plate, two weeks may have passed during which time nutrients are lost.)

It's been years since I've bought frozen or made frozen veggies from fresh veggies. I just find alot of frozen fresh/uncooked veggies doesn't taste good, except sweet peas. We don't have a garden so perhaps less of a tendency for us to make the effort and time to buy huge quantities of fresh veggies, wash and blanch/freeze.

I know I've tended to eat nearly 95-100% of veggie daily portion at dinner.

OakLeaf
05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
If I'm going to be making a dish that starts with cooked chopped spinach, like spanakopita or tofu-spinach burgers, I'll always use frozen spinach. It's just way too much of a hassle to clean mass quantities of fresh spinach, cook it, cool it and drain it.

From my garden, I can tomatoes, applesauce, sometimes green beans (yes I use a pressure canner), and raspberry jam. Jalapenos and tomato sauce go in the freezer. The peppers don't even need blanching, I just pack them in jars and freeze them whole and raw.

I don't care much for most raw vegetables, or cold foods or drinks of any kind. There's a traditional Chinese medicine explanation for that, that makes a lot of sense with a lot of my other traits and preferences, but I don't know the name of it.

shootingstar
05-27-2009, 05:26 PM
The peppers don't even need blanching, I just pack them in jars and freeze them whole and raw.

I don't care much for most raw vegetables, or cold foods or drinks of any kind. There's a traditional Chinese medicine explanation for that, that makes a lot of sense with a lot of my other traits and preferences, but I don't know the name of it.

I had no idea one could freeze peppers raw & whole like that.
Didn't really start eating raw cut veggies or salads until I was around 10 yrs. old onward. Unlike some Thai or Japanese traditional dishes, raw veggie traditional Chinese food dishes were pretty rare. So it was really what my mother was accustomed to cooking. Closest fit probably would be..lettuce cups or raw veggie food sculptures for banquets. ;)

So it's a good thing that fusion cuisine has evolved for certain cultures...provided the raw veggie (and fruit) isn't contaminated by pesticides, untreated water. :(

There are some veggies I wouldn't consider eating at all raw. Better cooked briefly ie. any of the bok choys, Shanghai choy, gai lan, some mustard greens. If I see on TV, a cook using raw bok choy in some raw dish, I cringe. I can't imagine..:eek:

Of course bitter melon, might knock your socks off or softer if raw? I have not intention of testing this. :eek: Already it is bitter cooked, as it should taste, but very healthy as a cooked veggie dish occasionally.

smilingcat
05-29-2009, 07:42 PM
There is a discussion regarding "nutritionally dense food". See Jane Goodall's "Harvest for Hope A guide to Mindful Eating. (http://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Hope-Guide-Mindful-Eating/dp/0446698210/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243654066&sr=1-1)

It's a very good introduction to concept of nutritionally dense food. One of many reasons why we refuse to grow GMO plants. We only grow heirloom variety.

When we create GMO plants, we are being just like the virus. We take over the plants natural mechanism for its living. Cell metabolism, synthesis of material to repair itself and reproduce. We partially take over the process and produce something un-natural. Like pesticide against the ear worm for the corn. Its in the corn kernel so you will be eating it too. Is it safe for you? It kills the worm.

Back on track. Discussion revolves around that pretty tomato you find in the grocery store. Its nutritional content is about 50% maybe less like 30% of an heirloom variety. It's costing you 1/2 as much per pound when compared to heirloom variety. Is the pretty tomato cheaper? You have to eat twice as much to get the same nutrition and it tastes bland :(

cooking, grinding... can improve the nutritional value of food. Sometimes additives can improve the nutritional value too. Can't remember exactly what but corn meal with calcium increased the nutritional value of the corn meal...

just my 2 cents for the day.

badger
05-29-2009, 09:43 PM

that's quite interesting because I've been known as a bit of a freak at work because I don't like cold drinks or foods. I even heat up my cereal!

shootingstar
05-30-2009, 02:19 PM
that's quite interesting because I've been known as a bit of a freak at work because I don't like cold drinks or foods. I even heat up my cereal!

Not sure what the Chinese medicine term is.... but maybe it's just merely liking something warm in one's stomach. When I was a teen, if given time and my own choice, I preferred to heat up some milk to have warm milk with Kellogg's cornflakes or Cheerios.

Methinks that eating raw veggies or other cooked stuff is learned/culturally influenced. I don't think my parents know how to throw together a raw salad except serve veggie crudites. :) They've been here in Canada for over 1/2 century. :D

To this day, it's my partner who prefers to whip up a huge mega-salad (which will last for 2-3 days) that he artfully throws together off the top of his head, with the right blend of fresh chopped herbs.

I still haven't quite gotten to his stage. I will and can make a salad, but unlike him, I have to think more about it ..to ensure tasty combination of raw veggies, etc. Whereas I can easily and nearly sleepwalking, flash stir-fry or steam a combination of veggies.

As fruit, nope. Raw often is easiest for me. Same for him. However again, somehow he has developed this knack for stewing certain fruits in ie. wine and it tastes right.

deeaimond
06-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Bittergourd/bitter melon isn't so bad when raw. Less bitter, i think masked by the 'green' taste... I like green tomatoes (i think they're raw) unripe mango (certain varieties are great) and all kinds of fruit and vegetables. Some I can't eat raw coz they don't really taste good to me. Button mushrooms smell funny raw, and usually the brocolli/brassica family.. includes gai-lan and the like. And yeah SStar, bok choy and mustard greens taste better when briefly cooked.

It's all about taste and common sense I guess. trust yr tastebuds. if its acrid and bitter maybe its not meant to be eaten raw... oh and balance of course, some raw some cooked and we should do fine healthwise

HandleBars
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
That surprises me that microwaving veggies without water is the way to keep the most nutrient and antioxidants... I always thought that steaming and grilling were better... I guess it's just the idea of microwaves, I use them enough for soups and prepared foods that I try to avoid using it for my fresh stuff Hmmmm

OakLeaf
06-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Whenever I microwave veggies without covering them with water, they come out all wilted, tough and nasty. Steaming for me (and reserve the water for broth), or just throw 'em in soup or stew. We're big on one-pot meals. :D