PDA

View Full Version : Custom bike building

Reesha
05-27-2009, 03:47 AM
When you are having a custom bike built, do you generally go through your LBS, do it yourself, or do you have a really handy bike friend do it?

I'm worried that if I do it through a bike shop, especially a bike shop that doesn't deal in that specific frame brand that I'd pay through the nose for it!

I'm hoping to bring home a Yeti 575 by the end of the summer (a longtime dream :o) but there are no dealers in St. Louis. I figure I could get the frame myself and order all the parts through someone perhaps. Really, I miss my old LBS-- a one man show, who would have built up the bike to fit my exact budget and nothing more.

Thoughts? I'm obviously new to the custom bike build and I'd love some advice!

TxDoc
05-27-2009, 04:46 AM
Hard poll to answer as I have done it different ways for different bikes in the last few years. In one case I ordered frame and components and had them shipped to my mechanic who did the build - another one I built myself and just had him review it once completed to see if anything was tuned properly. I guess it depends on how much time I have at the moment and which components or setup I want on the bike.

indysteel
05-27-2009, 04:53 AM
I recently had my LBS build up my custom bike. They happen to be the local dealer for the bike that I bought. I ordered most, although not all, of the components through them. There were pros and cons in doing it that way.

Pros:

They do good work as a general rule and I wanted a shop that was "vested" in my bike. I also wanted to throw some business their way because of the service they've provided me over the years. I didn't buy my previous bike their so my actual purchases had, prior to buying the custom bike, somewhat minimal.

To the extent that I had any problems with the components, I had someone other than the manufacturer to go to for a solution.

I wanted their expertise in choosing my components (but see the caveat below).

Cons:

It cost more to do it this way. Not only did I pay more for many of the components, but I also had to pay them to do the build. They charged me more for the build because I did not get all the components through them. This really rubbed me the wrong way at the time, especially since the main component I didn't get from them was a set of wheels that I was taking from my other bike. In the end, however, I decided not to make an issue of it because in the grand scheme of things, they given me good service over the years.

I've found, over time, that the LBS was really no more expert about certain things than I am--assuming I do my research. Their are "women-specific" issues (handlebars, for instance) that they aren't as knowledgeable about.

There were certain components that I wanted that their suppliers didn't carry.

If I had to do it over again, I think I likely would have bought the components myself and paid them to do the build or had my BF do it. If I'd had my BF do it, I would have closely watched him and tried to learn what I could so that I could eventually do some wrenching myself.

For what it's worth, I don't think an LBS need be a dealer for the brand that you're buying in order to do a good build. It's the components, not the frame, that they need to be experienced with. I used Campy for my build, and in my experience some shops are more experienced than others with Campy. I take it that the Yeti is a MTB. If that's the case, take it to a shop that carries/specializes in MTBs. They'll likely have experience with whatever components you choose.

Thorn
05-27-2009, 04:55 AM
To be honest, initially I had planned on the "trusted friend" approach. But when I got sized for the frame, the frame builder would not sell direct to me--they support their dealer network. They sent me to a bike shop I'd never heard of.

I was going to just buy the frame and walk away, but the guys at the shop won me over and I'm now a groupie. The build turned out really well and I learned a lot about components I always took for granted.

When it came time for the second bike, there wasn't any question I'd let the bike shop do it. In the end, the cost of the build is not that much more than if I'd tried to do it myself.

BleeckerSt_Girl
05-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Not sure how to answer. :confused:

I had the custom framebuilder build the bike. (Margo at Lunacycles)
Making the custom frame and building it up as a complete bike was the whole package.
I don't really have an 'LBS'.

Is there a poll answer choice for this??

7rider
05-27-2009, 05:08 AM
My LBS is a Seven dealer and handled all parts of the build for me.
I think I supplied them with my saddle.
I trust my shop completely. I tell them what I want and what I'm aiming for...and they are there with sound recommendations for me. They work with me and for me - my LBS advocates for me with the builder and suppliers. The shop is vested in the bike - and in me as a satisfied customer. They are there to answer any and all stupid questions I come to them with.
I can't honestly tell you if it costs me more money to do it that way - but it saves me time and aggravation. And that certainly counts for something.

Eden
05-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Not sure how to answer. :confused:

I had the custom framebuilder build the bike. (Margo at Lunacycles)
Making the custom frame and building it up as a complete bike was the whole package.
I don't really have an 'LBS'.

Is there a poll answer choice for this??

That's not really the question she's asking, she's not doing a custom bike, but rather a custom build of a stock frame.

I won a frame, fork and headset and went the LBS route. I had some components (wheels, brifters, handlebars, seat post) and ordered some through him (brakes, derailleurs, crankset, bb, all the small parts).

Yeah I could have done most of the work myself (I don't remember if the fork was already pressed in - I don't think I could have done that....), but I wanted to support him - he was a pretty new shop at the time, he was going to have the right tools for the job (we didn't have tools for servicing outboard bottom brackets at home at that time) and it saved me a lot of messing around.

Biciclista
05-27-2009, 05:51 AM
I had a custom frame made for me at my LBS. I got almost all the parts for it myself and brought them into the shop in a box. They put it all together.

Crankin
05-27-2009, 06:10 AM
Last summer, in the course of giving me an "exchange" frame for the one that was too big, I realized that I was indeed, more knowledgeable about some women specific issues than my LBS. I had them transfer over all of the components, but I wanted different, short reach brifters and a short reach, shallow drop bar. I had to do all of the research myself. I found that it was cheaper for the LBS to order the brifters; I could not find anyplace that would give me a better price than they could get. However, I was on my own for the bars. I did the on line research and bought them at a larger LBS. I was happy to pay for the labor.

I am figuring that my graduation present for myself in 2 years is going to be a custom bike. I have a lot of biomechanical issues that have fallen on deaf ears. While my husband could and has built up bikes for my son, I will most likely go to Seven, since they are close by. I am not mechanical enough to do anything myself and I am happy to do it the way Lisa did, as a package.

Cataboo
05-27-2009, 06:15 AM
I haven't actually gotten a custom frame, but I've bought frames, bought all the parts, and then built it all up myself. Most of the pieces came from online or ebay, but some things were just bought at local bike shops - chains, cables, things like that.

I never priced it out how much it would have been if I'd gone to a bike shop, but I'm assuming a lot more expensive and then I wouldn't have had as much "fun"

lunacycles
05-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Bike shops that sell frames to the customer make very little on the frames (usually around 30%). They only offer this service (selling frame only) because they hope to make a bit more money off of the build. If you appreciate having the option to buy a frame through your LBS and do a custom build, you may consider having your shop do the build and sell you the parts, as it makes that service sustainable for them. Unless you or your friend are very skilled and experienced with complete bike builds, they also tend to have a much better chance of getting it right the first time, and of honoring the work they did.

If you are getting a "custom" frame, as Eden and Lisa implied, many framebuilders offer a "complete bike option," and usually the price is reasonable. There is very little overlap between actual custom framebuilders and bike shops these days. The reasons are mostly financial--in general, a true custom builder cannot afford a wholesale structure, and must sell direct to the consumer to have a decent chance to make a living.

Companies like Seven and Serotta are not considered custom framebuilders, but low-volume manufacturers. (That's another story for another thread:))

BleeckerSt_Girl
05-27-2009, 06:52 AM
That's not really the question she's asking, she's not doing a custom bike, but rather a custom build of a stock frame.

Oh, ok. I was confused because the thread was titled "Custom Bike Building". :o

tulip
05-27-2009, 01:55 PM
It's really poor form to bring parts into a shop and have them put the parts on. If you get your frame elsewhere, you might want to consider supporting your local bike shop by purchasing the parts and having them build it up. It may cost more than getting all the parts on the internet, but it'll be alot more convenient and will support the bike shop. I wouldn't know what parts are the best fit for my bike and my riding style. The bike shop's expertise is in itself worth something to me.

I wonder when I hear the lament of local bike shops that have gone under--did the lamenters support them when they were in business?

Reesha
05-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, the 575 is certainly a 'reach' bike if you know what I mean. I could afford it with my last shop, but now I'm in St. Louis and the shops seem a lot less personable and I worry that I wouldn't be able to afford it with certain shops labor costs. Like if you're not in with them, they won't listen, or they might be elitist? That's the worst feeling. When they treat you like you know nothing or have no idea what you want. My other bike shop in Lake Placid was very much like that... I bought a road bike off them, but I wouldn't have them do a custom bike for me because it would be so so expensive.

So anyway, I figure if I bought some of the parts online, I might be able to shave off some of the expenses.

BellaMTB
05-27-2009, 11:52 PM
My LBS mechanic (w/ lots of experience) finally convinced me that a custom build was the way to go and I am so thrilled w/ my new bike. I took a few of the good parts I'd put on my last bike (e.g. Chris King headset; carbon flat bar; etc.) and had him order the rest. Keep in mind that the bike shop owner can get the parts at cost, whereas you would likely pay more buying them piece by piece on your own. The factory kits generally aren't nearly as good for what you pay, and you can't get exactly what you want. I vote for finding a good bike builder/mechanic whose opinion and skills you trust, first.

J

uforgot
05-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Well, the 575 is certainly a 'reach' bike if you know what I mean. I could afford it with my last shop, but now I'm in St. Louis and the shops seem a lot less personable and I worry that I wouldn't be able to afford it with certain shops labor costs. Like if you're not in with them, they won't listen, or they might be elitist? That's the worst feeling. When they treat you like you know nothing or have no idea what you want. My other bike shop in Lake Placid was very much like that... I bought a road bike off them, but I wouldn't have them do a custom bike for me because it would be so so expensive.

So anyway, I figure if I bought some of the parts online, I might be able to shave off some of the expenses.

Reesha - You can go to the St. Louis biking message board for advice (http://stlbiking.com/forum/index.php?act=idx). I think Mr. Silver seems to be happy with Big Shark, and Traci at the Alpine Shop always drops whatever she is doing and takes a lot of time with me. She is solidly into the whole mountain biking thing and has helped fastdogs with her bikes.

I think I have visited every shop in St. Louis at one time or another, and some are definitely better than others. My lbs is in Rolla. He takes a lot of time with me when I go into the shop and leans toward the single speed, mtb side. He built up my Surly for me giving me exactly what I wanted and no more. It's a couple of hours from St. Louis though. Perhaps others can give recommendations in the area?

Reesha
05-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Well I've been using Big Shark mostly, as they're one of my bike team's sponsors. They just seem... realllly big! Although, they do seem to be one of the friendliest toward beginners so I always refer my friends that want a first bike to them.

I've only had one Alpine Shop experience so far and I was a bit disappointed. It was just one young guy and basically ignored me for forty minutes or so even when I was the only one in the bike area. I'd ask about trying out a bike but then he'd preoccupy himself with another customer who comes in after... eventually I just walked out. I was all :confused::confused::confused: because I was very polite. Did I smell perhaps? Anyway, I won't hold it against the shop because anyone could have a bad experience, but I feel a little sheepish like maybe I did smell. I figure it's best to visit the Alpine shop when its not busy. They do deal in Salsa and I have thought about building an El Kaboing... so maybe?

Also... you're totally right. I've been a member of STLBiking for many a month now and hadn't thought of asking them. I might even find someone willing to do the work separate from a bike shop if I have all the parts.

uforgot
05-28-2009, 05:26 AM
At Alpine just ask for Traci! I have to agree about Big Shark being friendly. I took a couple of their classes. Anyway, I'll go ahead and shamelessly plug Route66 Bicycles (http://www.route66bicycles.com/) in Rolla. His website hasn't been updated in awhile. I think business is booming and he's pretty busy. One owner and as I learn more and more I realize what a terrific mechanic he is. If I email him he replies within the hour unless he is off on a mtb race somewhere. Pyannyplayer goes there too. He also lets me think I know what I'm talking about even though I just know enough to be dangerous. Personally I think he's worth the drive.

Good luck and let us know what you finally do.