PDA

View Full Version : Acura LA Bike Tour 2009

ailurra
05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Just wanted to share some pics from the Acura LA Bike Tour on May 25, 2009. This is the bike tour before the actual LA marathon. It was my first tour!

sbctwin
05-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Congratulations on your first tour. Great pics!

Ninabike
05-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Beautiful pics and beautiful bike! I did the Acura tour a few years ago, but there were so many bikers (16,000), I decided not to do it again - too many kids and inexperienced riders darting in and out. You might be interested in the bike only portion of the L.A. Triathlon in September. It's great. Not many bikes because the start is staggered and the course is wide open. It starts at Venice Beach and ends at Staples Center. Since it is not a circular course, they have shuttle busses to get you back and forth.

ailurra
05-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Beautiful pics and beautiful bike! I did the Acura tour a few years ago, but there were so many bikers (16,000), I decided not to do it again - too many kids and inexperienced riders darting in and out. You might be interested in the bike only portion of the L.A. Triathlon in September. It's great. Not many bikes because the start is staggered and the course is wide open. It starts at Venice Beach and ends at Staples Center. Since it is not a circular course, they have shuttle busses to get you back and forth.

Hey thanks! My brother is actually doing the LA Tri this October...I didn't know you could do just the biking portion. Does the shuttle service allow bikes on? I am going to look into that...

The Acura tour was interesting for my first real marathon...I saw girls on single speeds going super fast with no brakes (nice) and no helmets. You definitely see all of the LA biking community which was cool. I missed the Pasadena Marathon this year because I didn't think I was experienced enough. I am definitely going to do it next year (02.21.10), since the route goes near my house.

Ninabike
05-28-2009, 07:50 AM
The shuttle busses do allow bikes. They use school busses and the passengers sit on one side of the bus with their bikes propped up on the opposite seat. You can do the shuttle either way, i.e., park at Venice Beach and take the shuttle back after the race, or park at the Convention Center early in the A.M. and take the shuttle to the start of the race. That's the way I do it. That way, you have your car at the end of the race and you can store your bike, change shoes, etc. and enjoy the festivities; watch the runners come in, etc.

The course is great. It's the only time you can ride flat out on L.A. streets. You get to see all the elite triathletes go by and you don't have to be at a high skill level to do it. The course is mostly flat with just gradual climbing up Higland to Sunset and then just one short steep climb on 2nd St. before Grand. The photographer sets up on Grand so you can get your picture taken and order a copy later. When you register you get a timing chip (ankle strap) which allows you to be timed and they post the times on the internet.

It's really great.

Ninabike
05-28-2009, 08:20 AM
I just checked out the website. It looks like they altered the course to Olympic with a turnaround instead of going up Highland to Sunset. The date is also moved to October 4.

ailurra
05-28-2009, 01:09 PM
haha yeah I checked the website too and edited my previous post to October...My bro is doing the Sprint. It looks like fun, but I definitely could only do the bike part :) Is it possible to crash just that part of it?

Ninabike
05-28-2009, 02:11 PM
It is possible, but then you don't have the fun of "being part of it" with your bib number and timing chip. But there is no reason why a person can't just join on the bike portion from any side street along the route. I know a couple of people who have done that. You can't use the shuttle without having a wrist band. But if you have someone meet you at the finish with a car, then you can get home.