PDA

View Full Version : new frame, new bike. Yikes.

kenyonchris
05-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Which should be subtitled, I Have, Apparently, Lost My Mind.
I have been obsessing over Colnagos for, like, years. So I finally came across a C40 frameset on ebay with the proper geometry (and Colnago's geometry is weird)... it comes with a Chris King 1" headset already installed, a Thompson seatpost, and a Dura Ace italian threaded bottom bracket already installed. I bid, and, low and behold, I won it! NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO??? I only half expected to win it! I could strip down my Ruby and put the Shimano Ultegra group on there, but something in me balks at putting Shimano stuff on an Italian bike, and I think I would like to keep Ruby together. Campy is different, but I have had Campy before and actually prefer it to Shimano.
I guess I go at it one part at a time!
Fill lungs, deflate lungs, fill lungs, deflate lungs.

papaver
05-24-2009, 10:03 PM
you're going to love it, I'm sure. And yes use campy, pleazzzzzz:D

uforgot
05-25-2009, 01:17 AM
I just recently acquired a bike with campy components and I just love them. Yes, take a breath. TE is all about enabling. One part at a time. You've been looking at these for years, no need to be in a hurry now, and when it's finished you will love it and be so proud of it. A once in a lifetime bike for you! Congrats!

tzvia
05-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Sweet. Yes, keep the Ruby together- ride it while you take the time to build the Colnago. Maybe you can find a good price on the 'older' 10 speed stuff (Record maybe?) while every lemming out there gotsta-have-11-speed (:rolleyes: an answer in search of a question if ever I saw one.) Yes Campy is the way to go. Congrats!

MartianDestiny
05-25-2009, 02:12 PM
My Italian frame has yet to implode (or explode) due to all the Shimano Ultegra hanging off it. (I bought it that way, but I do like Shimano) ;)

I would vote for keeping the Ruby whole though.

So, congrats on the new frame and have fun parts shopping! :D

aicabsolut
05-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Your cranks won't work. Specialized bikes with threaded BBs are English threaded. So...sounds like you need to buy some new components :p

kenyonchris
05-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I figured that there would be problems switching stuff over. This is my first build, and I am TOTALLY ignorant about Campy stuff. My SO knows, but he is very careful to let me do my thing...he will help if I ask.
So I will be asking a bunch of questions from ya'll that have done this before...
Thanks everyone for the support, thanks in advance for the advice!

Running Mommy
05-25-2009, 07:33 PM
campy, shimano, or sram... If it came with an italian bb, it won't work with an english set up.

Trekhawk
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Congratulations you will love your Colnago.
I agree with the girls go Campy on your Colnago.
I have Shimano on my Trek and Campy on my Colnago and I prefer Campy.

Just remember if you ride both bikes a lot it might take a few minutes at the beginning of each ride to remember which way to shift those gears (well at least it does for me).:D

Ninabike
05-26-2009, 08:55 AM
What Trekhawk said. Go Campy.

kenyonchris
05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah...I am too much of a purist to do anything else but go campy. I will just have to uh, cut back here and there in order to afford it...and it will take some time. I will keep the Ruby intact. My goal is to have the Colnago (who I have named Guiseppe) ready for the Hotter than Hell hundred, and my goal THERE is to do the 100 miles in less than 5 hours. It is hot but pretty flat (except for that long, steady barely imperceptible rise that goes on forever with nothing to look at but a vast, hideous expanse of highway...I have done plenty of big hills, but that little rise in the heat kicks my butt every time, I think the road makes it hotter).

Pedal Wench
05-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah...I am too much of a purist to do anything else but go campy. I will just have to uh, cut back here and there in order to afford it...and it will take some time. I will keep the Ruby intact. My goal is to have the Colnago (who I have named Guiseppe) ready for the Hotter than Hell hundred, and my goal THERE is to do the 100 miles in less than 5 hours. It is hot but pretty flat (except for that long, steady barely imperceptible rise that goes on forever with nothing to look at but a vast, hideous expanse of highway...I have done plenty of big hills, but that little rise in the heat kicks my butt every time, I think the road makes it hotter).

5 hours? That bike is gonna be flying!!!

Go Campy - but even with an Italian BB, you can still go with Shimano or Campy. (says the girl with 6 Campy bikes - although all six are Italian bikes, the Bianchis all have English BBs, and the Colnagos have Italian. How confusing is that?)

itself
05-26-2009, 08:10 PM
My mechanic RAVES about the Sram Red, american made...

Lisa

kenyonchris
05-27-2009, 04:32 AM
I have actually ridden the Red...Ugh. Not for me. It is very....different. Much less quirky, much more industrial/functional. Not that it isnt nice....it is, I just didn't like the feel of it. Like an electric guitar to someone who prefers the violin.

TxDoc
05-27-2009, 04:52 AM
I have been obsessing over Colnagos for, like, years. So I finally came across a C40 frameset on ebay with the proper geometry (and Colnago's geometry is weird)... it comes with a Chris King 1" headset already installed, a Thompson seatpost, and a Dura Ace italian threaded bottom bracket already installed. I bid, and, low and behold, I won it! NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO???

Now you just follow the new-Italian-frame instructions:
1. open that bottle of champagne that is kept aside for bicycle-related celebrations and party
2. order a Campy group and a nice set of Campy wheels
3. build your bike
4. take pictures of the new bike and post them here for your friends on TE
5. ride your Colnago
6. be happy!
:D