PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile, in Wisconsin

OakLeaf
05-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Neither one of these involves a bicyclist, but a pretty good illustration of drivers' attitudes.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2009/05/09/news/z01hirtrun09.txt

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2009/05/12/news/z08bump.txt

papaver
05-12-2009, 02:50 AM
2 times the same article. :)

Tuckervill
05-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I was walking from the parking lot into Wal-Mart, approaching the crosswalk in front of the doors, when I witnessed a similar "bumping" incident. It was an elderly man driving the car and a middle-aged man walking across the crosswalk. The elderly man DID NOT SEE the pedestrian AT ALL. The pedestrian was paying just enough attention that he jumped just as the bumper hit his leg, and was not hurt. The elderly man still did not know what happened or why the other man was yelling at him. The police were not called. Maybe they should have been.

Karen

Mr. Bloom
05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
TE's own bacarver was clipped on the road by an elderly driver in her rural area of Indiana.

It was a tough day when I took the keys from my parents...made easier by the fact that Mom sideswipped a parked car, did $12,000 of damage, and didn't even know she had hit it! I'm just glad it was a car and not a kid:(:(

irrealised
05-15-2009, 07:37 AM
An elderly driver once hit my open door, as I was standing there taking a child out of the backseat. This was on a very quiet and very wide side street in the middle of the day. The elderly man hit my car door hard enough to leave a big dent and lost his side-view mirror in the process, but never stopped. I did call the police, and when they found the man he had no idea he had hit my car, nor that he had lost his mirror.

OakLeaf
05-15-2009, 08:15 AM
The motorcycle incident was undisputedly intentional, involving a 34-year-old driver.

The parking lot incident likely had nothing to do with the driver's visual perception or reflexes, considering that the police are the ones who say the man hit the pedestrian intentionally.

There are plenty of news stories about people who don't have the visuomotor or cognitive skills to operate a motor vehicle (and not all of them are elderly). But these stories involve intentional assaults against people whom the driver felt were slowing them down.