PDA

View Full Version : cleat positioning

goddess1222
12-16-2002, 10:18 PM
ok, frustrated again. i bought road shoes for my spin class because i am sick of using foot cages. i got the "Zinn" book to learn how to position the cleats. i took my allen key with me so i could make adjustments during class. here are my 2 questions.

1. my right IT band started to bug me. does this mean i should rotate the cleat out or in? does it mean i am too far from the bracket and need to come in closer to the frame?

2. my left leg right at the knee(medial) was buggin' too. what should i do?

i know it is going to be trial and error for a while, but i don't want my alignment to get really screwed up "trying" to make it right.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks ladies,
goddess1222

Veronica
12-17-2002, 03:48 AM
First make sure you're not too high. When I switched from using my cross trainer sneakers to using my bike shoes I had to lower the saddle of the spin bike maybe a quarter of an inch to compensate for my flatter soled bike shoes I guess.

Good luck!

Veronica

Irulan
12-17-2002, 07:06 AM
I think that this would be a hard do-it-yourself project just because you can't step backt to check alignment. What I would do is go to my local favorite bike shop and have the techs there (assuming they know what they are doing) set you up on a trainer and adjust the cleats for you. In addition to the rotation, they need to be aligned properly under the ball of your foot.

Irulan