PDA

View Full Version : now THAT was weird!

redrhodie
05-06-2009, 03:28 PM
I was sitting in my living room when all of a sudden there was a huge bang from somewhere in my apartment. The kitties freaked, as did I. Twiggy was on it. Eddy ran under the bed. I was afraid at first to even look for what the noise could have been, because it sounded bad. I thought, oh no, not my bike, thinking one had fallen over, but they were all standing. Then I thought maybe a window, or a mirror had fallen. It didn't really sound like glass breaking, but more like something falling.

I looked everywhere. Everything looked fine. I looked in the closets for things falling off shelves. Nothing. Then, I checked my tires, and sure enough, the rear tire on my red bike was flat, and the tire was actually blown off the rim.

I rode about 7 hours ago. I put in air, <100psi, before the ride, and everything seemed normal through the ride. I've put several hundred miles on that tube/tire combo. Why right then, sitting in the bedroom? Very strange.

I don't see or feel anything in the tire, but the tube has a 5" long slash where it blew. Spooky.

Mr. Bloom
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
So, you rode, put the bike up...and then the tire blew???? Wow!

Fredwina
05-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I've had that happen several time. It's even more fun when It happens in the middle of the night and your bikes are in the bedroom;)

SlowButSteady
05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Weird things like that used to happen in my house all the time...until I got rid of the human skull that I had.

I kept saying "this house must be built on an Indian burial ground." To which DH said, "Maybe it's that Indian head you've got in the closet."

Now I only collect non-human skulls. We became pregnant immediately (had given up on having a baby) and the weird stuff stopped.

redrhodie
05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I've had that happen several time. It's even more fun when It happens in the middle of the night and your bikes are in the bedroom;)

I'm very glad I wasn't asleep when it happened! The kittens, too! I would have been peeling them off the ceiling.

It's just such an unfamiliar noise. I've never had that happen before. I checked the psi recomendation on the tire, and it was 100-145, and I was right at 100.

They're pretty new tires, but it was an old tube. Maybe that was a factor???

wackyjacky1
05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
It's even more fun when It happens in the middle of the night and your bikes are in the bedroom;)
Pretty sure I would have to change the sheets! :eek: :D

tulip
05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Weird things like that used to happen in my house all the time...until I got rid of the human skull that I had.

I kept saying "this house must be built on an Indian burial ground." To which DH said, "Maybe it's that Indian head you've got in the closet."

Now I only collect non-human skulls. We became pregnant immediately (had given up on having a baby) and the weird stuff stopped.

That is creepy.

redrhodie
05-06-2009, 04:27 PM

No skulls here that I know of!!!

ttaylor508
05-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I just had this happen while waiting at a stop light. I had ridden about 14 miles on the new tire and it blew and scared the crap out of me. Just glad I was stopped as it blew the tire completely off the rim. Mine ended up being a pinched tube, so you might want to check that. It was very apparent the tube had been pinched and not punctured.

tctrek
05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Scary... kinda like spontaneous combustion!

yetigooch
05-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Was it cold out when you did your ride? What can happen is that you pumped up your tire outside when the temp was low....then when you brought it inside, the temp in the tire increased which can result in the tube blowing out. I've seen this happen many times when working at the support station for triathelons. People would pump up their tires at night, then when the sun came out next morning, tires would start bursting.

K

Fredwina
05-06-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm very glad I wasn't asleep when it happened! The kittens, too! I would have been peeling them off the ceiling.

It's just such an unfamiliar noise. I've never had that happen before. I checked the psi recomendation on the tire, and it was 100-145, and I was right at 100.

They're pretty new tires, but it was an old tube. Maybe that was a factor???
Could have been a tube pinch, although a defect that finally made itself known seems more likely

malkin
05-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Dang!

salsabike
05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Was it cold out when you did your ride? What can happen is that you pumped up your tire outside when the temp was low....then when you brought it inside, the temp in the tire increased which can result in the tube blowing out. I've seen this happen many times when working at the support station for triathelons. People would pump up their tires at night, then when the sun came out next morning, tires would start bursting.

K

Wow! Thanks---good info to keep in mind.

smilingcat
05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
It happened to me on a training ride with the boys. This is back when I was riding my Litespeed with 650C wheels.

got a flat. guys are ever so helpful so they pulled out their CO2 cartridge to pump up my tire. Less time sitting around ya know... Whoom tire inflates. I'm goin' the tire feels too hard. its got too much. "Nooo it's got the right amount.." "But..." "just start riding..."

Less then two miles down the road, my tire blew up along with the inner tube. GRRRR!!! That day we had someone doing the SAG so I got a ride back to our start/finish line. Major bummer.

redrhodie
05-07-2009, 03:47 AM

K

No, I pumped inside, and it wasn't cold out.

I'm wondering about a pinch, but I rode hundreds of miles on that tube, so if it had a pinch, it was there through all of that! I'm really lucky it happened inside, while we were in the other room. Loud as it was, the kitties faired pretty well.

It's funny, bf is out of town, and when he called last night, and I started telling my story, he guessed tire exploding as soon as I said there was a big bang inside the apartment!

Maybe he sabotaged it. I wouldn't put it past him! :rolleyes:

Or, maybe the original owner of the house I live in, popped it. Here's his portrait, and I wouldn't put it past him, either.

http://www.oyez.org/sites/default/files/justices/samuel_blatchford/samuel_blatchford_portrait_cropped.1.jpg

redrhodie
05-07-2009, 01:20 PM
I brought the whole wheel into the lbs today to see if they could find a defect. Nothing was apparent, but a pinch seemed to be the most likely cause. Before I could wink an eye (which I often do there ;) a new tube was on, no charge!

I love my lbs.

Karma007
05-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Sincerely bizzare. Reminds me of the time our shower door shattered spontaneously in the middle of the night for no reason.

tantrumbean
05-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Argh - this is all not very confidence inspiring!!! So far (touch wood) I've only ever blown out one tube and that went while I was still refitting the wheel - my ears were ringing for ages -, but I always thought if it hasn't blown within the first mile or so of your ride then it must be ok... Clearly that's not the case!!!! :eek:

Mr. Bloom
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I researched this on the internet and inquired at the LBS:

It's the  GHOST OF INNERTUBES PAST:eek:

redrhodie
05-08-2009, 03:21 AM
I researched this on the internet and inquired at the LBS:

It's the  GHOST OF INNERTUBES PAST:eek:

Oh, good, that's the nice one ;).

TrekTheKaty
05-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Last time DH's tire blew out, we were in a wildlife area and it sounded like a gunshot! Everyone flinched, dove off their bikes and were halfway to the ground when we realized it was his tire!

As for the house--it usually takes days to find the strange sounds. As my sister says, that's why you should have a pet--just blame it on the cat! The most common is a piece off the overhead kitchen light that falls at random.

I didn't have a skull, but had a book of ghost stories that travelled our college dorm. Every time something strange happened, it got passed off until it turned into a soccer game in the hallway. It's why I don't own a ouiji board!

redrhodie
05-21-2009, 06:18 PM
The weirdness continues...

When I got home tonight, my bf wheeled my bike in for me and said, "You know, you have a flat." This was my other bike, not the one with the exploding tire from the OP. I had just ridden, and it was fine while I was out. I thought, that's funny, now I've had 2 rear wheel flats in the past 3 weeks. Then I remembered, last week my car also had a rear wheel flat. All the flats happened at home.

They say things happen in 3s.