PDA

View Full Version : Tfce

ridenread
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I have registered for my first century in September. Is anyone else doing TFCE The Flattest Century in the East this year? For those of you who have done it in the past what can you tell me about it. I live in the area and have ridden in Dartmouth, Wesport, Tiverton and Little Compton and wouldn't really consider it flat, more like rolling hills, with a few good hills thrown in.
I figure I have 4 months to train so should be ready by September . It is good to have goals but right now I am a bit scared.

Zen
05-04-2009, 07:21 PM
How can that be "the flattest century in the East" when the Tarwheel Century (http://www.rivercitycyclingclub.com/tarwheel_century.htm) is the World's Flattest Century (http://www.rivercitycyclingclub.com/tarwheel_century.htm)?

And to answer your question, don't worry about it. Do what Eddy says and "ride lots".
You'll be ready by then.

mayanorange
05-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Sounds like fun! Unfortunately registration is full. :( I haven't done it, but 4 mos in plenty of time- just set some goals to get progressively harder.

ridenread
05-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Registration opened May 1st and is full already. Apparently this is a popular ride as last year there were 1900 riders. I happened to be driving through part of the course last year and told everyone that I was going to do it this year. I waited to see when it opened and signed on before I could talk myself out of it. Now if this rain would stop.......

I read somewhere that apparently there was talk about changing the name since it isn't the flattest century but they decided to keep with the same name they have been using for 35 years rather than change and confuse people

Over50Newbie
05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I did it in 2007.

And you are right - it is not really flat. It is mostly rolling hills, but it doesn't have what I would call any "killer hills."

It used to be the flattest century in the East, and you are right again about them deciding not to change the name even though it is not the flattest one anymore.

The people that run the race are great! They are very, very nice and it is a very well-supported ride. Great rest stops and lots of SAG wagons to help out with repairs and riders not able to finish.

You will have a ball and the scenery is beautiful. Just relax and keep on riding. You will do fine!

Lynette

ridenread
05-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info and support Lynette, it is good to hear from someone who has actually done this ride. I live just a few miles from the start and end points so in additional to the wonderful SAG , also know that I can always call home for support too. So now my goal is to just keep putting miles on the bike for the next few months and getting myself in better shape.

indigoiis
05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Narragansett Bay Wheelmen run this ride and it is indeed well supported and a very friendly century.
The Seacoast century (in Mass/Nh/Maine) is flatter than this. But this is an older ride and they kept the name.

We don't ride this one as we are usually hiking in the Daks that weekend. But we do do the Seacoast century.

You should be fine... centuries are just four 25 mile rides! ;)

quint41
05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I was there in 2007 with Lynette. It was a really well-run ride. I wouldn't even say hills. Mostly flat with a few rollers. You should watch for it next year and register as soon as it opens.

Where do you live? My sister is in Swansea, and she could use a buddy to ride with who is not looking to get out and pound the cranks. She is probably a 10-12 mph average rider.

Louise