PDA

View Full Version : Audax rides

Caroline
05-04-2009, 03:54 AM
Hi Ladies -

I would like to oparticipate in my vary 1st Audax, at 29 years old, having been a regular/ serious cyclist for about 2 years. I cycle 100km + everyweekend but I have never cycled over 200km ( all my spins are usually hilly ).

The event in question this upcoming weekend is a 300km ride in the flatish rolling countryside. A few of my male friends are doing it. But see, i am a woman, and I am not as strong as them and I am scared I might slow them down. ( and i am not willing to try injecting testoterone for that :D )I am pretty good endurance wise and I train with the boys all the time, I was talking to my boyfriend about it, as he's also on the start list, but he said I must think about it as I am not as strong as them ...

I have to be wise about it, help.

madscot13
05-04-2009, 04:51 AM
he is not willing to cycle with you? he just wants to finish ASAP? hopefully the audax has enough riders that you will meet someone who meets your pace.

jobob
05-04-2009, 07:45 AM
What madscott said.

I don't know how Audax rides operate in Europe, in the states we call the equivalent rides brevets. At least here in the US, the general philosophy is to go at your own pace, and as long as you make the checkpoints in time you're fine.

In Audax rides, are you generally expected to ride as a group, or is it OK to do the ride on your own?

If it's the latter, and if you feel OK about riding alone, then I'd say go for it. You might meet people who ride at your pace and you wouldn't be alone after all. :cool:

(btw, I did my first brevet ride at age 47 :D )

Pedal Wench
05-04-2009, 07:54 AM
(btw, I did my first brevet ride at age 47 :D )

Mine was at 46 ;)

I've started both of mine on my own, but found some folks to ride with in the dark on the second one. Just knowing your boyfriend is in the area will be comforting. Perhaps ask him to wait for you at controls? Or, ask if you can draft them - don't take pulls and save your energy for hanging on. If it's a flat route, maybe you can finish before it gets dark.