PDA

View Full Version : Cheap bike stands or alternatives?

Dianyla
06-20-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm somewhat in the market for a bicycle stand to make it easier to do my own home maintenance, but I'm rather put off by the high prices. It seems that the low range of prices for workstands is $50-75 for something really flimsy and rickety, or $100+ for a nice stable sturdy bike stand.

And then I've started thinking... there must be a better way. Has anyone built their own bike stand? Or are you using something not designed for that purpose originally to serve as a bike stand?

One idea I have come up with so far: I have been thinking for some time about buying one of those neat-o pulley-based bike hoists like this (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=2268&subcategory_ID=6600). I was thinking maybe I could get one of those and mount it above the work area. To store my bike it would be pulled up to the ceiling, and to service it I could lower it down yet keep it suspended in the air... but it might tend to flop around a bit as it would be hanging free.

Other ideas?

spazzdog
06-20-2005, 04:57 PM
I actually had a bike mechanic suggest that I just use my trainer for a mech stand. It's stable and you can do almost anything you need to.

spazz

Dianyla
06-20-2005, 05:42 PM
I actually had a bike mechanic suggest that I just use my trainer for a mech stand. It's stable and you can do almost anything you need to.
Hmm, that is a good idea... now if only I had a trainer! :p

spazzdog
06-20-2005, 06:01 PM
I'd go with a trainer over a mech stand 'cause you can use it to ride if the weathers nasty... or you have a injury and need a way to "come back" without going outside.

spazz

Dianyla
06-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Hmmmm... *rubbing hands together*

Sounds like a good way to justify purchasing a trainer. :rolleyes:

spazzdog
06-20-2005, 07:01 PM
That's the spirit!

eat to ride, ride to shop, yee-hah!

spazz

snapdragen
06-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Or there's this, works for me to do minor stuff, like chain cleaning etc.

http://tinyurl.com/9tmf9

Then you save up for the trainer. ;)

RoadRaven
06-21-2005, 01:43 AM
We use a broken indoor wind-trainer stand - it no longer has the resistance... its just the metal frame

And we also have a free standing coat rack (collected as a "free-to-a-loved-home"), with a couple of large hooks hanging from the bar. The hooks are covered in old inner tube --- it is a great place to safely hang a frame, with or without the wheels still on

oroight
06-21-2005, 05:08 AM
l read about someone hanging some (light) chain from their roof (bolted )and have hooks on the bottom to attach to handle bars and seat,l might have to try this,but l will thread chain thru exposed roof beams

or using the bike carrier from car somehow bolted on to workbench?
Road raven how did you break your trainer,you must have some workouts :D !!!

Wendy
06-21-2005, 12:44 PM
I've been thinking about getting this one (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=14015&srccode=1067) from Topeak. Nashbar has it for $25, and it looks good enough for cleaning and minor maintenance, which is about all I'm capable of doing.