PDA

View Full Version : Nice Rides Landry's Bicycles MA

Imperfectstorm
05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Landry's Bicycles offers rides for all abilities: The URL will point you to their Event Calendar

http://www.landrys.com/events/LandrysGroupRides/WestboroBeginnerRoadRide/default.aspx

mayanorange
05-03-2009, 09:39 AM
I agree, they run some really nice rides!

Crankin
05-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Have either of you gone to these? I might want to, but I'm not clear of their concept of "moderate" pace. To some, that's an average of 19.

mayanorange
05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Robyn- Dave and I went on the Natick ride this past week. They divided up into 17+ and below (ie us). Andy (my fitter) led us slow people- most of us were riding about 14-15ish with a couple that were slower but we'd wait for them at the turns. Andy's fast enough that he'd leave the 4 faster of us on our own a minute, fall back to check on the slower 2, then be back up to us in a flash. We did about 14.5 miles (with a good number of nasty hills) and I bet the faster crew did 20ish. Andy said once it gets bigger through the summer, they'll do 3 groups- basically adding a 20+ group to the 2 we had.

Imperfectstorm
05-03-2009, 07:10 PM
I just started riding on Sunday mornings. There is something for everyone and a no drop. Nice people and leaders.

I heard some of the intermediate rides can be testosterone overload :eek:

Crankin
05-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Well, I'm not going to drive to Natick for a 15 mile ride!
Are the rides from the reservoir lead by Landry's people? Or is that another group? I have ridden out there from my old house in Boxborough and it was nice. I know the Worcester AMC chapter sometimes has rides from there.
I just got back from riding to the gym. I guess I haven't been doing much commuter type riding, because I had 2 "incidents," with pick ups today. I was never in any danger, but it's always the same type of vehicle/person with NH license plates.. I had some practice using my middle finger (hey they called me an a**hole for taking the lane).

SheFly
05-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Robyn - come to Lexington for the Tues women's rides. They start tomorrow, and roll PROMPTLY at 6 pm. You're close enough for that, and it's good fun. Deb has even come out a few times...

SheFly

mayanorange
05-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, I'm not going to drive to Natick for a 15 mile ride!

Fair enough. I drive by there on my way home anyway. I bet we would have done another few miles if we weren't waiting for the guys (sorry, but they were totally out of shape and I think one had just switched to clipless pedals that day and nearly fell over onto me while stopping twice! :eek:).

I'm going to attempt to make the lexington rides every other week or so since it's more out of the way for me.

Crankin
05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Cathy, I have class tomorrow and the next week on Tuesdays and then I am free. Will I miss too much if I don't start until the 19th?
I will start with the "slow" group, even though I am on the slower end of the middle one, though.

SheFly
05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Cathy, I have class tomorrow and the next week on Tuesdays and then I am free. Will I miss too much if I don't start until the 19th?
I will start with the "slow" group, even though I am on the slower end of the middle one, though.

Come when you can. This isn't a progressive ride - show and go and we ride until almost the end of September. I don't show every week, but have told my coach to plug them in at least twice per month. You won't miss anything - we repeat the same mantra every week so that by the end of the season, the regulars already know what we're going to say ;).

SheFly

kfergos
05-10-2009, 02:46 AM
I just started riding on Sunday mornings. There is something for everyone and a no drop. Nice people and leaders.

I heard some of the intermediate rides can be testosterone overload :eek:That's what's made me reluctant to do Landry's rides. I love Landry's Westboro and did the Tour de Landry's last year. In that ride the SLOWEST group was 15 - 16 mph, and it went up from there. I'm at like 14-15 mph average right now, so I don't want to ride with a slow newbies group but the intermediate riders are way beyond me. I should probably just try the Sat. intermediate ride and see how it goes.

PS - Would you ladies ride today? The sustained 20-mph winds with gusts up to 35 mph make me rather nervous.

redrhodie
05-10-2009, 03:49 AM
PS - Would you ladies ride today? The sustained 20-mph winds with gusts up to 35 mph make me rather nervous.

It's howling here already. I'm not riding today. It just doesn't sound fun.

mayanorange
05-10-2009, 04:22 AM
We're heading out tonight one way or another- 8 wks out from the MS150, and with my commute, I gotta get out on the weekends.

This past week's Landrys ride I thought was going to be a disaster- it was DH and I and then 5 of the super fast boys and Andy declared we'd stay together as a group. Other than one section where they dropped into paceline that was a little too fast, it was a good ride- pushed ourselves to a 16mph average, which was fine since it was only 17 miles, and the boys were good about not dropping us, which I was impressed with since Andy's the only one I know.

K- if you know the guys at Westboro, I'd think there'd be a few that will be willing to hang with you.

Imperfectstorm
05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
:DI road today and had a good time, was told to ride with the advanced beginners next week- Whoo Hoo

Crankin
05-10-2009, 03:17 PM
The wind was brutal today, but I rode almost 40 miles. It really slowed us down, but it was still gorgeous out. But, since both me and my bike are kinda light, I did have some difficulty staying on the road in a couple of spots. Thankfully, not many cars in those places.

kfergos
05-11-2009, 05:00 AM
We're heading out tonight one way or another- 8 wks out from the MS150, and with my commute, I gotta get out on the weekends.Which MS ride??

Crankin, you're a braver woman than I am, then. The prospect of a 70-mile ride in those winds made me shudder. I did see a good number of cyclists more intrepid than me, though. We went for a walk in the Acton Heath Hen Conservation Area instead -- very pretty but boy the mosquitoes were vicious!

mayanorange
05-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Which MS ride??

The Cape Cod Getaway.

We did 19 miles in the wind last night- I was sore and the wind wasn't helping, but we made it.

kfergos
05-11-2009, 09:01 AM
The Cape Cod Getaway. Oooo me too! We should try to meet up!

mayanorange
05-11-2009, 09:11 AM
definitely! Dave and I will be there. Have you ridden it before? Are you going with a team?

kfergos
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I did it last year -- ended up riding with a guy who had a stuffed unicorn strapped to his helmet. His name was Steve (if I recall correctly) and he lived within like 2 miles of my house. I'm totally on my own and team-less, so biking buddies would be wonderful! How bout you? Are you on a team?

mayanorange
05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
I did it last year -- ended up riding with a guy who had a stuffed unicorn strapped to his helmet. His name was Steve (if I recall correctly) and he lived within like 2 miles of my house. I'm totally on my own and team-less, so biking buddies would be wonderful! How bout you? Are you on a team?

We've never ridden it and are on a 2 person team (ie just us) so we can split donations. We should arrange to meet up!