PDA

View Full Version : I *finally* did it (teaching)...

Miranda
05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=19074

:eek:Whoa... this thread of mine above was still here on TE, but pretty old. Thus, I just decided I would start this one...

After a long time of "thinking", and then "waiting" for my gym to have a spot for me (with economy cut backs etc.) I recently started teaching Spinning:cool:.

Omg... I was (& still am to a lesser degree) SOOOO nervous my first class. I thought I might need someone to perform CPR on ME as the instructor lol. YIKES!

Actually, trying to figure out cool music and drills has been challenging... but really more fun than I would have thought.

Gheez, the hard part is really knowing what the people in class are thinking??? Is it good? Not? What??? :confused: The worst I think is figuring out if I am coming in clear on the mic. I ask, but not much feedback. Oh well... it will all come.

Frankly, I'm just glad I survived so far!:o Just an update from the thread way back machine:).

latelatebloomer
05-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Congrats, Miranda. I'm sure you did well and will only get better. Reading the "audience" is so hard (I do various author presentations and workshops.) I've discovered that the facial expressions for rapt attention and utter boredom are almost identical!

Best of luck to you!

papaver
05-01-2009, 11:00 PM
hey good for you! ;)

OakLeaf
05-02-2009, 01:57 AM
Yay! It does get easier. And more fun! :D

Resi
05-02-2009, 11:59 AM
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=19074

:eek:Whoa... this thread of mine above was still here on TE, but pretty old. Thus, I just decided I would start this one...

After a long time of "thinking", and then "waiting" for my gym to have a spot for me (with economy cut backs etc.) I recently started teaching Spinning:cool:.

Omg... I was (& still am to a lesser degree) SOOOO nervous my first class. I thought I might need someone to perform CPR on ME as the instructor lol. YIKES!

Actually, trying to figure out cool music and drills has been challenging... but really more fun than I would have thought.

Gheez, the hard part is really knowing what the people in class are thinking??? Is it good? Not? What??? :confused: The worst I think is figuring out if I am coming in clear on the mic. I ask, but not much feedback. Oh well... it will all come.

Frankly, I'm just glad I survived so far!:o Just an update from the thread way back machine:).

Miranda,

Good job, it will get easier. I know it is hard, when there is no feedback, and it feels like you talk to a wall... don't give up...also think of this "you are the motivator"! Go girl go

Resi

Miranda
05-03-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks for those replies:). Yea... many of our teachers at the gym have taught for many years (like 20-ish yrs). They can all *still* remember what it was like sarting out. I think that says a lot about the process. Appreciate the support!

Zeek
05-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Congrats Miranda. You only have one first class. And now you've got that under your belt. As time goes on, you will gain more confidence up there. It is NOT easy to get up there in front of a crowd and lead. Try not to talk too much. That's difficult to get used to (being silent) but it gives your riders a chance to "get into" their ride (and talking too much is a huge distraction).

You should be proud of yourself for taking a huge step! Great job! Do you have a weekly class now, of your own, or are you subbing for now? Either way it's a great, new beginning for you!

ivorygorgon
05-07-2009, 04:02 AM
Awesome job! I think that really takes a lot of guts. My hat is off to you. I think you have a really positive attitude and that will make all the difference in the long run!

Miranda
05-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Congrats Miranda. You only have one first class. And now you've got that under your belt. As time goes on, you will gain more confidence up there. It is NOT easy to get up there in front of a crowd and lead. Try not to talk too much. That's difficult to get used to (being silent) but it gives your riders a chance to "get into" their ride (and talking too much is a huge distraction).

You should be proud of yourself for taking a huge step! Great job! Do you have a weekly class now, of your own, or are you subbing for now? Either way it's a great, new beginning for you!

Difficult to get used to *big time*...

Thx, Zeek... was wondering if you would see this thread. Appreciate the support:).

I never knew how long 15seconds of silence could actually seem like until I started teaching. At first, I would cue whatever we were doing for the next minute. Then think "um, ok, that's all I got for ya now... ride it out"... but, OMG, the silence is un-nerving. Seems like about every 15secs I need to spew something out of my mouth for a short blab. Maybe I don't then.

Yes, I *finally* got my regular spot. One set class a week. Plus, whatever I sub. And worst right after I got it... the gym made some more cuts. I was so scared they were going to boot me off the schedule to re-arrange the higher senority teachers in my spot. Which I would understand if needed. Just be sad about it. But, fingers crossed, so far so good.

Summer is hard though. Attendance overall drops at the gym when it's nice outside. Plus peeps summer travel plans etc.

Awesome job! I think that really takes a lot of guts. My hat is off to you. I think you have a really positive attitude and that will make all the difference in the long run!

I appreciate that! Yes... I don't know if my class people actually realize what Spinning means to me. For years I carried extra weight miserably. Finally when I changed some other things in my life and re-found the gym, it did SO much for me.

Not being able to do impactive sports per my docs was like getting an exercise death sentance. First spin class (something doc allowed) I was in love. It's something I passionately believe in helping people of any fitness level achieve their goals. I hope that comes through to my class peeps:).

Plus, it lead to re-finding my old childhood love of riding my bike outside. Really, it could not have been more of a "win-win" situation... that literally changed my life!:cool:

Raindrop
05-31-2009, 06:53 PM
I just read your post and by now you've got lots of classes under your belt (so to speak) and are probably gettting more comfortable. Hey, I've been teaching this format since 1997 and still get those doubtful classes. The funny thing is, when I think I've totally disconnected with the class is the time I get someone coming up after class who says something like, "thanks for the cue on relaxing my dominate leg, it made a difference".

Likewise, after a lot of really connective classes you get someone who stomps out halfway through (shrug).

Enjoy that you're able to spread the passion you have for cycling to people that may or may not ever get that "bug". For those that get it...just think, you've been a part in their epiphany!:D

Part of the magic of this format is converting them from a bike that goes nowhere to a bike outdoors. It happens over and over and it's a great feeling.:)

Miranda
06-01-2009, 03:06 AM
I just read your post and by now you've got lots of classes under your belt (so to speak) and are probably gettting more comfortable. Hey, I've been teaching this format since 1997 and still get those doubtful classes. The funny thing is, when I think I've totally disconnected with the class is the time I get someone coming up after class who says something like, "thanks for the cue on relaxing my dominate leg, it made a difference".

Likewise, after a lot of really connective classes you get someone who stomps out halfway through (shrug).

Enjoy that you're able to spread the passion you have for cycling to people that may or may not ever get that "bug". For those that get it...just think, you've been a part in their epiphany!:D

Part of the magic of this format is converting them from a bike that goes nowhere to a bike outdoors. It happens over and over and it's a great feeling.:)

I thought I remembered you as being one who taught also from this board. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I am feeling more comfy looking at my students from the teacher bike.

Attendance has been low with summer. But, my boss said that happens seasonally. Don't take it personally. Use this time to "perfect my craft". Good advice.

It's funny you say that about helping to transform people to outside riders that might not ever done so otherwise. I had one gal last week mention that she could only ride about 30mins outside etc. Had a short chat about that.

I'm not sure on all the details of how the gym's liability would work, but I have considered starting our own outside riding club. The gym has one for runners.

You would think in the end it only supports biz on the inside. Once winter gets too brutual to be outside, they have to seek training inside somewhere;).

Thx for the input!:)