PDA

View Full Version : HOliday Wish list ( and where is everyone?)

Irulan
12-12-2002, 08:14 AM
OK, here's what's on my list:

mechanical disc brakes
multi-tool
Zinn and the Art of MB maintenance

what's on your list?

gapgoil
12-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Hate to say that this year is a bike-less Christmas! Every other major holiday and gift giving time of year I ask for (and get) anything bike that I need (yes, Valentines' Day was full of romance and new clipless shoes...):D
I am sure that Santa will put lube or a tool or two in my stocking because he knows me very well!!

ps If I am really lucky, I will get this:
http://www.norco.com/bikes/2003bikes/images/fluid3.jpg
;)

Veronica
12-12-2002, 03:30 PM
I'm getting my Christmas present in Feb. We're going to Hawaii and biking around the Big Island. We've bought a bunch of stuff for the bike for the trip.

My sister gave me a wool bicycle jersey. I got my husband back issues of the Rivendell reader. One of my sisters is getting him a better floor pump. The other got him the cadence sensor for his heart rate monitor. I've made big hints about Lance Armstrong's book.

One of my students asked me what I wanted. I told him a Mazda Miata. I don't think I'll get it. ;)

Veronica

assassin__x
12-13-2002, 05:18 PM
I'm hoping for an entry level road bike (go look at my post on what to look for in a road bike, I'm ignorant and need some help fast). Other than that, some cycling and climbing clothes, climbing gear (trad stuff), and Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance.

Frankly, I don't care much if I get anything. I finally have money of my own to buy stuff with, I'm almost out of university so I'll have even more cash then. My parents have had a pretty tough time lately with family and a recent death. After they've done so much for my Aunt and the rest of my family I would rather they sit back, and not fret about rushing to do christmas shopping. But I would like to get them something that they'd enjoy.

goddess1222
12-14-2002, 10:02 AM
i want a new 2003 Fuji Pro road bike with a Mavic wheelset.

missliz
12-17-2002, 09:36 PM
I got a great Xmas gift already- I've been sick all fall, nagging sinus infection, SO frustrating... Sick sick after every ride or workout... We figured out the problem! Acid reflux causes chronic sinusitis! I got a big scrip for antacid stuff, I'm getting well and back in the gym, HOORAY! I got cleared to start riding Xmas day. Cyclocross bike in a cold muddy sugar cane field that afternoon. Too fat and weak to do it justice, but I've waited three years! Ride 'till I puke, even if it only takes five minutes. Best of all, my favorite jerseys fit again. Well dressed and puking :p , that's the life.
And my knees have quit hurting. Next summer, everybody can eat my dust!:D
Sadly, I'm pretty well set for toys and there's nothing to drool over. Maybe a Jeep Rubicon to get to the middle of nowhere trails.

Merry Christmas girls!

miss liz

MM_QFC!
12-17-2002, 09:56 PM
Isn't it great when you can feel in control or get some more info or whatever it is that can help you move ahead? Great news that you can look forward to a ride...that sounds like a great topper of a wish list!
Thanks for the vivid word pic of well-dressed and puking - what a great phrase!
Having had chronic knee problems till surgery 2 yrs ago, I can sure appreciate the absence of pain... and wouldn't mind eating anyone's dust to support their successfull recovery...
I'll just close my yap from my usual habit of flipping good-natured **** along the road to all - in a kidding, gently tweaking kind of way - so that I don't have to actually ingest it...still dealing with asthma and all...gotta watch that dust stuff!
Merry Christmas and Congrats, missliz - keep going!

missliz
12-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Hey! I had my surgury for chronic knee problems this summer! We're both in The Special Club Nobody Wants To Join! I had lateral releases of the patellae, one knee is age 22 again and the other is a grade five chondromalacia patella. Hell of a pairing, but my spin is so pretty! I had no idea it was so easy for other people who don't fight joint misalignment when they ride.
So, new knees are a pretty cool Xmas present too.
Oh, bragging rights! I made Primal Guy's crash and burn page- I went over the bars and smacked up my noggin, helmets are worth every penny, but I got a BIG black eye, and you all need to go to primalwear.com to get the kicker. You'll laugh and laugh! So Primal Guy is sending me a special badge for being in another Club Nobody Wants To Join. Ugly crashes and emergency room trips.
A little stocking stuffer?

missliz

MM_QFC!
12-18-2002, 10:53 AM
Lateral releases of the patella here too...lots of IT band involvement, that surprised the surgeon when he got in there, so more time spent surgically on that area...and then the usual debridement and cleanup of years of accumulated 'stuff' in there...it has been awesome to have a reborn knee (my friends remember the pain and swelling I used to have and now I just have a ****-eating grin on my face while riding...they call it my bionic knee)...so far so good with my other knee, but I anticipate the same at some point and have no apprehension...good surgeon and awesome PT were key and I'd set it up identically in a heartbeat.
So is your pic/story on the 'endo story' part of the Primal Guy site?
Good advice from you to Since also re: Covert Bailey, missliz...he's good and if anyone is interested, there's lots more info on his website
http://covertbailey.com/
He's gives it to you straight up...no nonsense and easy to understand...clever and witty throughout.
ta, ta for now...

missliz
12-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Covert has a site? Super- I need a review of the stuff. My surguries are marvelous! I haven't really ridden much, false starts after three years of trying to find competent care, but the knees are like butter; My surgeon is one of the great gifted ones. He's in Denver now if anybody needs work, and he really likes and respects women. very rare in a knee/ sports guy. One of the nicest human beings I've ever met, and the most truly sexy guy I've met in years :D . Married, too bad.
Actually, damn that guy's hot! And he's gotta be sixty at least. His last surgury day before he left LSU I checked with the other women in the line up, the nurses, the other woman docs. He's hot. Gives me hope.
I'm really single and desperate, huh? Time to get serious on that bike.
If you need the other knee released, it's even easier now- between my right (April) and left (August) they released a new tool called the bloodless cautery knife for arthro surgury. I walked out of the hospital with my crutches over my shoulder! Practicly no swelling, much easier rehab, awsome difference so don't be as hesitent, the second one can be a relative peice of cake. I was strolling the dog about the hood the day after.
I guess I'm on the endo page at Primal Crash and burn- I haven't checked. He asked for permission to publish it a week ago. No pix, didn't think to take any. This is from 1998, but still a good tale.

Toodles.

missliz