PDA

View Full Version : Rides in Maine --- cue sheets

DeniseGoldberg
06-20-2005, 05:28 AM
If you're planning a trip to Maine, the state has cue sheets for 25 rides - rides that I would consider as day trips. I've done a few of them in the southern coastal area, and the ones I rode were quite enjoyable.

You can find a map with links to the areas of the state - which then goes on to link to the list of rides in that area - at http://www.exploremaine.org/bike/bike_tours.html.

You can find descriptions and some photos from the tours that I've done in my journal Exploring a small piece of the Maine coast (and New Hampshire too!) (http://Denise2002Maine.crazyguyonabike.com).

Veronica
06-20-2005, 06:17 AM
I really like that beach and sea grass picture. Makes me wish we were taking our bikes to Maine.

V.

oldbikah
06-22-2005, 12:35 PM
The link you mention, Denise, also will give one an opportunity to request a wonderful print version of those rides, bound together with descriptions and fold out maps...and FREE! It was first put together in 2000 or 2001 and has grown from just a pamhlet.

If one rides in Maine, especially western Maine, it behooves one to know which roads are heavily used by logging trucks. Two logging trucks passing in opposite directions are lethal to bikes.. There is NO room left and many roads have no paved shoulders and precious little gravel shoulder. Route 27 in the mountains near Sugarloaf (where I live) is a beautiful, scenic ride, but scary.

DeniseGoldberg
07-03-2005, 04:03 AM
...also will give one an opportunity to request a wonderful print version of those rides, bound together with descriptions and fold out maps...and FREE!

I stopped at a Maine information center on I-95 to pick up a current version of the Maine bicycling map and the book that you mentioned. All I can say is WOW! What a nice publication. I'll continue to use the web site to print cue sheets for any rides that I plan to do rather than tear the cue sheets out of the book. I intend to use the book as a reference for future trips (overnight or day trips) in Maine.

Thanks for mentioning this - I wouldn't have known to ask for it.

--- Denise

mainerider
08-04-2005, 06:26 AM
I lead a women's only ride on Saturdays, leaving at 8 am from Cape Able Bike Shop in Kennebunkport, ME. It is a 26 mile loop that goes around Biddeford Pool (ocean vistas). The ride just started this spring and I've been really psyched by the number of women that have shown up. Most are pretty good cyclists that have never done group riding but pick up the skills really fast. I'm planning the ride to continue through the winter but it will likely turn co-ed for the winter.

There is also a Sunday morning ride (co-ed) leaving at 8 am from the same bike shop. We break out into 5 groups (from fast 20+ to recreational). The rides go from 30-45 miles in length. The group I lead is the B+. We generally average 17-18 mph and do a 32 mile loop. Our bike club supplies coffee and muffins after the Sunday ride so we can socialize afterwards. This ride also continues all winter long (conditions are above 10 degrees and roads are mostly clear - most of us used our mountain bikes/cross bikes through the winter).

So if you are visiting the area, please bring your bike and join us!

Maureen

SpinSis
08-04-2005, 08:00 AM
This is great! I meant to write awhile back because I checked out the link under your earlier posting Denise. I am going to be spending a week on Schoodic penisula in September and had heard from the camp owner that there is a nice 12-15 mile loop to ride out there. And then I found it on the Maine bike website! :D I had him look it over and he agreed that the web site was a great resource. So it is stamped with local approval!

And I'm so glad that you have a good-sized group of women riders up there, Mainerider. It's refreshing to hear.

Happy Peddle Vacations (or weekdays...)
S

anaphase
08-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks for posting this, Denise!

DeniseGoldberg
08-10-2005, 04:44 AM
I am going to be spending a week on Schoodic penisula in September and had heard from the camp owner that there is a nice 12-15 mile loop to ride out there. And then I found it on the Maine bike website! :D I had him look it over and he agreed that the web site was a great resource. So it is stamped with local approval!

I actually did that loop around the Schoodic Penninsula during my tour in Maine in late June - I thought it was awesome! For a description of my day and some photos, here's the link to the page in my journal for my Schoodic ride: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=as&page_id=23048&v=8a.

Have fun on your September trip!

--- Denise

mainerider
08-10-2005, 05:01 AM
Thanks Denise for the journal and pics. I haven't been to Bar Harbor in a couple of years, I need to plan a trip back!

Maureen

DeniseGoldberg
08-10-2005, 05:11 AM
Thanks Denise for the journal and pics. I haven't been to Bar Harbor in a couple of years, I need to plan a trip back!

Maureen

Maureen -
You're very welcome! There are more Acadia pics in the full journal (as opposed to the page I linked to above) at http://denise2005downeast.crazyguyonabike.com and in my smugmug photo gallery at http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/630566. I hadn't been there for years either, and I'm really glad I went back.

I might see you on the road in your neck of the woods either this weekend or next. If you see someone tooling around on a Bike Friday, it's probably me! I'm thinking of heading up for a day to do the Southern Coast tour (http://www.exploremaine.org/bike/southern_coast.html) from the Maine DOT web site. While it would be fun to join your group ride, I ride much slower than the speeds you mentioned, so I'll just do my normal thing and strike out on my own. It's been a while since I rode that one, and I think it's about time. I'm trying to make sure I get in a few 50 to 60 mile rides over the next few weeks as I prepare myself for an almost 2-week self-supported tour of Prince Edward Island in September. Can't wait!

--- Denise

mainerider
08-10-2005, 05:50 AM
If you do this Tour Saturday or Sunday mornings we'll cross paths. Looks of good scenic beaches!

Your trip to PEI sounds great. We have relatives on the Island so we've visited several times. Last time I took my mountain bike so I could take advantage of all the dirt roads that go for miles.

Maureen

SpinSis
08-10-2005, 11:51 AM
I actually did that loop around the Schoodic Penninsula during my tour in Maine in late June - I thought it was awesome!

Denise, what an awesome set of pictures of Schoodic (and
Route 1 from Ellsworth). I can't WAIT to get up there now and ride that 12 mile loop. I was concerned about riding the same route over and over while in Winter Harbor, but after your write-up and photos, I'm more excited than concerned! Thanks for sharing the site.

Have a blast in PEI. I assume we can all tune in for photos and essays post-trip for that one too?!

Stacy

DeniseGoldberg
08-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Have a blast in PEI. I assume we can all tune in for photos and essays post-trip for that one too?!

Stacy

Thanks so much for your compliments on my pictures - it's so much fun trying to capture things with my camera!

And in answer to your question, absolutely! I plan to be updating a journal from the road, but the pictures will have to wait until I get home. It's just too hard to find internet cafes that will let you plug in a USB adapter to upload the pics! I'll post a link to the journal before I leave.

Have a great trip to Maine, and I hope that you enjoy the Schoodic Penninsula as much as I did.

--- Denise

BikeMomma
09-26-2005, 09:26 AM
I lead a women's only ride on Saturdays, leaving at 8 am from Cape Able Bike Shop in Kennebunkport, ME. It is a 26 mile loop that goes around Biddeford Pool (ocean vistas). bikes through the winter).Maureen
Mainerider -

Is this anywhere near Augusta or Saco? See my thread.... http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=4026. I'm looking for a Saturday ride (..ummm...I need a bike first, tho' :D :o ) while I'm there.

-BikeMomma

oldbikah
09-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Kennebunkport is not very far (south) from Saco. I do not know if Cape-able rents bikes, but their phone (current, I hope) is 800-220-0907.
Enjoy