PDA

View Full Version : 12 hours of Steamboat

bikerINco
06-19-2005, 09:18 PM
My friend and I competed in the 24 hours of Steamboat, but signed up as a duo for the 12 hours. Let's begin the discussion with the fact that i had and still have Bronchitis. i became sick with it 2 weeks before the race and didn't really train. i knew that i couldn't back out being that i promised to do it and i hate quitting (or admitting that i'm sick).

The course is very grueling 2100 feet vertical each lap. Along with the killer climb was a VERY fun technical single track down. i was coughing the whole way up the first lap and had no energy for the downhill. my 2nd lap, i took my time and actually enjoyed the whole ride. My 3rd lap, was terrible, my lungs were on fire due to the cold and wind. ok..enough *****ing...
Turns out we were the only all girls team to sign up for the 12 hour. So we took it easy and got the job done. My friend did 4 laps and i did 3. We actually beat the 2 mixed duo teams and some of the men's teams!!

it was a tough race, but felt real good when it was over. we agreed to do it again next year. it's amazing that you don't remember how horrible you feel during these endurance races. :) stupidity!!

SadieKate
06-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Good for you! One of these days I want to get together a group for a 12 or 24 ride. Just to have fun! We're you able to ride in daylight only?

I empathize on the bronchitis. The sinus infection I came home with a couple weeks ago morphed into bronchitis which has now calmed down to asthma. So, every time I get off the bike I start coughing. I know exactly how you feel - yuck!

bikerINco
06-20-2005, 09:28 AM
the best part of the 12 hour was that we started the race at 12pm and went to 12am. so, we only had to do 1 night lap each. you also don't have to deal with sleep deprievation like you do for the 24 hours. However, you don't really get to rest between laps. it's just enough time to change clothes, eat something small and get back out there. You should really try to do one of the races. it's a great environment. Not too competetive b/c as you pass or get passed, you don't really know what category the other rider is in.

About my sickness...which seems very similar to yours.....it's been almost a month!! i feel fine, but when i go to exert any energy...ride up a hill, my lungs won't have it. i start coughing violently. 2 nights ago, in the middle of the night, i had an asthma attack. Never had one before...really scary.

the whole thing is really annoying. :( i have missed 2 races because of it and am losing my fitness level rapidly. i'm going to go back to the Dr. for some help. Any suggestions in the meantime???

SadieKate
06-20-2005, 09:38 AM
the whole thing is really annoying. :( i have missed 2 races because of it and am losing my fitness level rapidly. i'm going to go back to the Dr. for some help. Any suggestions in the meantime???I wish. I haven't had asthma problems for years and then it was cold-weather induced. Bubba had to push me home from one of my first winter rides way back when. This bout has only been 2 weeks and I had mentally set a month as my deadline for going to the doc. Since I had to fly with the sinusitis it became a much worse attack than average so I know it's going to take a long time to recuperate. A normal cold is a 14-day cycle so I'm actually way ahead of schedule, thanks to Nasonex.

bikerINco
06-21-2005, 04:43 PM
thanks for the info. good luck kicking the bug!