PDA

View Full Version : Interesting commute to work this Saturday morning...

Kalidurga
04-25-2009, 05:00 AM
Does anyone know what organized ride was heading out Clara Barton Parkway 8:15-ish this morning? Looked like a 100 or so people with both van and motorcycle support.

I hadn't had any caffeine yet, so I'm sorry to say they annoyed the bejeepers out of me. It was obvious by the flashing lights on the leading van and the motorcycles running along beside them that the ride was meant to take the entire lane they were in. Why-oh-why, then, did some of the riders feel the need to take even more space by riding on the dividing line or even over it in the lane of oncoming traffic? They made the driver in front of me so nervous that he slowed down below 10mph and crept along, stopping every time a bike crossed the line. I respect anyone who gets on a bike, but really, what's wrong with some of us?

Second interesting situation had nothing to do with bikes but was so startling I've gotta mention it. I'm on L St, crossing 23rd as I head into town, and what do I see coming towards me? A mass of black-clothed, hooded and masked humanity, running the wrong way against traffic and taking up the entire road from curb to curb. Ah! The ever-popular IMF protesters! They'd apparently gotten a permit for their shenanigans, because they were followed by a half dozen cop cars and motorcycles that pulled up and stopped traffic behind the protesters :rolleyes:

And now I'm at work and have some tea and can shake my head about it all. What a way to start the day ;)

Selkie
04-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Summer arrived two months too soon today here in DC, too (not that I'm complaining, mind you)!! :) Hope you got out early so you could enjoy the weather.

madscot13
04-25-2009, 12:26 PM
this is why you should not work on saturdays.

I know there was an organized Pedalling for Peace Ride, but I don't think this was it at all.

ny biker
04-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Well, this was supposed to start yesterday, not today, but I wonder if it was part of the Face of America ride from Bethesda to Gettysburg. It supports veterans who have been injured in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Kalidurga
04-25-2009, 12:43 PM
this is why you should not work on saturdays

Yes, but I had an awesome ride when I was off on Thursday, with no crowds :D

And, mickchick: Nope, I'm still here...

ny biker: Not sure why a ride starting in Bethesda and heading to Gettysburg would have swung down to Clara Barton Parkway. Tried to google both rides mentioned above, but couldn't find much info about either (since I am supposed to be working, after all :rolleyes:).

ny biker
04-25-2009, 01:01 PM
ny biker: Not sure why a ride starting in Bethesda and heading to Gettysburg would have swung down to Clara Barton Parkway. Tried to google both rides mentioned above, but couldn't find much info about either (since I am supposed to be working, after all :rolleyes:).

Yeah, that's what I figured, but it's the only thing I could find that sounded like what you described.