PDA

View Full Version : front chainring shifter question

batsheva
04-24-2009, 12:11 PM
my friend had an accident that has drastically limited his left hand strength and movement - he has dura-ace brifters on a double crank bike..

i wondered if anyone knew if the womens shimano ST-R600 Short Reach STI Shifters off my triple-crank bike would work if we swapped them across onto his dura-ace double bike as a temporary measure to get him out riding again sooner rather than later- it is just the left hand that is an issue.. and i THINK we both have 9 speed rear cassettes anyway, so am pretty confident the right hand controls would not be a problem..

thanks for your input!
batsheva

Cataboo
04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
You could do it... you can set the derailleur screws so that the chain won't shift off if he accidently shifts down from the third gear.

But maybe putting a bar end shifter on his left side would be less work for both of your bikes.

DebW
04-24-2009, 03:48 PM
I agree with Catriona that a bar end shifter would likely be easier for him to use. Much less hand strength involved.

aicabsolut
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM
I agree also. Plus, the throw on DA front levers is VERY short (and easy), compared to other Shimano components. So assuming his fingers can reach as far, then moving to other brifter-type Shimano shifters would make things worse.

Instead of bar end shifters, can he rig it to take a downtube shifter on that side? I don't remember how they used to rig Lance's Treks. In the Tour, he'd use a front DT shifter because it provides more trim.

DebW
04-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Depends on what motion is easier for him. A downtube shifter you grab between thumb and hand and move with your wrist and arm. A bar end shifter is moved with the outer fingers and wrist.