PDA

View Full Version : My first triathlon is done!

KSH
06-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Triathlon: 4th Annual PowerMadien. All women triathlon.
300 yard swim, 13 mile bike, 5K run.

So, we went to Athen's, Tx on Friday... because it is 90 miles from Dallas, and I wasn't going to start driving early in the morning before the event!

We chilled in this very small town... found some pasta to eat... and went to bed at a decent hour.

I could barely sleep! I was so nervous/anxious/excited! I even had *nightmares* that I didn't get there in time to set up my gear perfectly before the tri started.

So... I get up at 5:00 AM (on Sat. June 18th)... and kind of mull about eating and drinking. We pack up and leave at 5:45 AM.

Once there I unpack all my gear, set it all up just perfect for a quick transition time... and then I did some running and swimming to warm up.

I have to say that I was a little intimidated which I saw some of the competitors... I didn't see cellulite on any thighs at first... I figured I was going to be the *fatty* on the course! These ladies (most were older than me) were in amazing shape! But...as more people showed up... I started to see more ladies without perfect bodies... and I felt much better about my tiny outfit!

Then comes the pre-race meeting... that lasts around 15 minutes or so.

Finally... it is time to start!

Due to the fact that my swim time is pretty good... I was in the first group to be lined up for the pool. I was #17 in the line!

The swim was 300 yards in this very murky pool. It kind of sucked, because I had to go to my right to change lanes and make my turns. So, doing *perfect* flip turns were out of the question.

The swim portion in one word: CHAOS! At one point I had someone going slow in front of me... two people passing on my left... and someone in the left lane trying to pass those people. At that point I just stood up. Then I got back to it... and I had to breaststroke... because the girl in front me.. her freestyle was a fast my my breaststroke! I finally found a place to pass her and took off.

Out of the water, I ran over to the bikes. YEA for getting to run through gravel barefooted. I was so happy that I had an extra hand towel at my spot... the gravel/dirt had turned to nast mud and I was able to quickly clean my feet.

My transition time from swim to bike was around 1 minute! *Smile*

Then I hit the bike. I knew going into this that the running portion was going to be my weak spot, so I focused on hauling butt on the bike!

I kept my speed around 18-22 MPH the whole way... with some exceptions. I was SHOCKED! I never ride that fast! WOW!

The 13 miles just flew by... I had it over in around 40 minutes! I was truly in *awe* of myself!

The only bad thing is that I got caught behind this lady... and I didn't have the power to pass her... and some other lady was caught behind me. We were clumped up too close and I got a 2 minute penalty for drafting! I knew it was going to happen... but oh well??? I kept trying to fall behind, but I didn't want to go under 18 MPH.

Towards the end of the bike portion I started to get a stitch in my side... not good.

Off the bike and on to the running... my transition time there was very quick... under a minute.

Once running I realized that the stitch in my side was not going away... and was going to cause an issue. The 3 miles I had to run started to seem VERY FAR! I tried walking... stretching... breathing deep... rubbing on it... and the stitch was there to stay.

So I ran hunched over on the side with the stitch... and I just kept going... walking/running... I must have looked a little pathetic... because the ladies who passed by would say, "You can do it"... etc. Which was very nice as well!

I made sure that I stood up straight at the end for the pictures and to make the spectators (when they could see me) think I was in great shape! I smiled and waved!

My time overall was 1:28. I wanted 1:20... but that was darn good considering my run was really bad. I am just happy that I finished in the upper part of the pack... and that my bike portion ROCKED!!! I truly couldn't believe how good of a cyclist I was out there!

So, it was fun... and my boyfriend Jonny was kind and generous for going and supporting! I will post a link to pictures later!

Thanks for reading!

KSH
06-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Here are the pictures:

http://www.sonic-convergence.com/misc/karen/triathlon_athens/

nuthatch
06-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Well done! Say, I don't see any fat in those pictures!!!

Technotart
06-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Yeah - she's a skinny little thing.

Awesome job! Great pics and what an accomplishment!

CorsairMac
06-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Very nice pixs KSH - thanks for sharing!
If it helps: when I get a stitch while running, I found if I A) pinch the side that has the cramp on it and B) breathe thru my stomache, pushing my stomache out as far as possible on the breath in and then pressing my tummy to my backbone on the breath out it helps the cramp. It's usually caused by your diaphragm cramping from not breathing properly. I also use that method the Minute I feel a stitch coming on. (funny, I never got a stitch while riding hmmmmm :rolleyes: )

PS: I Loved the arrows pointing you out in the pack!! Thanks!

KSH
06-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Very nice pixs KSH - thanks for sharing!
If it helps: when I get a stitch while running, I found if I A) pinch the side that has the cramp on it and B) breathe thru my stomache, pushing my stomache out as far as possible on the breath in and then pressing my tummy to my backbone on the breath out it helps the cramp. It's usually caused by your diaphragm cramping from not breathing properly. I also use that method the Minute I feel a stitch coming on. (funny, I never got a stitch while riding hmmmmm :rolleyes: )

PS: I Loved the arrows pointing you out in the pack!! Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I tried to apply pressure on it when I hunched over... but I was sweating so bad, my hand couldn't get a good grip!

Yea, sometimes I can work through a side stitch... but this was beyond manageable! Seriously, my side was still tender in that spot, yesterday! I did a number on that bike ride!

Anyhoo... thanks for all the kind words and responses!

KSH
06-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Well done! Say, I don't see any fat in those pictures!!!

Well... I was mostly mentioning cellulite... and trust me... so many of those women had NONE! I was in AWE!

My upper body is in great shape... it's below the belly button that needs help!

Also... my outfit covered up my *lower belly*. But, by my next tri it will be gone... I am back on a strict low calorie diet (write down everything I eat, and only consume 1700-1900 calories a day... without working out, my body burns 1850 calories a day!).

Yes, I am very picky... because even if I gain 5 lbs all my clothes start fitting tight. I can't even get into my shorts that I bought for this summer!

Oh well, I will be able to wear them very soon!