PDA

View Full Version : 2nd annual 100 miles of Nowhere for Team Fatty

Trek420
04-19-2009, 08:28 AM
OK, this we all can do! No dog sitting to arrange, a leisurely coffee and breakfast, no loading the bike and gear at zero dark thirty, make your own rest stops :D;

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2009/03/30/start-training-now-and-help-me-out-for-the-2nd-annual-fatcyclistcom-100-miles-of-nowhere/

Grog
04-19-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm going crazy thinking about this.

I don't have rollers but I'm thinking about a 4-km loop around the highest point in Vancouver (little mountain in Queen Elizabeth Park) which involves a bit over 250 feet of climbing with every loop. That should cut the guilt of doing it on the road instead of on rollers. It would mean doing 40 loops of that.

There is a fancy restaurant at the top and with some luck I could get them to participate, collecting donations from people who get their car valet-parked.

I might also try to recruit a few more local cyclists. At the very least I should be able to twist my husband's arm. And there are always the 25-mile (10 loops) or 50-mile (20 loops) options for less ambitious folks.

I don't have a lot of time with the end of my Ph.D. being near, but I think I could pull this one.

Others with ideas? Wanting to come ride the Little Mountain Century with me? :)

Trek420
04-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Others with ideas? Wanting to come ride the Little Mountain Century with me? :)

Sounds good! A LBS here hosts spin classes. I'll ask them if they want to host a location with their own SWAG, food etc.

Even if they don't we plan to join in. I'm excited about reading the ride reports here on TE.

txred9876
04-19-2009, 12:21 PM
THis sounds interesting but I would have to do it outside to since I don't have a trainer.

The veloway is 3.2 miles so roughly 31 times around. I am not quite sure I would be up to the 100 miles since the longest I have ridden is 20 but I could probably do one of the other options.

tina

Trek420
04-19-2009, 12:29 PM
There is a 25 mile option. :D 7 times around and SAG the rest? ;)

Pedal Wench
04-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Any excuse for a century! Please post here what date or weekend they decide on. I'm in

Trek420
04-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Here's a preview of the limited edition Twin 6 t-shirt

http://www.fatcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/200904140639.jpg

More info here, still no date.

www.fatcyclist.com

katluvr
04-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Looks very interesting...hmmmmmmmm could I really do 100 miles on my trainer???? It is in the garage and it is starting to get very warm here in Florida!
It is almost the end of April...so when is this??
Next weekend I am doing a MS 150 ride in Florida...so it needs to be soon! Or later!
If someone finds out the date...please post!

Trek420
04-22-2009, 05:50 AM
TBA. Looks like he'll announce in about a week.

And there is a 25, 50 mile option. Of course you can always take the SAG wagon (your couch :p)

Pedal Wench
04-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Woohoo! May 23rd! I'm in!

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2009/04/23/register-now-for-the-100-miles-of-nowhere/#comment-432132

jobob
04-23-2009, 10:19 AM
I love this guy! :D

"As I believe I have mentioned before, one of my most practical superpowers is the ability to ask people to give me stuff without feeling ashamed."

Don't know if I'll be back on my bike by then, but I'll consider it. Maybe I could eeeke out 1 mile or 2.5 miles of nowhere. :rolleyes:

Have I posted about the wonderful bracelet I received recently, made by none other than Susan (Mrs. Fat Cyclist?). If not, here's the post on my blog, with pics:
Thank you so much Susan & Fatty!! (http://callmepokey.blogspot.com/2009/04/thank-you-so-much-susan-fatty.html)

Pedal Wench
04-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Jobob, sign up with a promise to yourself that you'll ride 25 miles in an insanely stupid way as soon as you can! No point missing out on the fundraising part of the fun.

jobob
04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
LOL, I love the way you think! :cool:

Pedal Wench
04-23-2009, 12:44 PM
I learn a lot here :D

susan.wells
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I just signed up. I'll be on a bike tour. I just reviewed my itinerary and we have 63.5 miles planned that day so I'm calling mine 100k of nowhere.

Tri Girl
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
This is the nuttiest thing I've ever heard of. Where do I sign up? No, really, how do I sign up for this? I read the blog entry, but can't see where to sign up. Do I just click on a city, pay the $75 and I'm in?
I will do part outside, part on my trainer. My poor bits couldn't take 7 hours on the trainer, but I sure could throw in about 30, 2 mile loops to keep it interesting (plus, I can switch back and forth from my tri bike to my Bike Friday). ;)
Thanks!

sfa
05-06-2009, 06:27 AM
You're too late, unfortunately. Registration closed on April 30. Maybe next year?

I haven't done a century in years but I signed up for exactly that same reason--it's such a nutty idea that I have to do it!

I can't seem to find my trainer though. I thought it was collecting dust in the basement, but I think I must have given it away at some point, so now I'm looking at doing a short course over and over and over again (but, unfortunately, probably not all at once--can't get away from home for that long).

MomOnBike
05-06-2009, 06:53 AM
I thought about it. I considered riding in small circles in the parking lot across the street. EXCEPT:

1) The lot is closed until the next school year opens. The school it belongs to is undergoing major renovations and the construction guys have taken over.

2) I'm a little over a month out from knee surgery. A century would be pushing it.

3) DH pointed out that I'd be doing under 10 mph in that small lot. A little basic math revealed I'd be there 12 hours or more.

Maybe I'll try next year. I'll be working on the plan until then.

Pedal Wench
05-06-2009, 08:00 AM
This is the nuttiest thing I've ever heard of. Where do I sign up? No, really, how do I sign up for this? I read the blog entry, but can't see where to sign up. Do I just click on a city, pay the $75 and I'm in?
I will do part outside, part on my trainer. My poor bits couldn't take 7 hours on the trainer, but I sure could throw in about 30, 2 mile loops to keep it interesting (plus, I can switch back and forth from my tri bike to my Bike Friday). ;)
Thanks!

Although registration is closed, I would think that in the "thought that counts" vein and spirit of the event, send a $50 donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation, hop on your bike, find a small circle, and go!!!!!

Grog
05-06-2009, 08:06 AM
I had planned to do a 5 km loop 40 times (total 160 km) that would yield 10,000 feet of climbing. My husband signed up too. However he's pointing out that we'll 1) ruin brake pads (not that I care) and 2) possibly put ourselves in danger on that really steep downhill where there are lots of tourists who don't know where they're going.

So we might switch to another route, which is 10 km and will be done 16 times. Only 4,000 ft of climbing!

I'm pretty amazed that 421 people signed up. Talk of a cool event.

jobob
05-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Although registration is closed, I would think that in the "thought that counts" vein and spirit of the event, send a $50 donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation, hop on your bike, find a small circle, and go!!!!!

Once again, I do like the way you think, PW. I thought seriously about signing up (if only to get the great swag ;)) but then I decided against it - I didn't want to jinx my return to cycling. :p

But this is a great idea. And many TE'ers are participating in Livestrong Challenges throughout the country - any little bit helps. Just sayin' :cool:

Pedal Wench
05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Once again, I do like the way you think, PW. I thought seriously about signing up (if only to get the great swag ;)) but then I decided against it - I didn't want to jinx my return to cycling. :p

But this is a great idea. And many TE'ers are participating in Livestrong Challenges throughout the country - any little bit helps. Just sayin' :cool:

;) Thanks, Jo!

Tri Girl
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Bummer- I missed it. :( Oh well, I'll still do it anyway. I'll just send the Livestrong foundation the registration fee and not get any sweet swag (maybe I'll find some stuff laying around my house, put it in a bag and give it to myself). :)

I'll still do it (and I talked a friend into doing it with me) and it'll still be fun. We're going to set our trainers up in my backyard, and alternate riding the trainers and riding a one mile loop in my neighborhood for an hour each. Interval training. :)
Every now and then we'll stop for a nap in the hammock in the shade, and we'll have a bbq afterward. :)

Pedal Wench
05-06-2009, 04:10 PM
TG, you should post on the fatcyclist page that you're still doing it - I think Fatty would be thrilled to know that it's extending beyond the registered riders.

Thrills me, and it's not my ride!

Duck on Wheels
05-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Oh my, what a cool idea. Unfortunately:
1) I missed the sign-up (note to self: must keep up with TE posts!)
2) The date is in my rest week when I'm not supposed to ride at all before the ALC.
3) Not any time left to sell this idea to my spin instructors.
So ... I guess LiveStrong gets $50 from me too, and I pitch this idea to the gym for next year. We could have two options -- either indoors on spin bikes, or outdoors going round and round the little traffic-practice "streets" at the elementary school just up the road from the gym. (I'll send pics when I have a chance to take some.) Sweet. I know I'm not gonna do the ALC again next year, but this'll give me something to train for. :)

Pedal Wench
05-21-2009, 05:36 PM
I got my stuff! I've decided to make a day of it. There was a 300K the same day that I really wanted to do, so I'm gonna try to do a 300K to nowhere. We're riding laps in the parking lot around the local race track. :) If I can keep my sanity, I'll aim for a full double century, but not sure about that.

Pedal Wench
05-23-2009, 06:00 PM
110 miles - 2.2-mile laps around the Atlanta Motor Speedway. Rain, irritating shorts, bad winds, and I thought that 110 miles was more than enough!

Jaclyn
05-23-2009, 07:45 PM
My DH and I set up our tandem on the trainer (no resistance!) at a local park. We wore our full Team Fatty kit (jerseys, socks, water bottles) and had placards, handouts about Lance Armstrong Foundation and Team Fatty, and fund raising cards. We covered the first 33 miles very fast (no resistance - and at our quick rest stop discovered that we had a flat rear tire which had made it really easy). By mile 100 we felt the way we normally feel at the end of a century (where's the beer?).

I'm pretty sure we won the tandem division ...Fatty pretty much guaranteed that all participants could declare themselves the winners of some division or other. We are fighting cancer and will be riding with Team Fatty in Austin.

Win Susan!

jobob
05-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Very well done PW! :cool:

And you too (two?) Jacklyn! :cool: :cool:

Grog
05-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow, what a ride! I told people about your tandem ride on the trainer today and everybody was impressed.

For us, the goal was to do about 40 laps of a 4 km very hilly course around a local park.

Things turned out a bit differently for me. I had to work almost a full night twice this week, including last night, so I knew I was not going to do 160 km (100 miles). Nevertheless we started this morning on our short course. My husband - who was determined to do the whole 160 km - was there at 7 a.m. and I joined him around 9 a.m. Part of the road we wanted to use was shut down due to a police operation (welcome to Vancouver) but it was good to us because it reduced possible conflicts with cars. And we had a police-woman who was otherwise protecting the crime scene cheering for us.

We had a few friends and my father in law join us during the ride. My husband had ridden about 80 km and me about 50 when traffic became heavy on our short course, and the friends were a bit tired of riding around in a circle. So we "cheated." By then I had decided I'd go for 50 miles. We went for a bit of a ride elsewhere (Iona Beach for those who know Vancouver). After that, my husband still had to put in about 35 more km so he went his own way.

On my way home, I hit the 50-mile mark exactly - I mean EXACTLY - as I rolled in front of the Cancer Research Agency, which I thought was appropriate.

I'm happy I did it, but now I'm really, really tired. Zzzz!

Anyone received their package yet?

Pedal Wench
05-24-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm happy I did it, but now I'm really, really tired. Zzzz!

Anyone received their package yet?

I did! And of course, changed into the tee-shirt after my ride for the drive home. :)

Now, go get some rest!

sfa
05-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I did the 100 kilometers of nowhere on Saturday--around and around and around a quarter mile track at the local high school. Geez, that was mind numbingly boring!!! And I'm going to get a big ol' DNF too because I miscalculated the distance home and ended up three tenths of a mile short of 100 kilometers. :p I would have kept going to hit the mark perfectly, but there were people waiting for me to arrive home and I was running late! Originally I had planned on just 50 miles, but I thought I could finish up 62 miles in time to get home.

I'm glad that's over. Next year I'm doing it on a trainer with something good to watch on t.v.!

Sarah