PDA

View Full Version : under your shorts>>>

cyclingtosydney
06-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Hi everybody!

Im just wondering what you wear under your cycling shorts?

my sister and I are about to go on a trip where we will be riding everyday. I have bought some padded cycling shorts (before i just wore jeans or whatever was around and normal underwear)

Thanks a lot! this is a great forum

kira :eek:

CorsairMac
06-17-2005, 09:02 AM
I don't wear anything under my shorts. I figure that nice big ol piece of chamois is gonna work just as well as undies and I can't even imagine all that elastic over the course of a ride! The shorts are designed to be worn a la naturale!

PS: if you get a chance there's a thread under the open titled "getting to know you"......gives you some laughs while getting to know us, and if you're so inclined tell us more about you - and this trip!!! :D

DeniseGoldberg
06-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Me too - I'm a shorts only gal, nothing underneath!

SadieKate
06-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Commando! That chamois is designed to wick and not chafe and be comfy. You don't want any seams or elastic or 'nothin between you and your chamois. OK, a little Chamois Butt'r if necessary but that's it.

spazzdog
06-17-2005, 11:07 AM
As Brooke once said about her Calvins "nothing comes between me and my cycling shorts"

Nekkid as the day I was born under that lycra :eek:

spazz

newbiechick
06-17-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm brand new to cycling ... When I was getting dressed for my very first ride I started to put my shorts on over my underwear ... my fiance caught me and explained that anything under there would only increase the chances of chafing and other undesirable experiences. So I'm definitely a shorts-only gal. I expected it to be somewhat uncomfortable but I've been pleased to find that's not the case at all.

singletrackmind
06-17-2005, 12:05 PM
My big blindingly white fanny!

1) Wearing underwear partially negates the reason you get seamless chamois in the first place
2) No attack of the Undie lines!
3) Freedom!!! :D (Ok, I'm just making that last one up).

RoadRaven
06-17-2005, 12:14 PM
If you wear knickers under your chamois shorts, you'll find they bunch up and chafe and rub
Wear nothing and just make sure you get out of them asap after a ride and wash and dry them well
Avoid wearing them two rides in a row without a wash whenever possible
Lots of discussion here about creams, cremes, butters etc to make things more comfortable, and also about seat height and position too

Your tour sounds super, keep us posted!
:)
R

Dianyla
06-17-2005, 02:25 PM
The only thing under my shorts is chamois cream (currently I use Burt's Bees Coconut Foot Creme for this purpose) and occasionally my Mooncup (http://www.mooncup.co.uk). :)

MomOnBike
06-17-2005, 04:54 PM
What should you wear under your shorts?

Your socks!

:D

(lifted from an ancient joke about a man and his kilt)

SadieKate
06-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Don't forget your spurtle (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2695&highlight=spurtle)!

cyclingtosydney
06-18-2005, 03:41 AM
Hi,

thanks for all your help! I would definitely have learnt the hard way without this forum!

I guess we will just have to wash shorts every day then... although we are taking 2 pairs each. and also some chamois pants

so no-one at all wears pants under their shorts? or a liner?

13 days to go!

Thanks for your help! kira :rolleyes:

nuthatch
06-18-2005, 03:54 AM
Don't forget your spurtle (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2695&highlight=spurtle)!

I'm definitely not carrying my spurtle under my kilt... umm, shorts! And no undies either - when you need to duck behind a bush out there on the road, no sense wrestling with shorts and a pair of undies!

Irulan
06-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi,

thanks for all your help! I would definitely have learnt the hard way without this forum!

I guess we will just have to wash shorts every day then... although we are taking 2 pairs each. and also some chamois pants

so no-one at all wears pants under their shorts? or a liner?

13 days to go!

Thanks for your help! kira :rolleyes:

a pantiliner with shorts? Now,that sounds life a chafe-o-rama. The thinking is that there is a reason everything is washable, and that shorts are black. Seriously.

Irulan

DeniseGoldberg
06-18-2005, 09:11 AM
...I guess we will just have to wash shorts every day then... although we are taking 2 pairs each. and also some chamois pants

Definitely nothing under the shorts, and definitely wash them every day. You should also be prepared to replace them occasionally. I started my own across the USA (http://denise2002xc.crazyguyonabike.com) trip with two pairs of new shorts. By the time I reached Colorado I noticed that they had worn quite a bit, and the fabric was becoming very thin. So I bought 2 new pairs of shorts and tossed the old worn ones.

--- Denise

RoadRaven
06-18-2005, 12:39 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!

Wearing a spurltle under my shorts
Now that would be #%&*(*&(!@!$&^ uncomfortable

Nope, my spurtles (I have two brought back from Scotland be travelling friends) stays in the kitchen for my porridge

bounceswoosh
06-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Im just wondering what you wear under your cycling shorts?

Absolutely nothing!

It felt weird at first, but now it's just normal to me. And you'll appreciate it when you can't find a restroom and have to pee; just find a tree to hide behind, drop trow, do your thing, then pull up your shorts and go. Trust in the chamois. (Yes, it sounds gross, but I've heard that sweat and urine are actually very close in composition.)

Technotart
06-19-2005, 01:11 PM
and since the chamois does such a great job of wicking all the moisture away from your body, I'm sure it doesn't care what kind it is!

Ya can't have TP everywhere ya go. Elastic chafes. Some chamois are antibacterial. (Some folks have problems with the chemicals they use on the anti-bacterial type, if you suspect you might, avoid the antibacterial ones)

To make sure the shorts stay really clean in that area, I always pretreat mine with an enzyme type laundry pre-wash in the chamois area - shout or wisk or some other such thing. That will take care of any remaning bacteria, sweat, and/or odors. Just a fact of life. There are a lot of eppocrine glands in that area which is partly why the chamois is necessary in the first place. If we had the same kind of skin and glands there that we have on say our arms and legs, we would need the chamois for chafing but not so much for wicking.