PDA

View Full Version : Stp 2005

Hill Slug
06-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Hello Women....Anyone else besides myself and Bike Goddess doing STP this year???? I just got my registration confirmation in the mail, and I'm really excited about getting this ride done.... :D

Dianyla
06-16-2005, 06:18 PM
*waving* Ooh, Me! Me! :p

I was originally training to do it in 2 days, but then the Budget Fairy came to visit my department at work and now I'm scheduled for a training class. In Chicago. On The Monday After. :eek:

So now I've decided to go for it in one day. I'm not very fast but I'm pretty sure I can maintain a solid 14.5/15 average speed, so if I start as early as possible and don't take any long breaks I will just barely make it before the time cutoff.

My training partner is lurking around here, maybe this'll draw her out of the woodwork... :rolleyes:

Hill Slug
06-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Alright!!! I just heard from a friend in St Helens that there's going to probably be some rock concert there on that Sunday. So....there will be a bunch of cars in addition to cyclists on Sunday. But, since you are going to do it in one day, you should be good....

MM_QFC!
06-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Re: the Sunday concert in St. Helen's: even if there is additional car traffic, you'll have a good shoulder pretty much from the Longview Bridge into Portland on Hwy 30, so there shouldn't be any mishaps for those drivers and riders who obey the rules of the road and are safety-minded.

Besides, you want to hope that you get that sweet tailwind on Hwy 30 (instead of the headwinds that have been more prevalent in recent years), so that it provides a much-appreciated push along the grade and into the finish.

The St. Helen's rest stop (last official stop) is about 30 miles from Holladay Park/finish line and I think that it closes around 7-7:30 or so, and the finish line (where they hand out the 1-day rider patches) and shower trucks supposedly close at 9PM, but I've been in the nearby beer garden :D on Saturday evenings and have seen the STP volunteers at the finish line quite a bit later, as riders keep coming in pretty late. Be aware of what'll you'll need to ride in the dark though; don't do it without lights and reflective clothing - too dangerous! 2 years in a row, I heard about riders being loaded into aid cars on stretchers @ 10PM, after being hit by cars. The STP committee said that in each case, the riders had no lights, no reflective items and didn't make themselves visible to drivers. They also could've been tired and swerving or riding erratically at that time too...makes a very dangerous mix. Just be careful out there, ladies and plan for whatever you might face, ok?!

Hill Slug
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up MM!!!

I'll pass the info on to other fellow riders!