PDA

View Full Version : winter weight, summer weight

redrhodie
04-12-2009, 04:31 AM
I've always gained 5+lbs in winter, so this year I decided to up my winter riding and see what happens. Well, I still gained 5lbs (at least it wasn't close to 10 like last year). I rode slightly less than I do in the warmer months, but this January I got a trainer because we had snow/ice for the entire month, so I didn't ride THAT much less. I watched what I ate, consumed less calories than I do in summer, and still gained 5lbs.

Now, it's DST, and I've started commuting to work, and the lbs are dropping, just like always at this time of the year. I'm wondering if it's not the amount of miles I'm riding that keeps my weight in check, but the 2 rides per day. I'm actually doing slightly less miles due to a hectic schedule right now.

Could it be that I'm boosting my metabolism by the second ride/day, even though it's not as much time in the saddle?

I should add, even at my winter weight, I'm within normal weight range. I just can't wear a certain pair of jeans :rolleyes: and breathe!

Biciclista
04-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Red, I can't answer your question, but I'm like you. What I notice is that my belly flattens in the summer time, and yes, that certain pair of jeans. It really motivates me to continue commuting.

OakLeaf
04-12-2009, 07:54 AM
For me, it's the sunlight. There have been studies that document that sunlight is really important to metabolism (and most body systems). Until I became a snowbird, I always weight over the winter and lost it soon after the spring equinox, and back then all my workouts were indoors with no seasonal variation at all.

redrhodie
04-13-2009, 03:35 AM
For me, it's the sunlight. There have been studies that document that sunlight is really important to metabolism (and most body systems). Until I became a snowbird, I always weight over the winter and lost it soon after the spring equinox, and back then all my workouts were indoors with no seasonal variation at all.

That's really interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Not much I can do to make more sun in winter (other than move south, which isn't happening).

I dunno, maybe it's just supposed to happen, and I should accept that I have winter jeans, summer jeans. Of course, the jeans that get too tight are the heavier weight ones that I'd prefer in cold weather.

tzvia
04-13-2009, 06:37 AM
I've been on a...well, not a diet, but weight-loss thingy (call it a diet and I will fail ;)) over the winter. Out here, it gets colder, from the 100s down to the 60s and 70s during the winter and it is great riding weather with very few rainy days. For the first time, I wore a HRM through the winter rides. Well, my calorie counts on the same loop went down with the temperature. Couldn't figure why till I realized that my body has to work harder in the heat to try and cool myself during the rides. I was riding around dragging two full waterbotles because I was not under the extra heat stress, and burning less calories.

Now if you are indoors, in a nice cool room on a trainer, and not outside in the sun and dealing with the warmth too, that might be a factor. You are also not dealing with things like headwind and hills. I have found my Heart rate monitor to be invaluable in determining just what my body is really doing. Oh, and I use only daylight balanced bulbs in the house; can't quote any scientific evidence but the light is much less stressful on my eyes than those orange tinted bulbs.

limewave
04-13-2009, 11:41 AM
I've wondered the same thing about twice-a-day workouts and my metabolism. I can't ride my bike to work, it's a 60+ mile commute. I wish I could!

Normally I do one 45-90 minute workout a day, 6 days a week. But most of my day is spent sitting at a desk. I wonder what kind of stress that puts on my body to be sedentary for 23 hours then suddenly do an intense workout for 60 minutes?

I've been so busy lately, I've had to break-up my working out into two 20-40 minute workouts, one in the AM and one in the late afternoon. I seem to have more energy throughout the day . . .

I can't tell you how its affecting my weight right now as I'm 8 months pregnant and as large as a boat.

indysteel
04-13-2009, 12:08 PM
I've been on a...well, not a diet, but weight-loss thingy (call it a diet and I will fail ;)) over the winter. Out here, it gets colder, from the 100s down to the 60s and 70s during the winter and it is great riding weather with very few rainy days. For the first time, I wore a HRM through the winter rides. Well, my calorie counts on the same loop went down with the temperature. Couldn't figure why till I realized that my body has to work harder in the heat to try and cool myself during the rides. I was riding around dragging two full waterbotles because I was not under the extra heat stress, and burning less calories.

Now if you are indoors, in a nice cool room on a trainer, and not outside in the sun and dealing with the warmth too, that might be a factor. You are also not dealing with things like headwind and hills. I have found my Heart rate monitor to be invaluable in determining just what my body is really doing. Oh, and I use only daylight balanced bulbs in the house; can't quote any scientific evidence but the light is much less stressful on my eyes than those orange tinted bulbs.

Sixty to seventy degrees? I don't think you should be allowed to use the term "winter." :p

My weight goes up a bit during most winters. I assume it's partly a function of less exercise, more hibernating, and more food. I ran last year on top of my usual routine of spinning and yoga and didn't pack on as much weight. I was also way ahead aerobically when cycling started, too. This year, I was much less diligent about my workouts for a variety of reasons, and the scale shows it. Plus, the weather turned nasty particularly early this year (early November versus early January), and it was really hard for me to stay motivated.

redrhodie
04-14-2009, 03:32 AM
Another thought....my regular rides are usually over 2 hours, so I eat something like dried apricots or figs. My commute one way is just 15-18 miles (around 1 hour) so I don't eat anything during the ride.

Maybe it's the food on the bike? I don't eat a lot, but probably it's 200 calories that I don't eat on the days I commute.

Crankin
04-14-2009, 04:57 AM
I find the same thing, despite the fact I get outside as much as I can in the winter; hiking, snow shoeing, x country skiing. This is in addition to yoga, spinning/trainer. This year, I began running in January. Sometimes inside, sometimes out. My weight still went up.
When I first started cycling, I had a hard time keeping my weight up. Now it seems I gain after a ride. I am really watching what I drink/eat on the bike, but on long or hilly rides, I need more than water and sometimes only carbs make me feel better. I am trying to pre-hydrate and that helps.
Right now, I am adjusting to my "season" fitness routine. I am hoping that the addition of running 2-3x a week will keep the weight down. I also just have to watch what I eat a lot more. If I forgo the wine a couple of times week and watch the carbs (even whole wheat) I am fine. But sometimes, it gets me crazy. I know I am still thin and in an OK weight range, but what if I didn't exercise like I do? I have overweight people on both sides of my family; if I didn't work out like I do, I would gain in a minute.

Miranda
04-14-2009, 05:09 AM
I think you are burning off the extra calories you eat when you go for the longer ride. So, I don't think that is it. I think it's the two short rides are like interval work. Which, I had leveled off my weight and never thought I would see anything lower. When I added those short burst of intervals, it fell right off!

I assume you are probably really hussling it when you are commuting it to work. Trying to be on time to your employer etc. (not saying that moving at a snails pace by any means on the longer rides, btw, I'm sure). It's those short sustained bursts that just fry off that extra bit of fat.

I think the split in the time of day just re-kick-starts your metabolism again from the morning ride. It all plays together, IMHO.

Good for you on the jeans, btw:cool:.

Norse
04-14-2009, 07:08 AM
I think the long distance outdoors rides just burn more fat and calories than the indoor interval training. I too put on 5 lbs every winter and by August, my tummy looks better, my pants fit better (sometimes, they are too loose!) and the 5 lbs are gone, until about January anyway.:rolleyes:

GLC1968
04-14-2009, 08:30 AM
It might have something to do with the quality of your diet, too. In the summer, people tend to eat fresher foods, higher fiber things, lighter items. In the winter, hearty soups and richer foods (plus veggies that aren't as fresh) might affect the difference you are seeing.

Also, when you ride during the winter might matter. There are studies that show that some people burn more calories with early morning workouts and others that show some people do better in the afternoon/evening. If your winter workouts are after work, perhaps you are a morning person and actually burn more then? Or vise versa - if you workout before work in the winter, perhaps your summer afternoon rides are the ones that rev your metbolism a bit higher.

redrhodie
04-15-2009, 05:08 AM
I think it is like intervals. I don't rush to get to work (I work for my best friend, in her home, and I'm usually the only one awake when I get there!) but I do sometimes push it on the way back. I noticed this week I'm less hungry at dinner time. Maybe I am eating less, but not really trying to.

I think next winter I'll keep commuting. I've been afraid of night traffic, but I'm more confident this year, especially going through the one 3 lane intersection that's been my main night concern. I also disccovered, if I time it just right, I can miss most of the college student traffic.

Limewave, are you riding at all at this point??? Bear is coming SOON! Hope you're feeling great!

sundial
04-15-2009, 05:13 AM
There have been studies that document that sunlight is really important to metabolism (and most body systems).

You know, I wondered about that. My tummy is flatter in the summer and one winter when I rode almost daily on the trail or road, I didn't get that flat tummy. :confused: So sunlight must do a lot more for us than we know.

lph
04-15-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm usually most fit in spring, before it starts getting hot and before the summer holidays. Exercise is part of my daily routine and sunlight keeps me outdoors and active for longer. I love summer, but I have a hard time staying as active when it's hot out before I've even crawled out from under the covers, and I'm in holiday mode (ooh! icecream! yay, they sell waffles at the beach here! oh sure, let's have a beer with dinner.)