PDA

View Full Version : WABA Bike Swaps

7rider
04-02-2009, 07:07 AM
I plan to be at the April 11 one with clothes (jerseys, jackets, tights) and gear (rack, packs). Hope to see folks there.

Upcoming WABA Bike Swaps (http://www.waba.org/events/bikeandgearswaps.php)

Come buy, sell, or donate bicycles (or gear and clothing) at the WABA Bike and Gear Swap! Bike sales benefit the seller (90%) and WABA’s efforts (10%) on behalf of cycling in the Washington area; donations benefit the donor (a good feeling as wellas areceipt good for tax purposes) and Bikes for the World providing jobs and access to school and health services here and overseas. In either case, your bike goes to good use. The Bike and Gear Swaps are hosted by The Bicycle Place (behind the shop) at 8313 Grubb Rd., Silver Spring, MD.

When: the swaps run from 9am to 1pm

Saturday, April 11, 2009
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Saturday, September 12, 2009
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Got surplus bike gear or clothing? Bring them too but bring your own table or blanket for display.

TO BUY:

just show up between 9 am and 1 pm.
Volunteers at the Swaps help people find the bikes that work for them, and may make minor mechanical adjustments ensuring safe use.

TO SELL:

you have three options (10% of the sales price benefits WABA):
In person: Bring your bike or gear to the Swap– just return for your money less commission or unsold bike by 1 pm.

Early drop off:

Bring your bike by BP beginning the Tuesday before the Swap and fill out the consignment agreement, and stop by the Swap by 1 pm for your money or unsold bike.

Donate if it doesn’t sell:

Either drop off early or day of Swap, fill out the consignment form initialing donate option, fill out a self-addressed envelope, and provide a check for $11 for BftW donation plus $1 for handling. If your bike sells, we send you your money less commission and return your check. If your bike doesn’t sell, we send you a receipt.

Sale bikes not claimed by 1 pm are considered donations.

TO DONATE:

Bring the bike by BP beginning the Tuesday before the Swap, or to the Swap itself. We ask for a $10 donation to help cover shipping the bike to a Third World

ASammy1
04-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Hmmm wish I was closer.

HillSlugger
04-03-2009, 06:17 AM
I've accumulated a bunch of parts that I need to sell. This is an option I'll consider.

Possegal
04-03-2009, 07:22 AM
My niece has a bike she's looking to sell. I just sent her this information. Her mother bought her this nice new bike 2 summers ago when she mentioned wanting to ride with me to help me train for livestrong and an intent to ride it herself in 2008. She asked her mother to bring her old 10 sp, good as any to ride with me and keep me company. It was so sweet of her to buy this new one, but it is this huge comfort bike. No way could she climb many hills with it. :) So last summer we went out and bought her a Jamis and now she'd like to get a little money for the other one. This may be a good way to try and sell it. I've told her to think about craigslist too. Can't hurt. It's a lovely bike, just not what she needs.

I'll have to go check things out for myself as well. :)

Cataboo
04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
My spare parts drawer is getting a little full. I should do this, but if it's a nice day I'll probably be itching to do something else.

7rider
04-03-2009, 09:07 AM
My spare parts drawer is getting a little full. I should do this, but if it's a nice day I'll probably be itching to do something else.

I've missed that past several swaps on account of nice weather! :o The Saturday morning group ride is 7:30 to 10:30, so I don't often get a chance to do this. But....I promised myself I would do this. If it's nice, I throw the bike in the back of the truck with anything I want to sell, and then after the swap (or after I give up and pack up), I'll pull the bike out and go for a ride through Rock Creek Park.

Selkie
04-03-2009, 09:09 AM
It's supposed to be very windy Saturday, if that makes a difference in terms of your outdoor plans!

7rider
04-03-2009, 09:16 AM
It's supposed to be very windy Saturday, if that makes a difference in terms of your outdoor plans!

The swap is NEXT saturday (the 11th). But yeah, it may color my decision on where and when to ride.

Cataboo
04-03-2009, 11:02 AM

It means the kites will come out to play tomorrow, and I won't use a deep dish front wheel if I bike.

I just replaced 2 sets of handlebars - so that problem brings my count of old handlebars to 80 or something. (okay, maybe 8). I could probably stand to do away with a few.

HillSlugger
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
It means the kites will come out to play tomorrow, and I won't use a deep dish front wheel if I bike.

I just replaced 2 sets of handlebars - so that problem brings my count of old handlebars to 80 or something. (okay, maybe 8). I could probably stand to do away with a few.

I think I have one drop bar and two flats. I must have at least 3 extra saddles! Some stems, some seatposts, some cranks, some...

Cataboo
04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I've been eying this guy's listing on craigslist, he's selling a bunch of pieces cheap:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/1104899294.html

But I don't want to drive to Alexandria.

Do any of your flat bars have risers on them? I've been looking for a higher riser flat bar.

I have a couple sets of longer cranks that I've swapped out for 165's, probably about 5 drop bars, 1 mustache style bar. A couple of terry saddles that didn't work. I seem to accumulate front derailleurs & rear derailleurs, so I've got 4 or 5 of those. Seatposts I have, but I tend to just keep them around. I have a plethora of stems.

HillSlugger
04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I've been eying this guy's listing on craigslist, he's selling a bunch of pieces cheap:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/1104899294.html

But I don't want to drive to Alexandria.

Do any of your flat bars have risers on them? I've been looking for a higher riser flat bar.

I have a couple sets of longer cranks that I've swapped out for 165's, probably about 5 drop bars, 1 mustache style bar. A couple of terry saddles that didn't work. I seem to accumulate front derailleurs & rear derailleurs, so I've got 4 or 5 of those. Seatposts I have, but I tend to just keep them around. I have a plethora of stems.

I've switched all my bikes to 172.5 cranks. It's hard to believe that 2.5mm really matters that much.

I think at least one of the bars has some rise. How much are you looking for?

Any chance you have a 27.2 seatpost with zero setback?

Cataboo
04-03-2009, 03:48 PM
I've switched all my bikes to 172.5 cranks. It's hard to believe that 2.5mm really matters that much.

I think at least one of the bars has some rise. How much are you looking for?

Any chance you have a 27.2 seatpost with zero setback?

I can't believe you have 172.5 cranks. My knees only like 165's and you're not that much taller than me.

I've got a 16 degree 120 mm stem on my surly - so any rise is better than the no rise that's on it now.

I have 2 - 0 degree setback seatposts - but they're not especially nice & they're not carbon. One's a felt aluminum one - one bolt in the front & one in the back to adjust it. The second is a titec knock rated one that is a bit on the heavy side, but has never been used.

HillSlugger
04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I can't believe you have 172.5 cranks. My knees only like 165's and you're not that much taller than me.

I've got a 16 degree 120 mm stem on my surly - so any rise is better than the no rise that's on it now.

I have 2 - 0 degree setback seatposts - but they're not especially nice & they're not carbon. One's a felt aluminum one - one bolt in the front & one in the back to adjust it. The second is a titec knock rated one that is a bit on the heavy side, but has never been used.

Doesn't need to be carbon, but nice alloy (black), fairly light would be preferred.

I've got a 25.4 bar with about a 20mm rise, 24 inch width.

Cataboo
04-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I just weighed the felt - it's 8 ounces about, I don't think that's very light. But you're welcome to have it till you find something lighter.

I'll go eyeball what 20mm rise translates into.

HillSlugger
04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Catriona, I just found another bar: it's a Ritchey Extreme Conditions, 25 inches end to end, has something like a 40mm rise.

Cataboo
04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
That actually sounds like it would work great. How much did you want for them? Will you be at the WABA bike swap?

I seriously need to stop buying bikes or parts.

HillSlugger
04-06-2009, 10:01 AM
That actually sounds like it would work great. How much did you want for them? Will you be at the WABA bike swap?

I seriously need to stop buying bikes or parts.

I think I paid less that $20 for it. Is $10 acceptable? When/where can we meet?

I'm not yet sure I'll attend the swap meet.

Cataboo
04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
$10's great. You're on Bethesda's campus, right? I've gotta be down there on the 23rd & 24th for a conference at Natcher, & on the 24th I'll be over in building 10 around Noon. There's another meeting on the 27th that I need to be down there for.

If you decide you're going to be at the swap meet, I can try meeting you there. I need to sell some stuff, but since I kinda accidently bought a litespeed road bike on Sunday - I think I need to wait till that arrives, and see whether I'm going to end up needing some of the things that I was planning on selling for it, to make it fit me right.

And I'm never buying a bike again. I swear.

HillSlugger
04-06-2009, 10:45 AM
$10's great. You're on Bethesda's campus, right? I've gotta be down there on the 23rd & 24th for a conference at Natcher, & on the 24th I'll be over in building 10 around Noon. There's another meeting on the 27th that I need to be down there for.

If you decide you're going to be at the swap meet, I can try meeting you there. I need to sell some stuff, but since I kinda accidently bought a litespeed road bike on Sunday - I think I need to wait till that arrives, and see whether I'm going to end up needing some of the things that I was planning on selling for it, to make it fit me right.

And I'm never buying a bike again. I swear.
Kinda accidentally bought a Litespeed?!? That's the kind of accident I'd like to have. What kind of bike? Pictures?

Anyhoo, I'm not on the main campus; I'm about 15 minutes north in Rockville. Do you know what your schedule will be? Maybe we can arrange to meet somewhere.

Cataboo
04-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Let me look at the conference schedule - definitely I can meet you after it ends in the afternoon, but if there's a session I'm not really bothered about listening to, I can pop up to Rockville and meet you.

I bought a 2005 litespeed teramo:

http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/2005/teramo.aspx

As I was ogling it drooling swithering about having to pay my taxes and mortgage and... the boyfriend pulled out his credit card & handed it to me. And I decided the best way ever to buy a bike is to have someone else pay for it.

I'll take pics when it arrives and I'm sure it fits and all of that. And I'll probably end up switching out the cranks, the seat, handlebars and the stem.

And then I have to decide whether I can really actually keep 3 road bikes. Two road bikes, 1 commuter bike, and 1 mountain bike I can kinda justify - 3 road bikes starting to stretch things, since I have exactly 1 bum.

I'm half irked 'cause I just put new handlebars on my marin on Friday night, put nice new bling tape on them, and then put the nice carbon bars I took off my bike on my bf's litespeed and wrapped them. If I'd known I was going to be accidently buying a litespeed, I possibly would not made those swaps. But given that he just bought me a bike, I think I will refrain from begrudging him the handlebars I gave him.

Here's my shiny silver tape on my fsa k-wing bars though:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qnxyEZuNEmk/SdayNkaEBMI/AAAAAAAAFXs/OFWeNeapQaI/s400/IMGP8294.jpg

7rider
04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
You two are pretty funny.

And I decided the best way ever to buy a bike is to have someone else pay for it.

And then I have to decide whether I can really actually keep 3 road bikes. Two road bikes, 1 commuter bike, and 1 mountain bike I can kinda justify - 3 road bikes starting to stretch things, since I have exactly 1 bum.

Nice! Always nice to have ti in your back pocket...so to speak.

Your stable resembles mine (2 road, 1 commuter, 1 mtb...but I'll see your stable and add a beach cruiser, just for giggles).

Topic for a new thread: TE road ride....

Cataboo
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
ha. My bf's waiting for the bike not to fit me and for him to have 2 litespeed road bikes.

The first carbon frame I bought, they labelled a 49 cm in the auction, despite it having a sticker saying 52 cms on the frame when it actually arrived.

So guess who got that frame?

Then I bought a litespeed mountain bike off craigslist... which we thought would fit if we swapped out the fork to a smaller one - but it didn't, so he got the litespeed & I got his titanium frame as my bike.

You do have me beat! You have a better stable and a beach cruiser.

I could go to my Mom's and see if my old costco motiv brand bike is still there...

madscot13
04-07-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm doing an REI bike maintenance class this saturday. hopefully I can make it out to the next one.

7rider
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Since I melt in the rain, I am not inclined to try to sell jerseys and whatnots this Saturday if it's raining. This seems to be my ongoing dilemma regarding these swaps.....
1. It's beautiful out...I wanna go for a ride, not sit in a parking lot and try to sell jerseys.
or
2. It's raining out...I'm not gonna sit in a parking lot and try to sell jerseys.
:rolleyes:

Cataboo
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
bah. Rain.

My litespeed doesn't come till Monday either.

And I can't decide what color handlebar tape she's gonna get.

Life is tough.

HillSlugger
04-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I think I'm gonna plan to skip it. I will post my stuff for sale here, on Beginner Triathlete, and probably on Craigs List. But I'll be holding out those bars for Catriona.

7rider
04-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Well.
Looks like I might be going after all. Got plans to ride at 1 w/ folks from the shop.
Look for me there.
I'll have men's and women's jerseys (ss and sleeveless, maybe ls, too; size L, good to very good condition (I just have tooooo many!)), a few light jackets, tights (non-chamois), wind pants, and various pieces parts. All priced to MOVE!

Cataboo
04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I think I'm skipping it, having friends over instead. I should be out riding now, but I'm cleaning instead.

blech.

thanks for holding the bars for me, Mdhill

madscot13
04-11-2009, 03:15 PM
what did I miss?

Zen
04-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Can I have your box when you leave? I want to see what my accordion sounds like in there.

madscot13
04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Can I have your box when you leave? I want to see what my accordion sounds like in there.

I'm afraid you are going to have to get your own box monster.

7rider
04-11-2009, 06:25 PM
what did I miss?

Lots of cold rain.

Actually, I was surprised anyone was there, but there were. I parked my Escape next to my friend's van, and he and I managed to sell a few things right out of the back of our vehicles. I sold DH's old saddle and some odds-n-ends (gloves, lights, clothes). He sold a used Campy 10-spd gruppo. There were a few bikes - a woman showed up with a really nice Lemond Poprad (too small, drat!) and her SO's Bianchi Cross Concept (my size, but way too much bike for what I needed), and a Kona Unit rigid SS (I was afraid to even try). But the rain and lack of buyers kept her from closing any deals. She will likely return in May if the weather is better. From my point of view - it turned out better than I anticipated, despite the rain. WABA folks were generally pleased and Bikes for the World got a few donations (including a guy who donated a mtb with the fork mountain backwards! :eek:).

We never did get out to ride, however. But we did visit the folks at the shop for a warming shot of espresso.

Cataboo
04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Litespeed came & it fits great. Geometry wise it's pretty much almost identical to my carbon bike. The saddle even seems to be usable, but I'll still swap it out. It doesn't look like it was ridden much at all looking at the cogs & cranks, but does have scratches that seem more storage related (stickers where a bike rack would hold it).

I hate the handlebars, but I knew that & will swap those. With the heavy saddle that it came with, it comes in under 16 lbs.

I only got out for a few miles on it tonight before it got dark & started raining - but so far seems very fast, responsive & lively. Oh, and I hate the handlebars.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BTaSD6AsAt8/SeQEU7NssSI/AAAAAAAATD0/FhSGhBR4EjA/s720/IMGP9189.jpg

I'm thinking i can skip the flame stickers on this one, but it does need blinger handelbar tape.

madscot13
04-13-2009, 08:58 PM
i hate the handlebars too.

Cataboo
04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
i hate the handlebars too.

seriously. They need to go.

7rider
04-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Well, it looks darned sweet.....crappy handlebars not withstanding.
I like the understated black tape. But then, that's from me with 2 unpainted ti and black bikes. :rolleyes:
What's the component group? Is that a compact crank?

HillSlugger
04-14-2009, 05:30 AM
mmmm...Ti...drool...

Cataboo
04-14-2009, 06:09 AM
I think the handlebars were slightly angled up which had me bending back my wrists on the drops which contributed to the hate the handlebars - but they're just thin and didn't have any of the usual padding that I have on my bars (my wrists suck)

The components are 10 speed ultegra, the cranks are compacts. I might end up switching out the cranks, but I'm going to try to ride them and see how I do.

If I have bling on my handlebars, it distracts people from how slow I am (look... something shiny) and how much I need to grow into the bike.

The weather gods hate me. It's only raining to frustrate me when I have a bike I really want to ride.

HillSlugger
04-14-2009, 06:49 AM
I think the handlebars were slightly angled up which had me bending back my wrists on the drops which contributed to the hate the handlebars - but they're just thin and didn't have any of the usual padding that I have on my bars (my wrists suck)

The components are 10 speed ultegra, the cranks are compacts. I might end up switching out the cranks, but I'm going to try to ride them and see how I do.

If I have bling on my handlebars, it distracts people from how slow I am (look... something shiny) and how much I need to grow into the bike.

The weather gods hate me. It's only raining to frustrate me when I have a bike I really want to ride.
It's all about you, isn't it? ;) :rolleyes:

Cataboo
04-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Yes. The universe is against me. ;)

I could of course put on a rain jacket & ride it in the rain.. but if I crashed it, I'd cry.

7rider
04-14-2009, 07:18 AM

I could of course put on a rain jacket & ride it in the rain.. but if I crashed it, I'd cry.

It's ti.
What are you going to do to it??

HillSlugger
04-14-2009, 07:19 AM

At least it won't rust ;)

Cataboo
04-14-2009, 07:27 AM
You guys forget my ability to crash a commuter and dent a rear wheel. I'm pretty sure it didn't even bang into anything.

But I'll probably not be able to resist riding it.

7rider
04-14-2009, 07:33 AM
You guys forget my ability to crash a commuter and dent a rear wheel. I'm pretty sure it didn't even bang into anything.

Well...that would give you the opportunity to add your bling with a new set of fancy hoops for it!

Cataboo
04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
heh. I had just bought a pair of fancy wheels for my marin prior to accidently buying this...

So those'll probably transfer over to the litespeed.

I think I'm going to have to accept that I gotta sell the marin, but I don't wanna.

Cataboo
04-14-2009, 01:04 PM
7, just in case you sold this lady a singlet:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/bik/1122405113.html

madscot13
04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
that is kind of funny but then sad when i realize I have done the same thing.

7rider
04-14-2009, 03:52 PM
7, just in case you sold this lady a singlet:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/bik/1122405113.html

Huh. That's kind of funny. That is mine. I remember packing it up at the end of the day, thinking "Huh...I thought I sold this. Maybe she didn't want it after all."

Cataboo
04-14-2009, 03:58 PM
That cracks me up.

madscot13
04-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Huh. That's kind of funny. That is mine. I remember packing it up at the end of the day, thinking "Huh...I thought I sold this. Maybe she didn't want it after all."

is it really? what a small world

7rider
04-14-2009, 04:31 PM
is it really? what a small world

Sure.
I was the only one there selling women's clothes.
And I do have an REI sleeveless jersey with a single zippered back pocket I was selling.

Cataboo
05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Next bike swap is this weekend.

Cataboo
09-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Next bike swap tomorrow:

Buy, sell, or donate bicycles (or gear and clothing) at the WABA Bike and Gear Swap!
Sat., 9-12-09, 9am-1pm
The Bicycle Place (behind the shop) at 8313 Grubb Rd., Silver Spring, MD.

http://www.waba.org/events/bikeandgearswaps.php