PDA

View Full Version : Stretch techniques anyone?

oroight
06-14-2005, 05:02 AM
Has anyone any favourite stretch technique they would care to share? You may be able to offer alternatives to the regular stretches. For ITB l use a "polystyrene" roller, using weight of leg l roll the length of my ITB along it on the floor ouchhhhh You get some weird looks at the gym !

emily_in_nc
06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
My physical therapist gave me a good one for the hip flexor - mine is especially tight right now after surgery in that area due to my broken pelvis. Lie on the side of a bed with your butt right at the edge. One leg should be bent at the knee and supporting you. Hang the other leg over the edge, dangling down and just feel the stretch through your hip flexor (front of hip) for 30 seconds or so. It helps if your bed is rather high or you are rather short (both true in my case). It can be a bit hard on your lower back, which is why the bent leg is really important on the support side. Switch legs and repeat on the other side.

~Emily

RoadRaven
06-14-2005, 11:31 PM
I have a great "stretch" tape from an aerobics series (Aerobics Oz Style) and though not cycling specific, is offers two great all over stretch routines.
I try and do one once a week.

oroight
06-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Thanks Emily,that sounds like a good hip flexor stretch,l hope your fully recover from your surgery? l think Irulan posted a link on other thread with a picture of the ITB roll if your interested.
l wish they could just inject some sort of muscle relaxant substance in to my hip flexor to help with tightness!! Or a transplant with elastic band!Have you ever had the masseuse do them? Its the weirdest feeling as they dig their fingers down your pelvis as they go close to your stomach.Apparently they can also get to them thru your stomach area,but l haven't had the pleasure yet!

Road raven, l find it alarming that many people dont stretch ,and never think of it. l myself am guilty ,never ever did until l was older and really had to to keep on movin! Those young whippersnappers will regret not stretching one day!!! l thought you would have some LES Mills tapes :D

emily_in_nc
06-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks Emily,that sounds like a good hip flexor stretch,l hope your fully recover from your surgery? l think Irulan posted a link on other thread with a picture of the ITB roll if your interested.
l wish they could just inject some sort of muscle relaxant substance in to my hip flexor to help with tightness!! Or a transplant with elastic band!Have you ever had the masseuse do them? Its the weirdest feeling as they dig their fingers down your pelvis as they go close to your stomach.Apparently they can also get to them thru your stomach area,but l haven't had the pleasure yet.

I'm working on the recovery thing. It's been 8 weeks and I go back to the orthopedist tomorrow. I can't wait to find out if I can start bearing weight on the right side! I've had ITB problems in the past and have been to physical therapy for that as well so know the stretches (and do them - just not lately since I could only use one leg!) Never had a massage other than a back/shoulder massage. I can't imagine having my hip flexors massaged. After surgery, no one will be pressing on that area for a long time except me - I'm very protective of it!

~Emily

Deanna
06-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Oroight,

I swear by the book "Stretching" by Bob Anderson--my copy is falling apart. It includes a 10 minute routine (you can make it longer by increasing your stretches) for before and after rides. He provides stretch routines for activities I wouldn't even think about (like for after sitting for a long time). I also find I like to do standing stretches in the shower. I'm not a PT, but the heat seems to help.

Deanna