PDA

View Full Version : Purple Orbea, anyone?

Surlygirl
06-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Well, I thought I had a new bike. :( Seems there are none to be found anywhere. I'm promised the next one off the boat but that could be the end of the summer. If any of you spot a purple dama race Orbea in your LBS in size 49 please let me know! Thanks girls!

SadieKate
06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I feel for you. You can get on the internet and find tons of listings but very, very few will actually state whether the item is in stock. To get my Xsmall Titus a few years back I called all over the country. That purple sure is purdy.

Surlygirl
06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks SadieKate,
Between the LBS and Hubby they've called all over the U.S.. Even the Orbea reps etc. So now its just a waiting game. One shop in Texas told us they had one and oh whoops, when it actually came down to it, they didn't. Trying to entice us into the store. Like that's going to happen, I'm in Massachusetts. I guess they have a reputation (not a good one) according to the Orbea rep.
Oh and I love the Titus bikes. What did you get? I even looked at one of their mountain bikes at one point since they have them in xsmall.

SadieKate
06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
I have a Racer-X in xsmall. I love it! I ride lots of narrow, tight singletrack and this bike handles it like a dream. She also climbs just about any hill you point her at, but you better hold on because she goes with or without you!

She's red so my hubby names her "Sonja" for the movie.

emily_in_nc
06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Well, I thought I had a new bike. :( Seems there are none to be found anywhere. I'm promised the next one off the boat but that could be the end of the summer. If any of you spot a purple dama race Orbea in your LBS in size 49 please let me know! Thanks girls!

Ah, bummer, Surlygirl! I know how much you want that sweet purple ride!

Are the pink or blue available in your size? Would you consider another color or is it purple or bust? I think all the colors are gorgeous! I'd go for pink first, of course! :D

Good luck!
Emily

jobob
06-13-2005, 03:30 PM
um, not that it's much help to you, but I saw some purple women's Orbeas on display at the Bicycle Outfitter in Los Altos CA a few weeks ago
... and at the time I figured there would be several members of this list who would go ga-ga over them :D

Well well, there's even a blurb about the Orbea Damas on their website

http://bicycleoutfitter.com/site/intro.cfm

http://bicycleoutfitter.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=792&Catalog=39&sort=Price%20desc

Bummer, it looks like they won't do mail order. But it never hurts to beg ;)

- Jo "not much help" bob

Surlygirl
06-13-2005, 06:10 PM
You guys are great. :D I knew if I put it out to all of you someone might see one. I'll have to call tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up Jobob. Spazz also found a Orbea demo day right here in Mass. And yes I have my heart set on the purple. Originally I thought pink but then I saw the purple and well I think its going to be next years color, and it is my favorite. I rode the blue one but since I plan on having this bike a long time I want what I want. I'm sure all of you can relate.
Thanks again you guys, I'll keep you posted if I find one.

massbikebabe
06-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Jody:

Did you try Belmont Wheelworks??? I saw all sizes, colors and shapes there back in Marchish...sorry you have to wait so long...that blows

karen

Surlygirl
06-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Hi Karen,
Yeah Spazz sent me link to Belmont and they are actually having the Orbea demo day and ride. We tried there first. Maybe they'll bring one with them on demo day but Hubby, Gear Works and the Orbea Rep haven't had much luck.
They are out at Bicycle Outfitters too Jobob but thanks for trying.

DeniseGoldberg
06-14-2005, 08:45 AM
OK, this is probably totally crazy, but will they sell you an unpainted frame + all of the components that normally come on the assembled bike? You could get it painted any color you like!

Probably not...

--- Denise

Pedal Wench
06-14-2005, 08:57 AM
When I was buying my Bianchi, the US rep was able to tell me every dealer who had received one in my size. They only brought 4 complete bikes into the country in my size, so that list was short. They also were able to tell me who had received framesets in my size, and that's where I got lucky. Just start calling...

Surlygirl
06-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Yup, we've called all over the country. Some of the LBSs that sell Orbeas even told us they don't make them in purple. Ah huh, did you ever look at the catalog?????? (insert much sarcasm here). We even told one guy the colors they did come in, he had no idea about the pink or purple ones.
We have looked for just the frame also because I have nice Ultegra components on my Surly and going to swap them over. My LBS is looking for the full bike or a frame since they have one to swap in blue.
So I will continue to ride my Surly. Here is my rationalization, I'll be a whole lot stronger and faster by the end of summer having ridden her all summer and maybe my new bike will come in in time for my first Century in the fall.

spazzdog
06-14-2005, 04:35 PM
With demo day at Wheelworks, pre-haps there will be an opportunity to just put in an order with Orbea.

hopeful...

spazz

A quick web search found these:

In CA http://www.sunbikeshop.com/Orbea/OrbeaDamaRace.htm

and http://edenbicycles.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1721&Catalog=39&sort=BrandName

In AR http://chainwheel.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2074&Catalog=63&sort=Price

All sites say they have the purlple one. Assuming you KNOW the 49 fits... perhaps you can buy it over the phone.

Surlygirl
06-16-2005, 04:39 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for trying to find a bike for me. We tried all the places you guys mentioned with no luck. The orbea rep talked to Orbea in Spain yesterday and there are no puple 49s on the shipment that left last Friday, however, they promised they will have one for me on the next boat out. They will let us know on Friday when the next shipment leaves and then it should only be a couple of weeks after that and I'll have my bike. Who'd have thunk it would be so difficult to find a bike.
Thanks again ladies.

Steph_in_TX
06-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Hang in there...it will be worth the wait. My dh just had to endure this type of wait and the slow boat from France to get his new Look frame. He said it was like being a kid waiting for Christmas. He could hardly take it! He's so happy now that it was worth enduring the wait.

Cari
09-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for trying to find a bike for me. We tried all the places you guys mentioned with no luck. The orbea rep talked to Orbea in Spain yesterday and there are no puple 49s on the shipment that left last Friday, however, they promised they will have one for me on the next boat out. They will let us know on Friday when the next shipment leaves and then it should only be a couple of weeks after that and I'll have my bike. Who'd have thunk it would be so difficult to find a bike.
Thanks again ladies.

The Basque Country is beautiful. Maybe you could go to Spain to buy the bike and stay for a cycling tour of Euskadi.

I wonder... how do you say "On your left!" in Euskera? Maybe the Orbea rep can help you with that. :D

Surlygirl
09-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi Cari,
I have my new Orbea. Check "The New Orbea" thread and see the picture. Its a wonderful bike and was well worth the wait. :D

biker chick
11-16-2005, 07:14 PM
I bought a purple Orbea from Xtream sports in Amarillo, Texas. I have a freind with a pink one. It is very pretty too. Orbeas are light and fast. I don't think you can go wrong with any color.