PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled Tour for the Summer....looking for silver linings....

kacie tri-ing
03-24-2009, 04:44 AM
DH broke his collarbone and shattered his scapula 10 days ago at a race. He spent 4 days in the hospital following some pretty extensive reconstructive surgury. He made it out ok, but it is going to be a long and rough recovery.

Needless to say, our transamerica tour is cancelled for the summer. We will hope to do it next summer.

We are both focused on his recovery first, but we can't help but be sad that we are missing out on our trip for the summer.

Silver linings? I know that the fact that his injury was not worse and that it was able to be fixed is the ultimate silver lining ( have thought about that a million times, and I am grateful for it, but I can't think about it too much, or I start to get pretty upset!)....I am looking for more uplifting ones to bring our spirits back up.

Tuckervill
03-24-2009, 05:48 AM
Oh, that's so disappointing. The silver lining is that America will always be here, and the road will always be waiting. :)

Karen

lph
03-24-2009, 06:01 AM
aaaahhh - being injured really is the pits. I don't have experience from injuries that extensive but am just back doing all my normal things after a painful but not serious elbow injury.

What really helped me this time is the fact that now I'm doing more things than I used to. 5 years ago I was a climber period, and any injury that cut back my climbing turned me insane. Now I ride my bike a lot more, I kayak, I'm doing some swimming, so when I was injured I could spend time doing other things I liked. And read a whole lot of books I didn't have time for before. But I was lucky and could still exercise.

So is there anything he'd really like to do more of, or try to start doing, that he hasn't taken the time for before? Anything at all - cooking, movies, plays, reading, singing, river boat cruises, language courses, bridge... you name it. I found out that I rather enjoyed being "let off the hook" of my own expectations of what I should be doing and achieving for a while. If you "know" you're going to heal well it's easier to sort of play at being someone else for a while, instead of being too disappointed over what you're missing.

Can you plan interesting surprises for him to look forward to in the months to come, maybe?

salsabike
03-24-2009, 06:09 AM
What really helped me this time is the fact that now I'm doing more things than I used to. 5 years ago I was a climber period, and any injury that cut back my climbing turned me insane. Now I ride my bike a lot more, I kayak, I'm doing some swimming, so when I was injured I could spend time doing other things I liked. And read a whole lot of books I didn't have time for before. But I was lucky and could still exercise.

So is there anything he'd really like to do more of, or try to start doing, that he hasn't taken the time for before? Anything at all - cooking, movies, plays, reading, singing, river boat cruises, language courses, bridge... you name it. I found out that I rather enjoyed being "let off the hook" of my own expectations of what I should be doing and achieving for a while. If you "know" you're going to heal well it's easier to sort of play at being someone else for a while, instead of being too disappointed over what you're missing.

Can you plan interesting surprises for him to look forward to in the months to come, maybe?

Really smart ideas, I think--both the "doing a variety of sports" part, and the "if there's anything he hasn't had time for before". An art class? Volunteer job with animals? lph, such good advice.

Aggie_Ama
03-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Can you maybe do a short tour once he is healed? Maybe in the area? Neighboring state? Something to look forward too? How about some trips you wouldn't do if you weren't forced to be home. We do odd things like decide money is tight and end up hiking somewhere because other than gas it is free. Or go to the zoo because I am a zoo freak and have been to nearly every zoo in Texas now. I dunno, that might not be feasible with a banged up hubby.

AnnieBikes
03-24-2009, 05:39 PM
kacie,

It must be really hard knowing you had a great tour planned and now you can't go. :(

The advice I read about planning a short, perhaps, week-long state ride later in the year sounds like great advice. It would be something to look forward to without being a huge trip. Also, don't underestimate the recovery power of the human body. Your DH might surprise you, too.

Good luck, take it slow, and your trip will become reality before you know it.

kacie tri-ing
03-26-2009, 04:41 AM
I love these ideas! They have me thinking about what else we can do! I appreciate the ideas!

Tri Girl
03-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Don't have any other ideas (the ones given are great- especially the short tour),but I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry the touring plans for the summer are shot. I KNOW you're grateful that he's OK, but it's still very disappointing. If you do a short tour, you'll still have to let us know all about it. :)