PDA

View Full Version : road under construction, impatient SUV

Biciclista
03-23-2009, 10:38 AM
DH and I were on our sunday ride, which included some new territory for me.
We took a road paralleling Interstate 5, two blocks of which was under construction and limited to one lane. We were 1/2 way down the first block when an SUV came up behind us and honked. I looked around, there was nowhere to go, there was no way i was sharing a narrowed lane with that guy. So he honked again and again and again, and eventually DH gave him the international hello I love you sign and we got to the intersection where he took the road more traveled and we took the less traveled one.

1/ passing is not allowed in construction zones
2/ I did not feel safe sharing the lane with a SUV
3/ I could have gotten onto the sidewalk but I am traffic.
4/ this guy hates cyclists even more now, but the fact is, we had the
right to be where we were.

spokewench
03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Very frustrating - but what are you going to do? Some people just will never get it!

ny biker
03-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Whenever I ride on a road that is too narrow for passing, and I know I've got one or more motor vehicles behind me, I will always wave a thank you to them when we eventually reach the point where it is safe for them to pass, to show that I appreciate their patience.

If I can find a safe place to pull over, like a driveway, I will let them pass before the road widens. Especially if I'm chugging up a hill at < 10 mph. Unfortunately I'm usually not able to find a pullover spot.

If I'm getting honked at by the driver behind me, then the heck with them.

withm
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
the international hello I love you sign

I not really sure which sign that is. It's not the one with one finger extended is it?

Biciclista
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I not really sure which sign that is. It's not the one with one finger extended is it?

yes, that's what it is! guess which finger?

tulip
03-24-2009, 04:46 AM
I think I would have moved more over to the middle of the lane and s l o w e d d o w n. What a jerk!

lph
03-24-2009, 05:42 AM
When people honk in situations like that they're not saying "Hey! Move over, will you!" - they're saying "Hey!! You shouldn't be on the road, MORON!"

And there really isn't any response to that that won't bring you down to their level.

I'd probably pedal my *ss off right in front of him until I could wave him by with all the regal manners I could muster. Then sulk all the way home.

Aint Doody
03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
He couldn't be patient for 2 lousy blocks?!!! What a jerk.

Biciclista
03-24-2009, 01:20 PM
1.5 Short Blocks

solobiker
03-24-2009, 04:43 PM
People like that really bother me. Couldn't he see that it was only going to be for a block or 2. Give me a break. I usually can justify one honk if someone does that to me for a few reasons.... 1) they hit the horn by accident and 2) a friendly warning that they are behind me. Yeah I know for the most part none of those are the reasons but that puts a less negative attitude into my brain;) Granted sometimes that does not work.

Tri Girl
03-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, I can understand his frustration. You probably cost him 30 seconds of travel time, and I'm sure he was a surgeon trying to get to the hospital for an emergency life-threatening surgery trying to save a poor, helpless child. :rolleyes: (I hope my extremely sarcastic tone is coming through the keyboard).

I HATE impatient people- especially when it's only for 1.5 stinkin' blocks. Get over it!

We got honked at on a recent ride in Texas. We were flying downhill at 35 mph, the road was 4 lanes, and there was hardly any traffic. I waved and smiled really big at them like I knew them. I hoped it made them even madder.