PDA

View Full Version : T & E Challenge

smurfalicious
06-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Well ladies, things are definately getting better on the racing front. I still sucked if you look at times, but the experience was awesome. I'm thinking by my next race I'll be dialed.

Major pitfalls to this race were being so nervous that by the time we started, I was exhausted, and some bike issues. Oh and uh, and in waking up with the makings of some "girly issues" that will be treated with Diflucan as soon as I get home. Yeah, I'm a trooper racing like that.

I was definately less nervous this morning, but I still get really full of self doubt. I'm so stinking convinced that these people are so much better than me that I panic. Hello, I'm a little ripper at home, why do I get so convinced that these race courses are somehow harder than what I ride all the time at home? Why do they intimidate me? I can rail some pretty surly climbs at home, but racing I panic. Must get over that. Must, must, must. Gonna do more road trip riding, I think I enjoy home terrain advantage too much.

Other than that my bike was being a brat, and it's partially my fault. I've been having mad shifting drama, replaced cables, housing, adjusted and adjusted more. I finally got a new chain, and like a dork forgot to adjust my derailluers for the new, unstretched chain. UGH! Some people ride single speed, I rode potluck speed. I missed so many shifts, or the shifts happened too late. Into a harder gear as I'm climbing, easier once I start descending. GRRR!!! Needless to say I spent a lot of time hoofing it, because cussing at my bike was unsportsmanlike.

Anyway, I had a blast coming down the face of the mountain, got over my switchback fears somewhat, and did my best to really just have fun. This time the fun factor was muuuuch higher! I had my very first descent that made my forearms ache. My new stem was a blessing, 105 gram beautiful Syntace. Now my back doesn't hurt because my saddle is actually on and effect part of the rails! Yay! Downside is that it's working my muscles differently, but now properly.

Sooo, the cool part was that being the only beginner open woman, yeah, I still won. And I needed that little victory. Hey, years from now all that I'll remember when I look at that medal is that I won. Even if I just won battles against my own fears.

love and cookies
-smurf

CorsairMac
06-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Kiss that medal for me!!! Sounds like you had fun and wasn't that the reason you started racing anyway!

Well Done Smurf!!

RoadRaven
06-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Hey there Smurf, CONGRATS!

I'm pos going to be in the same boat in a couple of races I choose to enter locallly - its likely that there will only be 2-3 women in my category - but who cares

A medal is a medal and concrete proof you achieved something that others couldn't be bothered or motivated to put the time and dedication in to achieve.

Way to go, girl! :D