PDA

View Full Version : Reflective, high-viz gilet

woohoo
03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good high-viz, highly reflective gilet - something lightweight such as pertex. I would like something to keep the wind off when riding without being as warm as a full jacket, and that helps me be seen in traffic if possible. One I've seen is the Pearl Izumi Whisper Vest (http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_4968_2.html), but I'm not sure how reflective it is at the back in the brighter colour. Does anybody have one, and if so how reflective is it in practice? Also, are there any other good gilets anybody can recommend I take a look at?

Thanks, Lynne.

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-20-2009, 01:51 PM
what's a gilet? Sounds fishy!

Zen
03-20-2009, 02:05 PM
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For the municipality in eastern Spain, see Gilet, Valencia.

Gilet (French gilet, from Spanish gileco or chaleco, ultimately from Turkish yelek) is a sleeveless jacket resembling a waistcoat or blouse.[1] Currently, a gilet is a sleeveless jacket or vest. They may be waist- to knee-length, and are typically straight-sided rather than fitted. However, historically, they were fitted and embroidered.[2] In a further derivation, in 19th-century dressmaking a gilet was a dress bodice shaped like a man's waistcoat.[3]

Today, gilets are often worn as an outer layer, for extra warmth outdoors. Fashion gilets may be made of cloth, fake fur or knitted. Sports gilets are often windproof and/or made of fleece. High end hiking jackets often have an integral gilet inside them, that can be zipped on/off. Racing cyclists use thin light gilets with a windproof front and mesh back. Shooting gilets are rugged and made of leather.

I've never heard this word used either. Where are you from, Woo?

woohoo
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Hee hee, it never even occurred to me that gilet would be a weird word - I guess I should have said vest, lol! ;)

Zen, I'm from near Loch Lomond in Scotland. It's definitely not a traditional Scots word though - for further confusion value, a vest in the UK is what you wear under your shirt in winter to keep you from catching a cold! :D

Zen
03-20-2009, 03:01 PM
for further confusion value, a vest in the UK is what you wear under your shirt in winter to keep you from catching a cold! :D

We just call that an undershirt :rolleyes:

What I can't figure out is why a sweater is called a jumper.
Which begs the question "Does a sweater make you sweat?"
Well, sometimes but a sweat suit is what one wears when one intentionally expects to sweat.

A jumper is a type of girls dress here :D :D

Becky
03-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I would look for something made from Illuminite. It has reflective glass micro-beads woven into the fabric that are very bright. I've seen several pieces made from Illuminite that come in hi-viz yellow too.

Zen
03-20-2009, 03:22 PM
It wouldn't be made entirely of Illuminite, more likely it would have a panel insert. My messenger bag has a big Illuminite panel.

Becky
03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
It wouldn't be made entirely of Illuminite, more likely it would have a panel insert. My messenger bag has a big Illuminite panel.

No, but my jacket and vest are both mostly Illuminite, and that's way more reflectivity than those little patches on most garments.

crazycanuck
03-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I just purchased a Ground Effect Flip Flop & I think it's suitable for hi vis. If you'd like to have a peek, let me know.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-FLI-RAI.htm

OakLeaf
03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I have the PI Vagabond jacket, which the sleeves zip off to make a vest. There's only a little bit of reflective material on it. But it's true hi-viz, so it appears to light up in even the lowest light. It's only in full dark that true reflectivity would add much to this jacket.

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I like my Brooks brand "Nightlife" vest:
http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=w&pcid=89722&adtrack=eshop&term=women%27s+brooks+nightlife+vest&offer=
It doesn't get any brighter for day riding...hurts to look at it!

woohoo
03-21-2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks, those all sound like good tips! I didn't even know that you could get convertible jackets like the flip flop or vagabond, d'oh! - that might be exactly the kind of thing I need, thanks! I've also contacted illuminite about ordering from the UK - that stuff looks amazing, so I think I'll definitely be looking for some gear from them :D

Thanks everyone, Lynne.

p.s. Zen, don't even get me started on "pants", lol!

VeloVT
03-24-2009, 03:00 PM
woohoo, I had to post this for you, given the discussion here :p:

Rapha Gilet (http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=625)

Totally not what you are looking for, but Rapha stuff makes me drool -- I love the whole aesthetic, and everything looks as if it is detailed beautifully also.

I have last year's version of this vest - quite a bit uglier than the Rapha gilet, but the hi-vis color is very bright and it's reasonably reflective. It's also quite breathable, while still keeping off the wind.

Sugoi Zap Vest (http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7427147/c/128826.html)

sgtiger
03-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Liza, thanks for the link to Ralpha. The apparel looks great and the guys are not so bad on the eyes either.:D

VeloVT
03-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Liza, thanks for the link to Ralpha. The apparel looks great and the guys are not so bad on the eyes either.:D

I know, not bad at all, eh? :cool:

mariposa
03-25-2009, 09:00 PM
The Pearl Izumi Optik vest in screaming yellow is about as bright and as lightweight as it gets.

It's much lighter and less bulky than either the PI Whisper or the Brooks vest. I think it breathes pretty well.

It runs pretty small.

Zen
03-25-2009, 09:09 PM

That would be RAPHa , not Ralpha :D
Though their hoity-toitiness makes me want to Ralpha

VeloVT
03-26-2009, 08:39 AM
The Pearl Izumi Optik vest in screaming yellow is about as bright and as lightweight as it gets.

It's much lighter and less bulky than either the PI Whisper or the Brooks vest. I think it breathes pretty well.

It runs pretty small.

I have the Optik jacket in two colors, and my boyfriend has the Optik vest in screaming yellow (which is indeed very bright). I use my jackets quite a bit actually, they are very light and reasonably breathable, and very packable. Be forwarned though -- the fabric is loud and makes quite a bit of rustling noise when you are riding downhill or into wind (and this is even when they are sized properly and have a fairly slim fit). One windy day I was riding with my boyfriend -- he was wearing the Optik vest, and I was wearing the Sugoi vest. The difference in noisiness was quite noticeable if we rode side-by-side. This is just an FYI -- depending on how sensitive you are to that kind of thing, it may not bother you at all. It doesn't really bother me when I wear my Optik jacket (although I notice it), but it drives my boyfriend a little nuts with the vest.

Edit: I agree with Mariposa on the sizing. In fact, I almost always have to size up with PI jackets -- I'm a small in their jerseys but definitely a medium in the jackets. They tend to run narrow through the shoulders/back.

sgtiger
03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
That would be RAPHa , not Ralpha :D
Though their hoity-toitiness makes me want to Ralpha

Oops, my bad. :o
LOL! You kill me, Zen.:D:D:D

woohoo
04-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Sorry for the delay replying - was away skiing :D

Thanks for the pics to come back to liza - those rapha guys sure did cheer up my first day back at work, lol ;)

I never thought about the rustling thing but will def be hitting the LBS to take a look at some fabrics before I commit now, ta!

Thanks all, Lynne.