PDA

View Full Version : The Ice Cream Queen is lactose intolerant!

Barb
06-12-2005, 05:11 AM
I am figuring this out and going to the doctor next week. I can't eat many milk products! Who has this problem? I get SEVERE heart burn after a latte, ice cream, cheese, 2% milk and (SOB) chocolate bars. I do know that fat free yogurt doesn't hurt. I haven't heard of anyone getting heart burn from it before.

So I am trying to stay clean from that stuff! I am trying to use Soy milk. I have to admit, it is not my favorite. I have only tried Silk. Is there anything out there that is better and cheeper? Yikes the soy stuff will kill my grocery budget.

Selkie
06-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Get yourself some Lactaid, girl!! You might have just overloaded on the dairy stuff. Maybe if you don't eat so much of it at one time you'll be OK. I know that when I eat a lot of milk-based stuff, I get indigestion.

Pedal Wench
06-12-2005, 07:14 AM
I'm intolerant too. I use the Lactaid Ultra pills whenever I think I might have a problem. Yogurt is the only dairy product that doesn't hurt (the lactose is already broken down by the yogurt cultures.) Chocolate shouldn't cause a problem though - in fact, chocolate should help - they (whoever 'they' are...) suggested eating chocolate with the dairy to cut down on the effect. Hard cheeses (aged) are also better tolerated than soft ones. I just keep the 'milky pills' with me all the time - they're small enough to swallow without water, and I take one with the first bite of questionable food.

Barb
06-12-2005, 07:27 AM
I have started the lactaid pills. They work just ok. I don't eat a ton of dairy anyway but the thought of ice cream denial is sooo said! I am learning to eat WAY smaller amounts when i take the pills and that helps. The worst thing that has happened is being at work, forgetting the pills at home along with my lunch when all they are serving in the cafeteria is cheese laden pizza. OH my gosh! I have never been in pain like that. It felt like a heart attack! I am glad school is out and I won't be trapped like that again!

DeniseGoldberg
06-12-2005, 07:54 AM
...but the thought of ice cream denial is sooo sad!

I'd recommend trying sorbet instead of ice cream for your ice cream fix - no dairy products included. I really like the Hagen Das sorbets, especially chocolate (of course)! But the lemon and the raspberry are good too.

--- Denise

effulgent
06-12-2005, 11:39 AM
For cereal, I would HIGHLY recommend going with Blue Diamond Almond milk - vanilla flavor. After using that, I just cannot stand soy milk with my cereal anymore. :) It's super good with Grape Nuts. For my smoothies, I use Silk Enriched because it has Omega 3's and other vitamins.

For ice cream, the Soy Delicious ones aren't *too* bad, but I think you'd be better off with frozen yogurt instead.

Barb
06-12-2005, 03:41 PM
So I have not tried soy ice cream. I really like sorbet (raspberry mmmmmm) I am so excited to hear that they make chocolate sorbet!

mikki
06-12-2005, 04:36 PM
I second the nomination for the Blue Diamond Vanilla Almond milk, excellent on cereal. We are also subject to Moo Death. Other things to watch for if you are going all out on this: casienate, sodium lactylate, lactic acid, lactate, whey, butter, etc. Did you know Gummi Bears (the Care Bear kind) have lactic acid in them? How about pepperoni? and most store bought breads? and many prepared sauces? and most baked goods? :(

It takes a bit of work, but alternatives can be found. For instance, Papa Murphy's pizza crust has no moo death, and they will make one without cheese. They look at you funny, but they'll do it. You can actually taste the toppings without the cheese!!! :D

Give it about 3-4 weeks before the serious cravings go away. Stand your ground and you will feel better for it.

Good Luck
Mikki

PS - check the chocolate sorbet. The one I looked at had milk products in it. So does the coconut sorbet (whimper)

emily_in_nc
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
I also Luuuuuuvvvv almond milk, though I get the regular flavor because it's lower in sugars than the vanilla. I can't get past the thought of soy milk, because all I can think of is "bean milk" - ugh! The mental image is just too strong, even though I like tofu and beans - just don't want 'em in my milk, so I've never even dared to try it. :p

Emily

RoadRaven
06-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Never tried almond milk... I wonder if they sell it down under?
*makes a mental note to look more closely next time I go shopping*

CorsairMac
06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm highly allergic to all dairy products and almonds so soy milk it is - and I use the Silk Vanilla which is very good. They now also make a Silk Creamer and Silk Chocolate Milk which I might have to try!

They do make Soy Ice Cream and I enjoy it very much whenever I have an Ice Cream craving. Soy Decadence is my personal favorite, it's richer plus they use Evap Cane Juice which I seem to process ok. I also use the Soy Decadence French Vanilla whenever I"m craving an ice cream float (my weakness)

If you're having problems with chocolate, I'm guessing it's the milk products in the chocolate. They do make chocolate chips with soy instead of milk or you could try true bittersweet chocolate which is unsweetened and has no milk products in them.

They also make rice milk which I"ve never tried but could be another alternative for you. As sick as it's making you, and if the Lactaid pills aren't helping, you could have a diary allergy.

Good luck on your search and let us know what the Doc says!

LBTC
06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't tolerate milk products well, either, but not to the degree you've described. yogurt can cause heartburn, even, though....but I tried an ulcer-helper, actually, and have had better success with that than with the lactaid or the digestive enzymes....it's called DGL, some kind of licorice root. buy the chewable and try eating a tablet about a half hour before eating. it may help!

I have found it impossible to resist cheese, so went looking for soy cheese. the first ones I found were tolerable, but the second brand (likely one only available in BC as it is Okanagan Soya) is fabulous! I love it! it melts well and grates well, too!

as for ice cream, yeah, it doesn't sit well, either, can you say bloated?? but we rarely have it so I just put up with it. I didn't like the soy ice cream at all. on my cereal I use vitasoy light vanilla. I find it quite nice, but I really do have tasty cereal in the morning with added bananas and blueberries, so that may help.

good luck!!
namaste,
~T~

SimpleCycle
07-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Other things to watch for if you are going all out on this: casienate, sodium lactylate, lactic acid, lactate, whey, butter, etc. Did you know Gummi Bears (the Care Bear kind) have lactic acid in them? How about pepperoni? and most store bought breads? and many prepared sauces? and most baked goods? :(

It depends if you are trying to avoid just lactose or all milk products. Lactic acid, lactate, and sodium lactylate are not sources of lactose. They begin with lac- for etymological reasons, not because they are manufactured from milk products or contain lactose.

More information can be found at the Lactose Intolerance Clearninghouse, an excellent resource:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper/guide.htm

Barb, I wouldn't jump to the lactose intolerance conclusion. I am glad you are seeing a doctor to sort things out. LI symptoms are symptoms of the lower intestine due to undigested lactose fermenting in the intestines. Information from the same lactose inotolerance website says:

"Note that these are all symptoms of the lower intestines. Anyone (except for young children) who gets vomiting, burping, heartburn, or other stomach ills, should look for a difference cause. "

Most people who are lactose intolerance can digest small amounts of lactose. But because there is lactose in so many processed foods, it's pretty easy for it to all add up to too much. That is why reading labels is important. For example, even though I can digest yogurt okay, many brands have added "milk solids", upping their lactose content into my undigestable range.

For you Lactose Intolerant gals, have any of you tried Accelerade? I've been avoiding it because of the whey protien, but whey protien concentrate can be refined so that it has little lactose. Has it caused problems for you? (Of course, I don't digest maltodextrin all that well, either)

LBTC
07-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Simple,
my lactose intolerance is mild, consisting of bloating after eating things like cheese or milk and even a tiny bit after eating a good yogurt.

when I drink Accelerade the bloating is quite noticeable. If you have a worse reation to lactose, you may find this one quite difficult!

I switched to soy protein, but it means mixing it with other stuff to get a drinkable pre or post workout drink. I mixed it with yogurt, soy milk, frozen berries and orange juice - I got the recipe from a fitness magazine.

Namaste,
~T~

SimpleCycle
07-03-2005, 07:40 PM
I switched to soy protein, but it means mixing it with other stuff to get a drinkable pre or post workout drink. I mixed it with yogurt, soy milk, frozen berries and orange juice - I got the recipe from a fitness magazine.

That's actually what I have been doing, so I think I'll stick with that. I usually blend up some soy milk, bananas, and soy protien powder as a pre ride shake, and whatever I have around with soy protien after the ride (applesauce, yogurt, orange juice, etc)

Thanks for the Accelerade info. I'm glad I've steered clear.

LBTC
07-03-2005, 07:42 PM
you're welcome, simple! no need for you to suffer the consequences, too! :)

Namaste,
~T~

newbiechick
07-05-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't have any personal experience with this, but ... my sister has a pretty serious acid reflux problem and dairy products are the worst thing for her. She says cheese doesn't seem to bother her, ice cream seems to be the worst, and other dairy products fall in between. Don't know if it's actually the lactose that causes the problem (but I s'pose that would make sense).

As for the ice cream problem ... just spent the long weekend with said sister and her family ... my nephew is lactose-intolerant ... we had Breyers lactose-free ice cream for dinner Sunday night. My nephew said he has no problem at all with it. So consider that option. Don't know if they make it any flavors other than vanilla ... but there's always chocolate syrup. :)

Good luck!

Shelley
aka newbiechick

Barb
07-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Sorry I took so long getting back. The results are in. I have a hiatel (sp) hernia and acid reflux. So now I am on these pills every day and still can't eat ice cream or STRONG coffee with cream (yum yum).

Now it's just time for some adjustments. That's ok, becuase I have let myself get as big as a house. I'm not even riding as much as I used to. I want all of that to change. So now my cupboards are bare and I am scanning the nutrition threads for ideas. It may be time for me to see a nutritionalist. Sigh....so many needs, so little cash!

chick on a bike
07-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Bleckh!! That sounds really painful, I'm sorry. :( I hope you can get better from that hiatle hernia and acid reflux and that you can get the acid under control. I've never had a hiatle hurnia but I know severe stomach pain. Mine bleeds if I get too severly stressed. ~cringes~

If the lactaid pills that your taking don't have enough kick to them, you can take two at a time. That's what I do as otherwise it's not enough. You might even try the extra strength lactaid pills; that's what I take as the regular strength isn't quite enough. :p My system is just as ornery as I am, *giggles* so I make sure that my system gets hit with heavey artillary as otherwise it won't listen! *lol* Stupid system! :p

If I lived close to you, I'd ride with ya to help you get back into shape. :) Hope you get better! ~hugs to you~

~Liz :)

chick on a bike
07-14-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm highly allergic to all dairy products and almonds so soy milk it is - and I use the Silk Vanilla which is very good. They now also make a Silk Creamer and Silk Chocolate Milk which I might have to try!

You have not yet tried the Silk Chocolate Soy?????? ~raises and eye brow~ Girl, y'all don't know what you're missin' then!!! *lol* That stuff is soooo rediculously good! You have to go out and get yourself some!!! If I wasn't so conscious about my figure, I'd buy it a whole lot more often as I could sit there and have it for every meal til it was gone! *he he* And that would be bad! *lol* Then I'd have to ride extra miles...but not that that's bad or anything.....~evil little giggles~ Just have to have the energy to do it as sometimes I lack! ^^

~Liz :cool: