PDA

View Full Version : Nema Gem baggy bike shorts

Hound Dog
06-11-2005, 07:21 AM
I ordered 2 pairs of Nema Gem baggy bike shorts on ebay (I don't think they are sold in Canada). Normally I would try on shorts at my LBS as I have a difficult time finding shorts that I like. But, I was desparate for some baggy bike shorts and had read some online reviews about this brand. I took a chance on buying these shorts online for a couple of reasons..... the price was too good to pass on, and the reviews I read were very positive.

I ordered the Storm and Dune models in a size small (I am 5'3" tall and 115lbs).

I found these shorts to fit small, but the worst of it .... the chamois in both shorts is soooo large that it felt like I had one of my grandson's cloth diapers on! I could even see it when I looked at my back end in the mirror! So, I cut out a portion of the back part of the chamois (since I don't need it going up my crack :D ). I also found the elastic around my legs on the inside liner to be way too tight for my legs so I snipped a portion of the elastic to losen the death grip it had on my thighs.

Both pairs have a strong elastic band around the waist, which I don't like, but I can live with.

I then put on the Dune model and went for a ride. What I found is the elastic was still too tight around my thighs. Now, I am not a big person, nor do I have large legs. The elastic was cutting the cirulation off! So... I decided to cut the elastic out completely after my ride. I wore the shorts around the house after, and they felt like normal baggy shorts, except with the chamois.

Having done all these alterations, I have to say I like the look and the feel of these baggy shorts. They are comfortable to ride in. Would I have purchased these shorts if I had tried them on at my LBS? Not unless the medium size had fit better.

I think with the final alerations performed, these shorts will be perfect for me. (I hate lycra) Does anyone else use these Nema shorts???

emily_in_nc
06-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi Hound Dog ~

I have a pair of Nema baggy shorts, but I don't think they are the Gem model. These were my first ever baggy shorts, so I didn't really know what to expect. Mine are also size S (I weigh about 105). I also found the chamois to be HUGE, like a diaper. Like you, I don't care for the elastic around the legs on the inner liner. It is tight. I can tolerate it for the short mtb rides I do around our property (no more than 45 minutes), but that's about it. The shorts are really large and baggy, too, with heavy-duty tight elastic around the waist. I got them here on Team E for 50% off, though, so I didn't expect perfection, and like you, couldn't try them on in advance or I probably wouldn't have bought them. Next time I am looking for baggy shorts, I think I will buy them where I can try them on first!

On the plus side, I love that they have pockets. Being a roadie normally, I'm not used to having shorts pockets to stash things in; it's quite convenient!

~Emily

Hound Dog
06-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks Emily..... nice to know someone else had these same issues with these baggy shorts.

I ended up taking the elastic out of the back of the waist, as well as cutting it out of the leg insert. I went for a ride tonight, and they were great! I do like the colour scheme and the looks of these shorts, even if they aren't "perfect".

Hound Dog