PDA

View Full Version : About those chamois....

Lynne
06-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Ok, I know everyone always says "it's not a stupid question", but this one will probably qualify for that category (hmmmm...new category??)

I guess I just assumed I should always go for the thickest chamois since I'm try to do longer rides each weekend I go out and hope to get up to 70-milers in prep for the Cycle Oregon trip. I'd of course never worn cycling shorts before this summer, so I made a lot of assumptions. I'd been avoiding buying the PI sugar short for just this reason (I have two VERY nice pairs of shorts...the PI 3d microsomething and a Sugoi that cost like $110 but can't remember the model).

But it's really really annoying that I keep getting the back of the stupid chamois caught on the very thin front part of the saddle when I try to hop back up after being stopped at a light or stop sign. Am I the ONLY one this happens too?? It's really frustrating because then it pulls the shorts down a little as I drag my big butt further up and over the tip of the saddle to get settled.

I think it's because I'm not used to having a big old pad over my butt, you know? And I'm a really clumsy person to begin with, unfortunately.

So, if I understand right, I can probably go with a smaller chamois? How small can you go if you want to do 70 mile rides? I have that nice saddle with the butterfly on it, so I'm sure I have a good saddle (I'm so bad with names, can't remember the brand name). I'd experiment, but honestly, $70 bucks a shot is a lot of "experimenting", you know?

Thanks,

Veronica
06-10-2005, 03:23 PM
When I am trying new shorts out, I usually get the first pair at an LBS with return policy - even if they have been worn. REI I believe also will take them back no matter what, as long as they are clean. I'll pay more when trying something if I have to, to be able to return it.

Once I know I like something, then I'll look here for it.

Regarding Chamois - I like a thinner one. PIs seem too thick to me. Sugoi's Ultrafino are nice, as are the Castelli pro Donnas or something like that.

V.

SadieKate
06-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Couple of things. One, you do need to learn to lift yourself up onto the seat - straight up. This is the pot calling the kettle black, but I know when it's me and when it's the shorts. Two, some pads are sculpted to be thinner near the edges or have a v-shaped wedge in the middle of the back (PI 3-D, Castelli YPR03, Shebeest Shelastomer?). This is generally true in the more expensive pads (though the Descente pad from last year did not have this cutout) This will also help you clear the chamois over the saddle. Then, you can have a thick pad for the sits areas and a thin pad where the nose of the saddle will spear the short (short suck). Of course, if you are mounting aimed downhill, the lift technique is especially important as the saddle is higher than when you are on the flat and any chamois can get caught.

spazzdog
06-10-2005, 06:50 PM
I had the same problem... turned out I was wearing shorts that were too big. It took a kind sales rep to show me the error of my ways.

No more catching my chamois on the nose of the seat. Go down a size. The shorts should fit like a skin... yeah, I know... that whole sausage thing bangs us grrls the wrong way BUT better to be a sausage than shish-kabobbed on your saddle nose.

spazz

emily_in_nc
06-11-2005, 11:14 AM
But it's really really annoying that I keep getting the back of the stupid chamois caught on the very thin front part of the saddle when I try to hop back up after being stopped at a light or stop sign. Am I the ONLY one this happens too??

No you aren't! :o Doesn't happen often, but one of my most embarrassing cycling moments was getting ready to leave a rest stop at an organized metric century and performing this particular number in a parking lot with tons of other riders looking on. I was clipped in, and when the shorts caught, I lost my balance and fell over sideways. And I was no newbie - had already done four centuries that year. I was mortified!

In this case, I think the shorts caught because we'd been caught in a downpour before the rest stop and my shorts were soaked (including chamois - what a yukky feeling), so it was heavy and hanging down a bit; thus, it caught.

But really, this shouldn't happen often. Like spazz said, if it's happening a lot, you are possibly wearing your shorts too large. If you're sure you have the sausage-casing look going on already, then just practice lifting yourself a bit higher back onto the saddle. Soon it will become second nature. Good luck!

~Emily

Lynne
06-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Ok, thanks for all the feedback. Having read this, I've been concentrating hard on getting up high over the saddle before settling down and haven't hung up lately. Honestly, all joking aside, I'm a very clumsy person so this is embarrassing and annoying all at the same time. The shorts definitely fit (the same ones that are in my profile photo), they are not too big. I just need to learn better.

Also, I tried the sugar shorts but being short waisted, they pretty much come up under my boobs (oh SO attractive!) and also kind of bag on my butt. Not sure why they fit me so weird.

There was a suggestion for some types/brands in another thread I posted, so I do intend to try a thinner pad to see how I feel.

caligurl
06-15-2005, 02:08 PM
my sugar shorts annoy me! i think/thought they were too big.. but then i read that you think they fit weird.. maybe they are just weird? :confused: :confused: :confused:

i LOVE my performance ultra's! comfy comfy COMFY! and i love the chamois! i don't like that they don't have the grippers on the leg though.... for when i need to wear leg warmers :mad: i'm constantly pulling them down over the warmers! :mad:

doc
06-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Nope, its not the sugar short that's weird. It's people. All of us. I love my sugar shorts, bought two more pairs. But we are all so completely different that you have to experiment. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

emily_in_nc
06-16-2005, 07:17 AM
i LOVE my performance ultra's! comfy comfy COMFY! and i love the chamois! i don't like that they don't have the grippers on the leg though.... for when i need to wear leg warmers :mad: i'm constantly pulling them down over the warmers! :mad:

I love Performance Ultras too (have three pairs!), but they are short (5" inseam) and too short for me to wear with my PI leg warmers. I have big thighs for my short size, and my leg warmers just don't come up that high. I just ordered a pair of longer Terry shorts (on sale at terrybicycles.com for $40) to use with leg warmers. I just save my Ultras for warm/hot days when leg warmers are not required. Otherwise I get about 1" of nice thighfat showing. Not good for keeping the chilly air away, nor for aesthetics! :eek:

Emily