PDA

View Full Version : Time Trial

annie
06-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Almost didn't post this after reading Chelle's exciting race report!! But, you know, we can't all do races like that. :cool: So I decided to post anyway, with my little club time trial. Because I was so happy that I did it, and very pleased with my results, considering I was up against women that were 10-25 yrs. younger than me. (Me - 50 yrs. young and proud of it!)

I LIKE Time Trials. After numerous crashes, riding in a Crit will NEVER happen for me and even the pack riding in road races scares me for now. So that leaves the time trial. It's a personal effort, how much can you push yourself, how much can you hurt. Well, when I finished, I honestly don't think I could have gone another 10 seconds faster than I did. I gave it my all. So I am thrilled!!

I averaged 20. 2 mph on a 10-mile course that was uphill for 5 miles and then a turn-around and back for 5. I came in fourth place and got a little cash (half my entry fee.) I wish I had come in 3rd! But I didn't and I don't think I could have pushed any harder than I did. I loved the entire ride. No one used aerobars, so it was an even field. To do any better I would have to seriously train, train, train and I just don't want to do that at this point in my life. I finally realized that I am happy doing what I can without totally killing myself and ignoring everything else in my life. It was a great revelation. To be able to compete without feeling that I NEED to win to be happy with myself. Just doing it and doing as well as possible is a joy.

annie

CorsairMac
06-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Well done Annie! Sounds like you had fun too and that is what matters more than anything else. And won money besides...what a nice bonus!
Thanks for sharing

spazzdog
06-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Good job Annie!

A race is a race is a race grrl... we all want to know how you do, be you amateur or pro, way-young, mid-young or older-young :D

alison_in_oh
06-09-2005, 02:15 PM
I averaged 20. 2 mph on a 10-mile course that was uphill for 5 miles and then a turn-around and back for 5. I came in fourth place and got a little cash (half my entry fee.)

Holy cow, you ROCK! Way to go! Fourth place is awesome!

annie
06-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words, ladies! It was fun. I'll do it again. It's a great test of one's own abilities.

annie

chelle
06-10-2005, 06:26 PM
I encourage everyone to post their race results or stories weather your an amateur or a pro, doesn't matter to me. I like to read about racing because I know how racing has affected and changed my life forever. Racing gives me a venue to push myself past my comfore zone and into an unknown area. I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone else. Racing challenges me in a way that I can't get from daily life. If I'm out for a group ride I'm never as aggressive as I am when I'm on the race course. Anyone else feel the same?

RoadRaven
06-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Solidly impressed, Annie

Thats about a 32km average I think, and in our local club you would be Vet 2 and a serious contender in a TT.

TT is what I aspire to do, and like you, don't think criterion is for me - or the surge and sprint of a pack race. I'm aiming to be able to do at least a 34 km average over a 25km course and will enter my first TT race later in the year.

I like the challenge of beating my own times, and the challenge of doing it on my own without the support of others to cut a line in the air for me. Thanks for posting, I really appreciated reading your experience.

RoadRaven
06-11-2005, 12:36 PM
If I'm out for a group ride I'm never as aggressive as I am when I'm on the race course. Anyone else feel the same?

At the moment my 'races' are practice TT's and my sons, their friend, my partner and I all head off at timed intervals (of course, I always go first cause I'm slowest) and I am def more focussed & push myself harder in this situation... I set my self goals of where I have to be before each one passes me, and how far I have to get before I lose sight of each one after they have passed me.

My partner is often concerned that being passed by all will demoralise me, but it works the opposite way and fires me up, and each time we 'practice TT' I find the time before they catch me is getting longer and longer.

I also find that I push myself harder and through more discomfort when out for a ride with my sons, than when I am riding solo.

bikerINco
06-22-2005, 10:16 PM
i agree with Chille, in that racing pushes you to a level that you would have never thought possible. it's amazing how much faster you become during competition. you learn to listen to you body better. During races, my mind tends to run the whole range of emotions from 'this is so cool' to 'i have no business being out here'. you learn to control your thoughts and focus over time. it's a cool thing to experience.

nuthatch
06-23-2005, 03:08 AM
I also find that I push myself harder and through more discomfort when out for a ride with my sons, than when I am riding solo.

Me too! All I need to see are those hineys speeding away in front of me and that competitive, leg-bustin' devil comes out!

You racing gals should be so proud of yourselves!