PDA

View Full Version : Brooks still isn't broken in...

ginny
03-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Hi, I put a beautiful black brooks on my commuter back in October. I have ridden the bike every day but twice this winter. I have treated the saddle with conditioner about two or three times, and it still looks and *feels* brand new! i.e. - I haven't broken it in at all! :eek: What to do? I weigh just over 100lbs. Is it possible that it will take me forever to break in this saddle? I have ridden a friend's brooks that is broken in, and it's quite nice. I would like to do a tour on this bike this spring, but not so sure with the rock hard brooks on it :confused: Any ideas would be most welcome! Thanks ladies!

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-13-2009, 08:30 AM
The important question is- is the saddle comfortable to ride on or not? Are you having problems? If you are comfortable riding it then do nothing.

Both my Brooks' are 'broken in' in terms of having formed slightly to my sitbones, but they are anything but soft. I don't think the leather is designed to get soft- it's supposed to give firm support more than anything else. When I knock on both my Brooks with my knuckles it's almost like knocking on wood. Yet they are supremely comfortable and do have slight dents from my sitbones, but that's about it. This after riding thousands of miles on them. So what do you mean by 'broken in'...just the sitbone dent thing?

It's true you are very lightweight and that might be a factor.

My DH wanted to hurry the breaking in on one new Brooks he had and he applied a very generous amount of neatsfoot oil to both sides of it. That made it get broken in in a HURRY and he was pleased with the result. BUT- it did darken the color a lot- from honey to dark brown....and be aware that it would void the warrantee to apply anything but Brooks' own ProofHyde.

Biciclista
03-13-2009, 08:54 AM
we had a b17 that was that way. We sold it to a very large heavy man and he loved it.
So try Bleeks suggestion, slather that thing in grease. (And talk to whomever you bought it from first)

ilima
03-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I think it's a myth that Brooks saddles magically get broken in. It's supposed to be pretty hard an stay hard. I'd try adjusting your saddle position, such as fore/aft tilt, height, etc.

Biciclista
03-13-2009, 11:02 AM
untrue. They do get broken in. Perhaps what that means is what you are referring to as the myth.
It might take 10 years for it to be actually soft, but the saddle does change, in weeks or months; both visually and to the feel on your backside. On my saddle, you can see where my sitting bones are. there is the slightest indentation.

and remember, your sitting bones themselves must get conditioned.

Crankin
03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
My Brooks never got broken in, either. I hated the thing and sold it to someone on TE.
Maybe being a lightweight makes it worse?

Biciclista
03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Crankin, i think so. It took me longer to break mine in (i've had several!) but i know it's going to happen. I can ride a brand new brooks saddle though, (if it's not like that B17) and not have problems.
If it's positioned correctly, you should know it's good right away.

ginny
03-16-2009, 11:22 AM
thanks ladies! Yeah, I can attest that they do get broken in. They feel like my old riding saddles (horse riding) when they are broken in. I have been putting saddle conditioner on it fairly frequently - I guess it just takes time. Nope, it isn't that uncomfortable, but I wouldn't want to ride all day for 4 days on it on a tour at the moment... though, that may be a good way to break it in :rolleyes:. One of my friends' Brooks got rained on (not the best idea), but it rapidly broke in after that... since we haven't seen rain in months, I'm not sure is an option either. I'll just keep riding in it and one day, I'll look at it, and wahlah, it will be magically broken in :D

Triskeliongirl
03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Are you sure its not an adjustment issue? I moved a brooks saddle that I knew was broken in from my commuter to a new road bike, and it felt like it wasn't broken in again, UNTIL, I tweaked the nose down a tad. On my Brooks saddles, I level the nose, which means the rear is higher. And tiny adjustments can make a HUGE difference in comfort. Look at the saddle angle in this pic to see what I mean.

ginny
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I will say that I have had a hard time adjusting the saddle - I actually have to ride a bit nose high because otherwise, I slide forward and have a lot of weight in my hands. Fortunately, there is a ... well... a little valley (?) between the back and the nose when I have it that way and I rarely hurt myself... I still am not convinced the saddle is really adjusted correctly. Actually, I was going to mess with it this afternoon and also take off my studded tires. I just don't think we are getting winter this year...