PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bikes

andtckrtoo
03-12-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm looking for a commute bike that I'm hoping will double as an overnight touring bike occasionally. We have some great destinations that are around 40-60 miles away and would make romantic weekend getaways for DH and myself. But as DH is not really a cyclist, I'll be carrying everything. I was considering the Surly Cross Check - I've been coveting one for a long time - but one of my VP's tours and he said I should get the Long Haul instead. Should I or can I use the Cross Check to do what I want?

DebW
03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I've seen people tour on a Cross-Check. I think it's a very versatile option. Go for the Long Haul Trucker if you see yourself carrying 40+ lb of gear on the bike because that's when the long wheelbase will make a difference. If you'll use a trailer for the gear, a long wheelbase is not needed.

AnnieBikes
03-13-2009, 10:09 AM
My husband and I recently bought Specialized Tri-Cross bikes for touring and are extremely happy with them. They have all the eyelets for racks and panniers, are relatively lightweight (about 24#) and are very comfortable to ride. They do have dropped handlebars, which I like, and are incredibly comfortable to ride. It would definitely be usable for touring, commuting, and errands!

andtckrtoo
03-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks Deb! I ordered my Surly today. I'll get it in 4-5 days. I'm excited.