PDA

View Full Version : Ride Across the U.S. this summer

OrbeaJ
03-07-2009, 07:40 PM
]I'm a woman getting ready to ride with two guys across the country this summer with stop in Iowa for RAGBRAI. As much as I like my guy friends, I welcome the chance to have some estrogen on the trip with me. Below is my friend's ad.
Hello to anyone who may be interested in a limited support coast to
coast bicycle ride. Join us! We're setting off on
a coast to coast bicycling journey this coming summer--riding from the San Francisco Bay Area to Yorktown, VA following Adventure Cycling Association (ACA) maps.The Western Express route to Pueblo then the Transamerica map. We are between 45 and 54, two men, one woman. We also have one set of retired parents driving a support van for us. We are not partiers but do have an occasional alcoholic beverage. At this time, our departure date is July 2nd.

We will dip our rear wheels in the Pacific Ocean, then We’ll dip our front wheels in the Atlantic. We plan to take a detour from the route in Kansas to go up and ride RAGBRAI, as a break and because it's an event we do every year to the Mississippi River then ride back south to
rejoin our route somewhere below St. Louis. We would like to have at
least a dozen companions to help us defray the cost of our drivers,
support vehicle, and fuel. Cost will be around $800
apiece. We have recreational/race type bikes, we do not want to carry
anything on them.

We expect to take around 37 to 39 days in total so it means we’ll be
on the move for an average 130 plus miles per days--realizing this is optimistic. We do expectwe’ll take one day off per week for rest and laundry, or sightseeing, probably once a week. I expect most of us will fly home so we will pre-arrange our flights and plan the trip accordingly.

All food will be on your own; however there should be room in the van
for small coolers and a Coleman stove. Of course room for duffle bags
and camp chairs too. The ACA maps have details needed to find food
and services along the way.

The following links well get you to the maps we'll be using so you can
get a general idea of the route…

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/westernexpress.cfm
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm

If you’d like more information please contact me at RBskiir@aol.com.

Veronica
03-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Nice avatar pic! :D

Just so you all know, OrbeaJ is not an axe murderer. I don't know about her friends, however. :p

Veronica

Mr. Bloom
03-08-2009, 04:56 AM
You will pass about 30 miles south of our home near Evansville, In. Since "V" vouches for at least your character...feel free to call on us for any logistical support (or for a stay over/reprieve if conditions are inclement).

PM Silver or me and we'll give you cell phone #'s that you can save.