PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for First (and Last) road bike: Giant vs. Specialized vs. Trek?

tatormc
06-09-2005, 05:54 AM
It's great that the Giant/Specialized dealer has a 24 hour test ride policy. I would definitely take them up on that. I have to say that I love Giant. I bought an OCR 3 in April of last year. It was my first road bike and it was great to get me started. I rode it for a year and then just a few weeks ago I upgraded to the TCR Composite 2 and I love it. Since Giant's have the compact frame it seems easier to fit people. But you'll just have to visit the bike shop and try out a few to find what's best for you.

CorsairMac
06-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Trek head here - I now own 3 Treks, 1 of them vintage and love each and every one of them. My friend rode a Specialized Roubaix recently in a 1/2 century ride and it convinced her to switch from a MTB to a road bike and now shes' riding a vintage Trek too and loving it.
No matter what you go with...of Course ya gotta let us know!!!

Have Fun

newrider
06-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I spent 2 hours at the bike shop after work today! The salesguy was very nice, and tried very hard to help me not feel ignorant. Boy do I have a lot to learn!

He thought a 53 cm would be great based on my leg length, but when I tried that out in an actual bike, I felt very perched up and spread out. This was a nice used 2004 Cannondale R500 Fem, and would be a great bike (and in my price range) if it could fit. He did try different seats, and a smaller stem, but not much luck.

Next we tried a 51 cm 2005 R500 Fem, out of my price range, but trying to get a better idea of the fit/feel issue. It still felt too long somehow. Adjustments here, too, but still something weird about it, no control or something.

Next closest was a 50 cm Dolce, which felt by far the best. My weight felt a lot more balanced somehow, amongst hands, seat and feet. I finally had a slight bend in my elbows, which felt better, too.

He just had a hard time feeling like he was fitting me RIGHT in the Dolce 50cm. There IS a lot of space between the top tube and my crotch when I stand over it. Is that a bad thing, for some reason? The seat is not TOO high -- I'm not flexing way down to reach the hoods. I think I must just have a short waist, but long arms and legs?

He was very serious about ME knowing when the bike felt right. He consulted with the main "fit guy" about the 50 vs. 53, and they both sort of pondered it. I couldn't read their minds. Do you think this "feeling more in control on a 50 vs. a 53" is a newbie thing, being weirded out by the newness of the body position of road bike over hybrid? Like, a technique issue? Still, there was a BIG difference in balance and real control. But that could be technique, too? Hooray for the 24 hour test ride, which I will eventually take them up on, when we get this fit thing "dialed in" closer.

They are going to build a 51 cm Dulce for me to try tomorrow. And he sounds very willing to see what else he can do with the 53 and/or the 50 to improve the fit.

From this shop, on to the Trek dealer! Pretty tired by now, but I was on a roll and just wanted to compare while I still had the other shop's offerings in mind. The 1000 WSD is unavailable from the manufacturer at this point in time in a 51 cm (next size down was 47 cm which I did ride, but was definitely too small). So, sorry, Corsair, I don't get to try your favorite ride. I do like the idea, for sure! Seems like Trek would realize there's a BIG demand for Lance's ride....

Thanks for your input and encouragement. I'm going to ask about the OCR 2 and 3 tomorrow, too. At this point in time I can see the good side of buying lowest entry level, and riding it a year or two like you did, Tatormc, and by then will probably know a LOT more about what I need/want in a bike to upgrade after that.

I'll try not to litter the place with bike try-outs tomorrow....

skibum
06-10-2005, 06:03 AM
It's great that you are shopping around and asking a lot of questions about the fit of the bike. It's also good that the bike shop is listening to how you feel about the fit of the bike rather than just telling you what you need. When I got my first "grown-up bike" (rather than my old Schwinn from high school), the bike shop told me that a 54cm is what I needed based on my height (5'6" like you). They fit the bike to me by adjusting the seat, handlebars, etc but didn't have me try any other sizes. I figured they knew best and went with it.

I did fine for years on it but I was a pretty casual rider. I didn't really ride fast enough or far enough to experience the issues that might come from a poor fit. Well, last year, I started riding more and guess what? I started to notice that it didn't handle as well as it should and that I would get sore/tired from being too stretched out. I also had other riders comment that my bike looked too big for me based on my riding position. It turns out that I have longer legs and a shorter torso than your average 5'6" person so I really needed a bike with a shorter top-tube so that I wouldn't be stretched out so much.

While shopping around, I found that different manufacturers have different geometries on their bikes. I ended up with a 52cm bike but for some of the manufacturers ( I can't remember which), I would have had to go to a 50 or 51 to get something that would work for my shorter torso. So, while it may be that you just aren't used to being more stretched out on the road bike, it could also be that for your body measurement, the smaller bike is what you need.

Are any of the models you've tried women's specific? I think they tend to have a geometry that favors the longer legs / shorter torso so you might find one of those will work well for you.

spazzdog
06-10-2005, 06:08 AM
Research is always good... proper fit will make your cycling experience far more enjoyable.

For me, 5'7", 32" inseam, WAY short torso but chimpanzee length arms :D I generally fit well on a mens 52cm or 53cm. My old TRK1000 was a 53, My new (2003) Specialized Allez Comp is a 52cm and the frame is a tad more compact. I love it!

Happy shopping to you!

spazzdog

newrider
06-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Oh my gosh, what a difference it makes to have someone who knows how to fit a bike. I'll save you the grief of my shopping/hunting adventures and cut to the good stuff. :D

I decided to try the Trek shop yet again, and see how a men's bike might fit since the WSD are just not going to be forthcoming from Trek. I had called ahead, described my needs, and could tell I was talking to someone who knew how to fit women. In the shop, she (you heard me right) pulled down a bike, and had me nodding yes, yes, YES to every adjustment she made. She put the bike and me on a trainer for a good look, gave me riding position pointers, had me in love with the fit before I even took it down the road for a ride. I don't think it took 20 minutes. Wow.

I can't wait to pick up my Trek 1500 next week, when the shorter stem is in. All :) :) :) , no more :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yippee!

julbee
06-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Congrats on you new bike! The Trek 1500 is a nice bike! Very nice! I've been looking at them myself!

Hope the time "flies" for you while you patiently wait!

Best Wishes! :D

newrider
06-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks for your input and congrats, everyone! I appreciate this forum!

It's going to be a great summer, getting to know a new bike. :)

CorsairMac
06-14-2005, 01:41 PM
And Score 1 for another Trek lover!!! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm so happy for you and so jealous! Let us know when you pick it up!!!

Pax
08-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi there Newrider! Sorry to bump up an old thread but I'm headed to Chicago on Saturday to try a new Trek roadbike (a 1000/1000C or 1200/1200C) and thought I'd see what you think of your new bike??